windows 7 updates - completely new, non-backwards-compatible system?

prophetik music

http://thebetaguy.com/exclusives/?postid=1029344029&title=microsoft-windows-7-exclusive

sorry for the double threadpost, but this is EXTREMELY interesting. basically, windows 7 will break from every other version of windows in saying that it will be completely re-written from the ground up - while dropping all semblance of backwards compatibility with all programs. it'll then use apple's old idea of virtual machines to allow computers to run xp/vista based software rather than scaling back the code to allow older programs to still be able to recognize key interface points.

awesome! maybe this time we won't get a load of crap, like what vista is now.

What's interesting is that we're only hearing about this now, and from a development perspective, 7 isn't all that far away... if they're really going to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start from a clean slate designing what amounts to a new OS, you'd think they'd want more time... unless they've been working with this idea in mind for far longer than we know.

Hopefully 7 will ONLY run x64. If you're gonna start all over again, don't create the same schism between architectures. It'd be really nice to see 64-bit become defacto, as I believe mobo's that support far more RAM would become commonplace. Which is especially good for running large sample libraries.

i wouldn't see the point in having your standard 32-bit architecture any more. it just doesn't make any sense from a development standpoint - why purposely limit your computer's ability to access memory? it's bogus from any viewpoint. it's not like they're going to be able to cross-over drivers from previous systems any more anyways.

Hopefully 7 will ONLY run x64. If you're gonna start all over again, don't create the same schism between architectures. It'd be really nice to see 64-bit become defacto, as I believe mobo's that support far more RAM would become commonplace. Which is especially good for running large sample libraries.

I fully agree, except it might not be too long before 128 bit architectures hit the consumer market, and we'd just have the same situation again.

This is probably the most excited I've been towards a Windows OS ever...

Considering what had been posted on Wikipedia [highlight]here[/highlight]

The message I'm getting is that WinOS7 will be so modular to where not only will it be easier for older apps to work on it (just install needed files) but also alot of the bloat & shit will be stripped away. Better management of resources along with being much more customizable...?

I fully agree, except it might not be too long before 128 bit architectures hit the consumer market, and we'd just have the same situation again.

same reaction here, nekofrog.

there's one hole in that argument, pez.

32-bit: up to approx. 3.5 gigs (due to video ram, system space reservations)

64-bit: up to 127.5 gigs of ram (due to the same reasons).

128-bit: way more.

there's no way in hell consumer systems are going to overrun 128 gigs of ram any time soon. 128-bit will be for super-machines - not for the commercial market. 64-bit should have been the standard when vista came out, all told - the x86 architecture was useless with the high memory demands that vista puts on it.

I have the ability to buy a full copy of Vista Ultimate for only $15 from my school. But I've chosen not to do so, because Vista doesn't excite me. It just seems more bloated but with shiny new graphics, but the funny thing is, I was able to get my XP machine to copy the graphics of Vista, so that's not much of a selling point to me. I just don't see the value in buying it.

But, I am happy they are throwing everything out and starting fresh with the next version. They may be on the right track. They just better ship it out before I graduate and lose my student discount.

I can still understand why a 32-bit version would be developed. 64-bit is slowly but surely getting adopted as the new standard, but your average user who surfs the web and e-mails won't really need 64-bit for quite some time. I do agree with djpretzel that it would be great for sample libraries, though. Being able to load a lot of samples into RAM would be sweet. I'm also certain the marketers will eventually make the big push for consumers to go 64-bit, if they haven't already.

Um, what would be the point when you can download it for free? It's equally illegal.

no, it's not. most colleges have license offers with microsoft where they can distribute copies of windows for just the cost of the tech's time to make the CD. it's completely legal - and an advertised option through the tech department of every state school.

I can still understand why a 32-bit version would be developed. 64-bit is slowly but surely getting adopted as the new standard, but your average user who surfs the web and e-mails won't really need 64-bit for quite some time. I do agree with djpretzel that it would be great for sample libraries, though. Being able to load a lot of samples into RAM would be sweet. I'm also certain the marketers will eventually make the big push for consumers to go 64-bit, if they haven't already.

64-bit is already getting heavy use in music. The new samplers getting rolled out are all 64-bit, and old ones are being updated to it.

no, it's not. most colleges have license offers with microsoft where they can distribute copies of windows for just the cost of the tech's time to make the CD. it's completely legal - and an advertised option through the tech department of every state school.

I guess I'm lucky. All I have to do is check out Windows XP or any other Windows software for free at the library at my school.