12 year old boy kills man to protect mother

DrumUltimA

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/01/AR2008040101090_pf.html/

The 12-year-old boy had finished his homework and was playing a video game when he heard his mother cry out. Rushing to her aid, he found her on the kitchen floor, straddled by a fellow resident of their Prince George's County boarding house, the man's hands wrapped tightly around her neck, the boy said yesterday.

"I kept saying, 'Stop! Stop! Stop!' " the boy said, describing the events of Monday night. "But he just ignored me. He didn't stop. He just kept hurting her."

The boy said he grabbed a knife and swung, slashing 64-year-old Salomon Noubissie across the neck and opening an artery. Noubissie was fatally wounded.

Pretty nuts. But he was playing a video game. Chalk one up for violent video games!

Would I have been able to do the same thing in his situation, I wonder?

Hmm.

I've had those typical machismo fantasies, but I was like 5'3 and 140 and adults still seemed BIG AND SCARY so I'd make sure I was at a distance.

If the kid gets in trouble, whoever got him in trouble is an asshole. Someone was going to die, and it was eighter going to be the (presumably) innocent mom or the certainly guilty chokerr.

Technically not self-defense. The boy wasn't attacked, the mother was.

True, but according to the article, a defense claim can be used when third parties are violently attacked in Maryland. Also, as of the date of the article, police had not yet filed charges against the boy.

If I remember my knowledge of Maryland law correctly, he will not be charged due to the fact he was protecting his mother. All stories point to the same conclusion, that he did what he had to do. And given the evidence that the man was not cooperating even though he was bleeding to death, that cements that the man was hostile.

Bravo, young one. May your heroism ring through the ages, and may you never carry the burden of guilt for too long. Death is never anything to celebrate, but that any of us would take destiny by the reins and offer our lives to save another we love is certainly the greatest deed that one could hope to be known for in years to come.

I'm curious to see if they ever find out why the guy went nuts. I mean, if he didn't die at the hospital, I wonder if he would've went back to normal and continued to lead a normal life... you know, assuming he doesn't get a huge prison sentence for attempted murder. I wonder how his family's doing...

(Not to say I don't care about the boy and his mother, but 90% of the article is about them, so I'm not exactly curious about them anymore...)

From a legal perspective there's absolutely no way this kid gets into any trouble. As was mentioned in the report, Maryland has a statute about a third party's actions. I don't believe any state would even bring forth charges against him. It was manslaughter definitionally speaking, but simultaneously, the actions of the boy were clearly to prevent what he and a reasonable third party would perceive to be murderous toward his mother. In the law, if a person has a truly reasonable belief that the tortious actions of an individual will in all probability result in immediate death to another, equal force, in this case force of death, can be used for the protection of the victim, whether it is yourself or another. Obviously application will vary with circumstances, but as I stated earlier, I can't conceive of any state that would pursue any prosecutorial action against the boy in this case given these facts.

Bravo, young one. May your heroism ring through the ages, and may you never carry the burden of guilt for too long. Death is never anything to celebrate, but that any of us would take destiny by the reins and offer our lives to save another we love is certainly the greatest deed that one could hope to be known for in years to come.

Alright, spill it. Which book did you steal this from? (Lol, I kid, I kid.) (Unless, you really did quote from a book, which I'm not assuming you did...)

But yeah, this kid's a hero. I don't know if I could have done the same thing...Even though my mom is the closest friend I have in the entire world.

From a legal perspective there's absolutely no way this kid gets into any trouble. As was mentioned in the report, Maryland has a statute about a third party's actions. I don't believe any state would even bring forth charges against him. It was manslaughter definitionally speaking, but simultaneously, the actions of the boy were clearly to prevent what he and a reasonable third party would perceive to be murderous toward his mother.

yeah. i think that there could be non-fatal ways to deal with him in this situation, but a 12 year old probably wouldnt even be thinking about that.