Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

DarsMaul

Lies and slander. For FFVII there was plenty of prequel room but basically no sequel room, given that the game tells the story of the very END of an eons-long conflict between Jenova and the Planet (vis-a-vis the Ancients). For FFVIII there's tons of sequel room but very little prequel room (as Cid and Edea created SeeD not-too-long before the game started).

Touche, sir. Advent Children was visually impressive but added nothing to the story for precisely this reason. They had to revive about four different people from the dead (Sephiroth, Jenova, Rufus, and Tseng), completely invent some other things (the antagonist triplets, "geostigma"), and ignore stuff that actually happened in the games (why are Zack and Aeris still hanging around? Shouldn't they have 'returned to the Planet' by now? Didn't Midgar get all blown up at the end of the game?) in order to make it work at all.

I really don't understand why they took the path they did with Kadaj, Yazoo, and Loz. For the first half of the movie (and the entirety of the movie when I first watched it in Japanese), I just assumed they were leftover Sephiroth "clones" that avoided death at the Northern Crater. Hell, that would have made way more sense. Clones in the game carried Jenova's head and were able to mimic Sephiroth. Kadaj absorbs Jenova's head and becomes Sephiroth. The whole "remnant" business was pure silliness.

Then again, I stand almost completely alone in my enthusiasm for Dirge of Cerberus. While the gameplay mechanics could have used a lot more finesse, I felt the story was rather original and intriguing, unlike Advent Children.

'hey guys I hear you're talking about a game well I haven't actually beaten the whole thing so I don't really know about the main character's gradual personality shift but I don't like how he is in the first hour or so so I guess that's how he must have stayed'

Except I kinda did beat it.

REREAD WHAT I SAY jesus

I even said this after golgagh said stuff about him:

Yea, that is very true.

looking at it that way, I guess I can appreciate how he is and respect him more.

u bad man u bad

For FFVIII there's tons of sequel room but very little prequel room (as Cid and Edea created SeeD not-too-long before the game started).

There could be some interesting backstory explaining a few things, such as the lunar cry or the relationship between GF junction and memory loss (and why such a sacrifice became necessary... likely to have been a war, so what's the story there?), but you'd probably have to backdate that quite a bit. So I agree a prequel would be tough if you plan to include the same cast. However, what would you do with a sequel? Squall and Rinoa will make babies so they can have a dysfunctional family, Laguna will remain one card short of a full deck but this time his shenanigans will be presidential, and Quistis, Selphie, Zell, and Irvine will continue to be caricatures of their developer-ascribed stereotypes (though Quistis will remain hot so that part's ok). Not a lot going on there...

Or is the simple answer that Ultimecia or Adel were somehow not fully defeated and go for round two? Was this possibility left open?

No, I take all that back. What would make a cool sequel is if the evilness in some sorceresses is actually a dormant gene in all of them and something sets it off in Rinoa and she goes ape-shit over everyone.

Rinoa: *flips the hell out*

Squall: 'come back Rinoa! I love you!'

Rinoa: *lightning to Squall's crotch*

Squall: 'baby you hurt so good'

I've been trying to figure out forever where the heck all of this info is.

care to point me in the right direction?

It's on the "The making of Advent Children" on the bonus dvd/
However, what would you do with a sequel? Squall and Rinoa will make babies so they can have a dysfunctional family,

No, I take all that back. What would make a cool sequel is if the evilness in some sorceresses is actually a dormant gene in all of them and something sets it off in Rinoa and she goes ape-shit over everyone.

Rinoa: *flips the hell out*

Squall: 'come back Rinoa! I love you!'

Rinoa: *lightning to Squall's crotch*

Squall: 'baby you hurt so good'

And we can see Rinoa turn into Ultimecia. There's actually a really interesting theroy that goes into how this is possible. Here, I'll look it up.

http://forums.ffinsider.net/showthread.php?t=11341

You raise a few points, but what I was getting at is that FFVII is just another version of FFVI minus the victorian steampunk setting and elegance.

it's like Midgar is The Imperial City mixed with a Zozo-esque underbelly, while Gestahl is President Shinra, who's obsessed with draining the life of espers, much like Shinra draining the life of the planet, etc. etc.

I could go on.

I don't think they're comparable. In FF7, Shinra is drawing energy from an inanimate object - the planet. The Espers are actually people, and they're not part of the planet at all. The world of FF6 doesn't need Espers to function. It's more a theme of racial oppression.. or something. They're not comparable.

So I agree a prequel would be tough if you plan to include the same cast.

The whole point is that I don't think you should include the same cast in a sequel/prequel to an FF-type game... at least, not as the main characters. Having an FFVIII prequel staring Laguna & Co. would be pretty sweet because in all honesty they didn't have much of an effect on FFVIII itself. Ditto for Zack being the star of an FFVII prequel. What makes FFVIII so open to a sequel is the setting itself (ie the eternal guard against the sorceresses), not the characters.

And we can see Rinoa turn into Ultimecia. There's actually a really interesting theroy that goes into how this is possible. Here, I'll look it up.

http://forums.ffinsider.net/showthread.php?t=11341

Oh YES. I don't care if they have to retcon a bit. MAKE IT HAPPEN SQU-...WHATEVER!

I'd even hold out that, with some clever writing (and perhaps some healthy concessions to commonly accepted time-space theories), the perpetual cycle of Ultimecia's rise to power/creation of SeeD could be ended. Which means there could still be a happy ending. Yay!

The whole point is that I don't think you should include the same cast in a sequel/prequel to an FF-type game... at least, not as the main characters. Having an FFVIII prequel staring Laguna & Co. would be pretty sweet because in all honesty they didn't have much of an effect on FFVIII itself. Ditto for Zack being the star of an FFVII prequel. What makes FFVIII so open to a sequel is the setting itself (ie the eternal guard against the sorceresses), not the characters.

Right. I should have said at least part of the cast; otherwise, even if it's in the same land with plot tie-ins I think it would feel more like a standalone game than part of a series. Not that that would be bad but, in my opinion, it would defeat the point of a sequel/prequel. Much to the disagreement of others (I assume), I would cite Chrono Cross as an example of this.

Writing sequels to FF games is risky business. There is so much that can go wrong in the eyes of the fans. True, that can be said about writing/making any game but Final Fantasy has such a cult following that I can see why they rarely do it.

I've been thinking about this recently, and I came to the conclusion in that yeah, a sequel CAN be bad, but does it necessarily ruin the original? I mean, I loved the hell out of the original Star Wars Trilogy, wasn't a fan of the latest, and I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy IV and VII, but I don't think the sequels should prevent you from going back, watching the originals and enjoying them.

Let them create their sequel. If it's good, hurray. If it sucks, well hopefully they won't make another but that doesn't change the fact that the first ones were good.

Trust me, after the fiasco of FF Spirit Within, the mighty SquareEnixEidosTaito would NEVER take the risk of a commercial disaster again.

FFVII was an unanimous success, and most fans were happy and wanted some more. Thus movies, sequels, prequels, spinoff, goodies...

But FFVIII divided the fans so much, that I feel it would be risky for SE to attempt a revival.

That's a shame, but I'm afraid that's also the grim commercial reality of it.

I've been thinking about this recently, and I came to the conclusion in that yeah, a sequel CAN be bad, but does it necessarily ruin the original? I mean, I loved the hell out of the original Star Wars Trilogy, wasn't a fan of the latest, and I'm a big fan of Final Fantasy IV and VII, but I don't think the sequels should prevent you from going back, watching the originals and enjoying them.

Let them create their sequel. If it's good, hurray. If it sucks, well hopefully they won't make another but that doesn't change the fact that the first ones were good.

You're accounting too much to game play. "Hey, why not make another game!"

Look at it like a novel that you thoroughly enjoyed that had a great ending. Just an epic story. If the author comes in and makes a sequel that ruins the original experience you're going to want to kick him in the ass.

But FFVIII divided the fans so much, that I feel it would be risky for SE to attempt a revival.

That's a shame, but I'm afraid that's also the grim commercial reality of it.

Reality... what? Dude, don't harsh my mellow!

Look at it like a novel that you thoroughly enjoyed that had a great ending. Just an epic story. If the author comes in and makes a sequel that ruins the original experience you're going to want to kick him in the ass.

I can honestly say that this has never happened to me. If the original is good I'll keep liking it regardless. I mean, I still like Chrono Trigger.

Running away...

I can honestly say that this has never happened to me. If the original is good I'll keep liking it regardless. I mean, I still like Chrono Trigger.

Running away...

Well, ok. To be perfectly honest I've never had it happen to me either.

My point is that if a sequel sucks it can damage the the original experience. One example that comes to mind is the last installment of 'The Matrix'. Yeah, the first matrix was still a great move but the story as a whole was devastated by Revolutions. I frowned upon the entire plot because of that last movie.

Fair 'nuf. I guess stuff like that affects different folks differently. I almost wanted the time back that I spent watching the third Matrix, but I still love the original. In fact, I've been meaning to watch that one again... and it is movie night......