*NO* EarthBound 'Malevolent Magicant'

djpretzel

I was about to comment on the crackling, but it's gone now.

I must say that I think the percussion on this is excellent, that crisp sound. This song moves from some orchestra thing with beats to electronica.

2.13: Oh yeah. You gotta love that programming

2.52: Huh?

Oh oh, the crackling's back, and then it fades out. Hmmm, didn't like that bit.

But I enjoyed this mix overall, so I'm gonna say

YES

I like something out of the norm once in a while. This is a fantastic example. Though...

The main focus of this mix is the percussion. I'm assuming that drumloops are used, as it sure as hell sounds like it. As we know, drumloops are frowned upon unless used for the benefit of everyone, to put it nicely. However, the remaining components of the arrangement are weak (and the crackling is annoying). The found the mix overall to be unappealing. Same repeating melody over and over and over and over and over.

NO

A bit repetitive, but after listening to the original, well, not too much to work with there. Ideally he would've picked something with more musical ideas to ReMix, but oh well. Anyways, the sounds here are great, there are some really edgy and different sounds here mixed with familiar sounds. The drum loop isn't overused in my opinion, there's some variation in it, maybe this was a Recycle loop? oh yeah, and crackling was used well. This is over the bar in my opinion, not by much but I liked it.

yes

Yes

I didn't think it was THAT damn repetitive. It loops a couple of times, but it wasn't enough to disapprove of. It's not that long of a mix anyways.

The last 30 seconds threw me off...kinda a weird outro thingy happenin', but I've never played Earthbound. I tried listenin' to the original and promptly wanted to throw up. I like what he did to this mix. Good instrumentation, nice execution.

I think that is a drum loop, but this isn't one of those mixes where the drumloop makes or breaks it. If you were to remove it and create your own, it'd still be fine.

[22:19] <shadow|> hey, can you spread the word that the Earthbound - Malevolent Magicant song is actually for Mother / Earthbound 0

[22:19] <shadow|> also, the location has changed, it's ...something, but I won't tell you what, cause this is the Judges Decisions forum, and I cant give away links. Sorry you lameass.[22:19] <shadow|> (it's on the waiting list for the judges)

New location, kiddies:

EDIT: NO NEW LOCATION!!! GO AWAY!!!!!!!!

I appreciate an outlandish tune. I'm usually the first to give praise to an atonal, catchy ditty or rhythmically flubbed beat that has certain amusingly peculiar elements. But when a mix gets to the point where the lead carries the melody through the same damn loop 46 times (including the fade-outs and the octave shifts), it's gone beyond all extremes. The original is monotonously dreary to begin with, but to exaggerate its faults to such an extent is crossing over the line of eccentric into exasperating. We judge the remix, the end product we are given, not its source of inspiration. Regardless of the result, extra points should not be awarded simply on the basis of remixing a nasty track, or conversely, an appealing one.

That said, I love how the crackling backdrop textures complements the tumbling drumline. Although the string lead annoys me to no end, it commands my attention from 2:21 to 2:42 when it's giving a one-fingered salute to the original with a dark, ominously boppin' tune, unlike during the sequencing before it. If the short-strung melody wasn't repeatedly hammered into my skull, there would almost be a certain perversely enjoyable quality to the chaos. I'd really like to see these highlights made more prominent and consistent. But as it is now, it's more of a canary in the gutter.

NO