What really is screwing gaming...

Hy Bound

Also, it requires a lot of manpower and money to develop to current-gen consoles, especially PS3, so companies has to be big as fuck or get financed by doing really crappy license titles.. Sad but true. There's no place for the smaller developers in the big-boy league. I'm putting my trust in XNA here, hoping that some indie developers gets noticed by M$ and gets financed to do a full-price-in-the-store-AAA-and-whatnot title for the console.

Which is another reason gaming is being screwed in my view.

Systems are too bloated.

I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but most of these "next-gen" games could have been made on last generation's hardware. Why did we bother expanding? I'm pretty sure we're pretty damned close to as far as we're gonna get in terms of 3D graphics(visual people check me on that), so why the push? All it's doing is putting more financial pressure on developers that would otherwise make some seriously great games. The PS3 is a disaster in that regard. Way too much power. Do we need it? Metal Gear was doing just fine on the PS2, so was Final Fantasy.

Of course, the guys behind games like this are truly trying to make a next-gen experience(we hope), but in my opinion, for everyone else, just stick with something simpler. Example of this:

Devil May Cry 4. Was there any reason that this HAD to be on the next gen hardware? Any reason at all? As far as I can tell, it just looks somewhat prettier, but everything they did for it could have been done on an earlier gen system. So why didn't they just do that?

Devil May Cry 4. Was there any reason that this HAD to be on the next gen hardware? Any reason at all? As far as I can tell, it just looks somewhat prettier, but everything they did for it could have been done on an earlier gen system. So why didn't they just do that?

Because Capcom gets $60 bucks instead of $50 bucks.

There's a huge leap in graphics quality from the last generation, ESPECIALLY for the PS3. GameCube and XBox graphics can still be pretty decent, but it hurts me to look at most PS2 games now. Not to mention this is the HD generation. Some people may not care, but I personally am tired of staring at a blurry mess.

I don't know. The 360 easily has the strongest catalogue of games so far. It's true that most of the strongest offerings have been first party or multi-platform, but there are some serious gems to be had. Much more than can be found on competing consoles anyway (as of now). I hope the other two catch up eventually.

Very, very true. I'd love to see that kind of 3rd party output somewhere this generation.

Yeah, I've been waiting for that for a long time. Remember how many good RPG's there were during the Playstation era? The ps2 was pretty much the same. There really aren't many games I'm looking forward to other than sequels (GTA, MGS, FF13.)

There's a huge leap in graphics quality from the last generation, ESPECIALLY for the PS3. GameCube and XBox graphics can still be pretty decent, but it hurts me to look at most PS2 games now. Not to mention this is the HD generation. Some people may not care, but I personally am tired of staring at a blurry mess.

If a game has a good story, gameplay, and characters I tend to not care about graphics...480p isn't that bad anyways...GO BUY Beyond Good & Evil NOW.

There really aren't many games I'm looking forward to other than sequels (GTA, MGS, FF13.)

Sequels are what pissing me off in gaming as well. I don't mind them if the change the gameplay or do something original, but stick with the main focus of the first game, but now, I'm sick of it.

Yeah, but that's graphics. Graphics aren't the end all be all of next gen. If they were, you wouldn't have bought a Wii.

What's really scary is that original games that could be a great game just get ignored - not just by the people who have no clue about games in general, but, often, also by people who are somewhat knowledgeable on games - because they're afraid that it's just gonna be one of those crap games that take up 4/5 of the game isle at walmart. Granted, a lot of people can actually read, but its still a big problem. So now we have a great game sitting on the shelf, while people keep coming and getting the trash games. Now the companies quit making the great games that real gamers want to see.

Yeah, but that's graphics. Graphics aren't the end all be all of next gen. If they were, you wouldn't have bought a Wii.

Well, obviously the Wii has a different objective than the other next-gen consoles. For the 360 and PS3, graphics *are* the end all be all of their success (except for *maybe* better online service). They even have the same controllers for crying out loud. :P

You know what's really screwing up gaming? People here are talking about games rather than playing them.

You are all responsible. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go blow up some motherships to the music of Yoko Kanno.

Playing them doesn't effect that. Not buying them and pirating the games.. now that is screwing up gaming.

Sequels are what pissing me off in gaming as well. I don't mind them if the change the gameplay or do something original, but stick with the main focus of the first game, but now, I'm sick of it.

I appreciate the sentiment, but I tend to disagree with that in general. Sequels don't need to overhaul that much to be compelling in most cases and I've been satisfied with them since the 80's. Why break what's not broken?

Also, I think gamers are a bit more open to lesser known games than people assume. Persona has been a constantly been a huge hit despite it being sold strictly for the hardcore crown, Suikoden have since been a lock for being ported over, games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero basically came out of nowhere and it's not a phenomenon and a bunch of smaller games are doing very well on the download services. Then there's the freakish successes of something like Puzzle Quest too, which it deserves.

There always were the underappreciated games since the NES days and just because they're out there, it doesn't mean the whole system is broken. And someone said DMC4 should've been for the older generation consoles? But why? I think the HD leap is big enough for most publishers, especially the forward thinking (at least technically) companies like Capcom. Also, harp all about how the new generation of hardware comes in and nudges the old one out, but that's how the market moves. Not just the developers/publishers, but gamers in general tends to move forward with the hardware. It's not some evil conspiracy. Also, it's business. Get used to it.

When looking at Nintendo games, I would agree that "more and more games are made based off of that same business-principle." However, after the bright refreshing light of valve shined on me, I realized that some games could still be original. Based on intimate personal relations and satisfying story lines, games like Half Life (2 etc.) and Portal show a whole new idea put into gaming. Of course some people may disagree with me, but it was because I had never heard of any valve game before I played it, and my low (or lack of) expectations contributed the the enjoyment that I got out of them.

Of course, I still play Mario and Zelda games because they were the originals, and they have the right to keep the same game idea for that reason.

I had a magazine a few months back that counted and listed the new IPs published by every big game publisher between 2006-2007. If I recall, Nintendo was one of those with the fewest. I want to say Ubisoft had the most. I need to find that article again.

Nintendo has such a great track record for quality, it really would be nice to see what they could do with more new projects.

I dont think sequels are always that bad. Take FF for example, lets face it the name is there to let us know its their front line RPG for the year, but at the end of the day they aren't really sequels. They don't follow the same story lines, exist in the same universe, or really carey a whole lot over from each other except for cid, chocobo's and small efeminate male heroes. :-)

Sports games, well lets face it all they do year after year is change the roster, but unless a game is letting me recreate my high school years, I wanna know the players and teams. I find it hard to understand why people find the most approachable and easy to grasp games so evil.

Whats ruining games is video game snobs themselves. A lot of you (yes you there's a ton of videogame snobbery to be had on this site and I am no exception) Forget that games are meant to be fun. I understand the critic mentality but people forget that through all the hype through all the bull, its a hobby, its fun, but its a hobby. Its funny when I hear people cry and complain about a game because its not realistic enough, or not realistic looking and they they talk about how much they love (insert RPG or platformer here.)

Nintendo has such a great track record for quality, it really would be nice to see what they could do with more new projects.

EXACTLY. Nintendo puts all their focus into their main series, when all I wonder is what if they put that much effort into making new franchises? I mean look at Pikmin, that series is friggin' awesome (in my opinion of course)! I'm not gonna lie, I love some Mario spinoffs such as Mario Kart and Mario Strikers, but man it would be pretty awesome for Ninty to bust out with something completely awesome and new and put their whole reputation behind it.