Your Biggest Mistake As An Musician

TheSnowStorm

Piano is relatively easy to go back and I can still play and read notes. That's more than enough compared to someone who doesn't know how to play at all.

I also was pretty close to being competitive when I was 1st and 2nd grade (as in professional competitions). I regret not diving deeper, but then there was no money in my family to feed that rich-kid habit. No money to ever buy an instrument either. But I know I had the ability too.

As a kid, our family had this HUGE organ/hammond/whatever vintage keyboard thingie. It had two keyboards and all kinds of pedals and buttons and stuff. And as I recall, really cool sounds. AND it was situated in my room because there was no room elsewhere. 100% real thing, not a toy.

It sucks immensely that we sold it because no one really needed it. I didn't go into music until I was 13 and we sold it when I was maybe 8 or something. Too bad I didn't realise that I would start to practice the noble art of music because I could really use that bloody thing today. Plus it would look SUPERCOOL in my livingroom. Dammnn....

Oh yeah, and of course there is stuff released on the internet (including some of my stuff on this site) back in the day when the skills weren't maybe quite up to par. But then again that was back in the day and you've got to start somewhere so no regrets. Yay.

Not taking music at GCSE level. I got convinced by my mother to take drama/theatre studies instead, and I f**king hated it. Wanted to drop it after a couple of months. >_<

Even more so because when I was in primary school I played tuba in the school band and could read music - then I stopped music completely for several years until I started playing electric guitar, and in that time I'd forgotten how to read music. So I can now only do tablature.

Sure would be nice to read score :(

Started playing the piano recently, and I regret not being able to pursue the piano or violin much earlier because if I did, my hands wouldn't be in the shape they're in right now... However, I did begin the clarinet when I was in elementary but chose not to chase it after a year because of some financial issues. I really did yearn to play the piano though because two of my closest friends had pianos in their houses yet I never really had any motivation to play the piano until I practically got a free piano (only 61 keys, but still, it's free), and my passion and interest for classical music (well, anime and video game music) was at an all-time high.

Whoops for the rant 8-O

Not learning the piano early in my music career.

Stopping saxophone lessons during my sophmore year in high school

Not trying out for all district band during my sophmore year in high school.

Not buying a pad or something for my mouthpiece to bite on. Now I can't get used to the feeling AND I have these stupid indents on my moutpiece. Meh, I need to buy a new mouthpiece anyway.

I shouldn't have quit the piano my junior year of high school. It would have saved me two semesters of college at least, and I'm still not as good as where I was.

Also, I should have told my parents to figure out a way for me to go to Johns Hopkins for a double major in comp sci / music instead of taking the scholarship to Iowa State. I've had a good five years here, but because we have no graduate program and no funding, there's not been a lot of opportunity for me. And film score wannabes can forget it in Iowa :(

Moving to a city where the local music scene is limited to one "genre of music".

Basically, it's like everywhere else that consists of lots of Deathcore bands.

And it's not easy to impress people anymore if you don't put alot of breakdowns and gang shouts into your songs.

- Not practising enough. I am not a virtuoso by any means.

- Not joining a band full time. I've only done preformances with "random" people that I know.

- Not joining this site until today, even though I've lurked these forums for two years!:tomatoface:

- Not practising enough. I am not a virtouaso by any means.

- Not joining a band full time. I've only done preformances with "random" people that I know.

- Not joining this site until today, even though I've lurked these forums for two years!:tomatoface:

people aren't born virtuoso's. they become them.

* Not learning theory better prior to coming to college.

Oh, that must had fucked you over. My teacher is one of the few in our school that actually teach theory.

Other blunders of mines:

*Not paying attention during theory lessons. I flunk a midterm that focused on nothing but theory.