Super Mario 64 - Carousel Hell

JH Sounds

Here's first part of an idea I've been kicking around: an arrangement of the haunted house merry-go-round music in Super Mario 64. It's sort of a hip hop thing.

*earlier version removed*

My remix (updated): "Carousel Hell" (v2)

Source tune: Super Mario 64 - "Merry-Go-Round"

This started playing in my head when I first played the game, but I wasn't able to get it out until now. :wink:

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

I haven't heard the orginal, so no comment here.

PRODUCTION

[X] Drums have no energy

[X] not interesting enough IMO

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

Not done yet I assume

PERSONAL COMMENTS

I don't want to sound like the antagonist here, but I think this composition needs more variety, a far more interesting drum beat that changes. I know this is a 4 bass drum beat and 2 off beat snare song (aka four on the floor I THINK), thus it isn't meant to be too unique, but dude...this is OCR, they don't like plodding drums that try to drive the compo along, but just give it a bland, repetitive feel. I also know that this is only 1:08 long, but still I can already get the gist of where this going. Nowhere. I suffer from this problem too quite often, so I know how frustrating it can be. Like I said you've got potential, because your production is actually not bad, and EQing is pretty good. At least your songs insofar aren't overcompressed, that's a biggie :D

If you need an example of what I'm getting at, here you go :P

nvm...

If you want, PM me and I can give you some nice midi scores of drum loops and whatnot.