*NO* Arkanoid 'Nintendo Meets Commodore'

djpretzel

The FTP l/p do actually work -djp

Hey dj pretzel!

Before I go on to tell you where to find my submission and stuff, let me personally compliment you on your site. Overclocked ReMix is one of the coolest (and best designed) websites I have ever seen. I don't know how many songs I have downloaded from your site so far, and the talented ReMixers that you showcase are crazy! (In a good way, of course.) Oh, and by the way, Revival Day Impoetus plays in my headphones every day!

Now, on to my song. After listening to slaveone's c64 ReMix, and just sitting in awe at how catchy it was, I knew I had to try this. I happen to be a pretty damn good clarinet and tenor sax player, so I do have some experience -- just not with electronica. I remember playing Arkanoid on my old NES, and I had happened to play Arkanoid on a Commodore at a friend's house. I realized that they go pretty well together, save for the fact that the Nintendo version didn't have much music except for the intro and GAME OVER screen.

I might be a n00b at this (newbie, if you don't play FPSes online), but I personally like this song for a first try. Plus, in my friends' and relatives' opinions, it's really good for MTV Music Generator! ^_^

Enough yakin'. Here's where you can find it:

The username is _____ and the password is _____. This is the ftp to my online comic (that I haven't updated in about a month, because of schoolwork), so I am on your honor that you won't tell this to anybody!!! (If you do, I will curse the name of dj pretzel for life and become a catholic nun!)

If I don't make the cut, then I'll try again. If I do, then I'll still do another ReMix. Either way, you might hear a Super Punch Out!! ReMix next.

I don't know if it's fair to compare this to other arrangements of the same tune, but I'm going to anyway. Because this pales in comparison. First of all, the bass pretty much stays the same despite the implied chord progression and melody. Now, I'll admit the drum work sounds good at times, but I don't think that's enough to redeem it. But it's what I hear radio DJs do all the time. They get a beat going and get a melody that fits with the beat, but then they throw in another part that's totally off key from the rest of it, but since it's rhythmic, they keep it going. It's painful. This isn't quite THAT bad, but it's still lacking in the music department.

NO

D

The chiptune and synth leads are dull and the bass is very simplistic. The transitions are too rough: the panned synth from 1:51 to 2:13 really irks me when it fades in while the lead fades out, resulting in complete atonality. I understand where you’re going with the chiptune samples, but they’re cut and dry and unpleasantly piercing. At the end, the explosion with the ditty following it sound completely out of place. This needs a lot of work.

NO

oops, I put off voting on this one and then forgot about it. anyways...

There's a weird 'snap' on a lot of these sounds, as if they had 1ms decays on the amp envelope or as if the sounds weren't sampled properly, like the waveform was at a high phase angle. Whatever the cause, it's not easily noticed but when you do hear it, it's quite annoying!

Samples sound rather dry, they're not high quality but try using some delay on the leads and some reverb on the pads.

The structure on this track is a bit erratic for my tates, it just doesn't seem to flow at the right pace, especially that weird ending. This track defintately needs improvement.

no