OCR00205 - Final Fantasy VI "Death on the Snowfield"

m68030

Reminds me of the video idea I had for this remix (Flash, or whatever). I posted this a long time ago, but it's fallen off the end of the earth, so I'm going to repost it here.If anyone wants to take a crack at it, go ahead:

Has anybody made this movie yet? If not I want to take a shot at it. Hopefully I don't screw it up. I plan to do it animated... but not with flash because I just dont' like the look of flash. It's not very... artistic. So I'm gonna do it the long painful way. Ugh, but hopefully, in the end, it will all be worth it. If I ever finish it that is. It would really help if I didn't have to waste so much of my time doing homework. yuck. But if I do finish it, I'll try and get it up on the net and post the link (this may not be for a very long time, btw.) So wish me luck! I'll need it most likely.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this song. It was the first one I ever downloaded from this site, and is easily my favorite. AmIEvil is a great ReMixer. This song has such a lonely, barren sound to it, it's chilling in a good way... when the beat comes in it's decidedly evil.....and I like it! :D Such an amazing track. I never get tired of it. One thing I think could've been better is the ending...it's already amazing, and beautiful...but just as that last guitar note plays, I always imagine that deliciously dark beat coming in for another couple bars... :D Anyways, this is not only one of my favorite FF ReMixes or OCReMixes, but easily one of my favorite songs of all time, of any genre or artist. It's that good. If you don't have it yet, get it ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

I must thank AmIEvil, for were it not for this remix, I would have never found this site, nor would I keep coming back to it like I do. This remix is absolutley incredible, and even that's an understatement. The whole minimalist arrangement that has been discussed here is in my opinon the very thing that makes it work. It's simple, its raw, and its emotional. I eagerly download and listen to all of AmIEvil's remixes.

• 2 weeks later...

Man Props! there is this moment when your playing a video game for the first time were you get this feeling of Aw. any one of you who have played games should know this feeling. its harder to get now days. but your Remix of this song has broght me back to the aw. i felt like i was 13 sitting in front of my tv in a druling state of aw. Thank you. If you liked Final Fantacy 6 / 3. you must lission to this. It was in the words hole meaning Awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Evil and Monkey Machine's songs are always playing on my computer. This one is easily one of the best on the site for me, and unlike the previous poster, I'd pick this one over Terra in Black. (Though obviously that is a quality piece of work too.) I'd love to see Evil's take on some Secret of Mana, Evermore, or Illusion of Gaia songs. I have a feeling he could churn out quite a few more beautiful songs.

• 1 month later...

**insert emotional sobbing here** The first time I heard this mix it made me stand still and drop what I was doing to listen. Unfortunately I was chopping vegetables with a very sharp knife.

This mix is lovely and emotionally powerful, with a beautiful oboe cut-through. I especially like the fade of the first part of the tune. The harmony also works very well, although it could probably be developed more as it kinda disappears behind the melody. As do the strings at the start. Apart from that (and that was only my very poor opinion) it's a lovely remix :) Thank you for calming down my playlist :)

The first time I heard this game was, at the beginning of my first Final Fantasy six game, I was nearly moved to tears by how beautiful it was. Words cannot express how beautiful I think this remix is, but it definetly does justice to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, just wow. I like alot of AmIEvil's stuff but this one takes the cake (of what I've heard so far). The playing and structure is so beautifully elegant and restrained. I have no complaints, but there is a single thing I would have done slightly differently:

Whenever the wind instrument joins the guitar at 1:33 I would have slightly raised the volume of the backing instrumentation which currently gets lost in the mix (if it's there at all) because it could have eased the rise in emotion more effectively.

Overall, this is for sure one of my very favorite remixes. It's truly near perfection. If only this was in the game. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This mix is a nice "Chill out" type of song. An often re-mixed theme, but the arrangement is nicely done. My only disagreement is that it takes a while to "get to the point." It also has the standard, trancy, 8 measures between new sections or instruments. This leads to a certian predictability in the progression. The ending brings back the first 8 measures from the beginning of the song. Not very exciting, but, again, it fits.

A solid mix with very standard structural elements that lends a good listening quality. No risk taking, here!

On my Winamp Media Library, it's got a 4/5 stars.

This was the first song I downloaded from OCR, and back then, when it first came out, it blew me away. It was also released at the same time Ailsean's mix of "Terra In Black" was released, which also blew me away as well. I had no idea that people were doing remixes of video game music, it was most awe inspiring.

Even though he hasn't submitted a mix in a long while, AmIEvil is still my favorite mixer. This song is just a testament to, even though it is years old, the soul that he is able to capture with every song he completes.

I don't love this song because of the original version, I love it because of all the emotion that AmIEvil was able to capture. To this day I am still able to play this song and not have any technical qualm with it, it has the same affect on me. It has withstood where a lot of older mixes have been eroded away by the newer additions to the site. And even though this is not my favorite song on the site, nor even my favorite AmIEvil song, (that would be "LetThereBeLight") it deserves a lot of appreciation. AmIEvil was one of the first to up the quality that is taken for granted today.

The warrior stands in the snow, turned red with the blood of his enemies and comrads. Looking around, the death sheds through the pure innocent of the snow that looks to be light.

He feels like he is in a sea, that does not end. For he sees death on the Snowfield, nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

This is incredible.

It has been so LONG since someone really did a great job remixing a song as varied as this one. The guitar is so perfectly played (and not really out of tune, either!). I love the piano the most, though. The mood of the piece is really set by that, and it does a great job making it work.

:twisted:

• 2 months later...

I have to say, I really appreciate this song and the obvious effort put into it. Definitely a keeper in my book.

However, I am also slightly confused by it. I distinctly remember a song somewhere that sounded almost exactly like this, only with an opera-ish voice addition, and no background. I don't remember the file too well, but I'll check around for it. As for everyone else, if someone finds out about this, can you help me clarify? It may be just pure coincidence (sp.?), but I'd still like to know.

Apart from that, I really like this song, the crackling snow in the background, mixed with the almost breathy instrumental additions make this very reminiscent of the scene in the intro to FF6.

Keep it up, and I'll look into that other song, see if they might not even be copying you or something... god, I hope not :?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00205 - Final Fantasy VI "Death on the Snowfield"