Pokémon Red/Blue- PikaPoisin (Viridian Forest)

The beginning is just a really distant version of the actual song, the PIKACHU sample is annoying and the rest is just a cover with almost completly generic drums.

Sorry to sound mean, but this would be a "no override." It's a decent song, but it's a violation of the submission standards because you did almost no arranging at all.

Good god I sound harsh, don't I? Sorry.

Haus already covered source usage, so I won't get into that.

DnB really isn't my thing, haven't heard much, and don't understand what I've heard anyway. It has a familiar sound, I guess that's the DnB.

Simple leads atop a pretty cool bass and some pretty dull sounding drums. In other words, you need to work on:

Making it YOURS,

Making the lead and stuff more interesting,

Processing/replacing drums and drum sequences to make them more interesting,

Replacing/reworking the strings,

Making the intro far less annoying,

...and making the whole thing less repetitive. There's a few instances where you're just repeating the same thing over and over. Sure, it's DnB, but there's still room for variation.

Overall, good start, but I have a feeling you can do way better.

And you should probably get rid of the Pikachu sample.

Well for starters, I don't know what people here are talking about with the drums. Sure they're nothing special samplewise, but for a new remixer, they're put together very intelligently. Kudos.

Anyhow, the first :36 is a midi rip. Not ok. The pika sample, whatever. Could be there, could not be, i'm impartial. One problem I see is that you kinda just jump straight into it; if you didn't have the midirip at the beginning, there would be no lead-in or intro. Try starting with just drums, or just drums with bass support, and then work in the lead after a few go throughs. Also, speaking of the lead, think about finding a new one. Its not a great sample, and it would add a lot to have a good main sample.

Repitition is a factor here. You do some different things over the song, but the problem is most of them aren't THAT different, and oftentimes you come back to the same patterns multiple times. As an excercise, try starting with the source, then deviating from it slightly. Then keep doing that until it hardly sounds like the source at all. Somewhere inbetween those two extremes, you'll have made something that you can use as your own, but isn't just the piece.

Try refining this. This piece interests me, though there are many definite flaws, and I'd love to see you make it into something intelligent and professional.

• 1 month later...

This song fits really well with the DnB style. The awkward chromatic sounds of the original make into a perfect DnB lead.

Your bass and lead synths are spot-on. The bass rocks my subwoofer, so it's perfect. I don't think this song sucks as bad as everyone else says it does. It has plenty of variation to me. After a while though, it does seem to just go on and on, like after 2:20 or so.

And yeah, it's got cool effects, but the pikachu is rather cheesy. Haha...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the necro-bumping, but I was just checking out the WIPs section today and saw this.

If you're still doing this, I'd ditch the GameBoy sample-thing completely. If you're not willing to do that, then at least cut it down a lot. It's too long.

But the Pikachu scream actually made me laugh, so that's something this remix has going for it.

I don't think this remix would make OCR standards, but it's not that bad. More work and It would be at least a "NO, RESUB" in the future.