OCR01697 - Final Fantasy VI "A Day in the Life of a Gambler"

djpretzel

This is lovely. I really, really like piano ReMixes, and this one is great. I just got a new computer and have spent half the day re-downloading everything via Bittorent, and this is a nice refreshing new mix that is giving me energy. Keep up the good work!

Oh man... this is beautiful! Is this an actual recording of a piano? if it is... one of THE best... the sound is beautiful. You can totally see Mr. Rogers walking around the neighborhood with this one. Fantastic, absolutely. Congrats.

~jace

As soon as this came on at the DoD listening party, it was pretty clear to everyone who's entry this was. I remember it being good back then, but this re-recorded version is like a super nova compared to the night light the first one was.

The whole piece is infused with new energy, and it has a strong forward momentum. Even the beginning, where it is supposed to meander a bit has good focus. Nice interpretation throughout, and great shifting moods. I wasn't totally sold on this at DoD time, as it was lacking that 'je ne sais qua', but this is a huge improvement. I certainly hear it now.

You should be super proud of this. Excellent work.

As soon as this came on at the DoD listening party, it was pretty clear to everyone who's entry this was. I remember it being good back then, but this re-recorded version is like a super nova compared to the night light the first one was.

The whole piece is infused with new energy, and it has a strong forward momentum. Even the beginning, where it is supposed to meander a bit has good focus. Nice interpretation throughout, and great shifting moods. I wasn't totally sold on this at DoD time, as it was lacking that 'je ne sais qua', but this is a huge improvement. I certainly hear it now.

You should be super proud of this. Excellent work.

this is the same version that was submitted to DoD :P

I think it might have something to do with it not being on the $10 speakers they used at the listening party.

lol Ya, that will do it. I won't even give a song an honest review unless I've heard it on a good pair of heads phones and a good set of speakers.

Forgot to add... loved this mix and I'm not even a big fan of piano solos. I am usually partial to electric guitar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I really loved this. The beginning kinda reminded me of the very beginning of the intro to The Office, where they show those little shots of Scranton while playing the solo piano. I could see this playing there for some strange reason. Anyways, the song just plain kicks ass. Great piano playing Mr T.!

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm new here. I introduced myself over on the newbie introduction thread, so check me out if you wish.

This is my first review, so let's see how I do!

I like the introduction. Some nice, lush chords are a good way to go. I always like hearing source material early on, and I like how JJT plays through the main melody once, before having a little bridge at 0:38.

The pause at 1:28 is nice. I like how he then transitions into Searching Friends. The drawn-out note at 2:08 is perfectly beautiful.

The repetition of the same note/rhythm from 2:11 to 2:40 or so gets kinda boring, but I like how it then changes back to the best rendition of Setzer in this mix.

JJT has a long wind-down for this mix, from 3:18 to the end at 4:00, but the leading bass melody really helps keep it interesting, right up 'til the last note. The ritard at 3:48 is perfect.

Overall, an excellent mix. Not one of my most favorite piano solos, but it's got some good moments. I give it... 3.5 out of 5 stars. Above average.

• 1 month later...

I don't think JigginJonT knows how to make a mediocre piano arrangement. It must be some kind of physical impossibility for him. If he ever sat down to purposely make something that didn't blow everyone's minds, his hands would probably freeze up on him, and then start punching his lights out or something.

Odd theories aside, what a great piece. I'd been waiting for a symphonic arrangement of Setzer's theme, but solo piano is just as great, and he really covers it perfectly, I couldn't ask for more.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01697 - Final Fantasy VI "A Day in the Life of a Gambler"