OCR01699 - Mega Man 2 "Heat Man (Ignition Mix)"

djpretzel

I really didn't get much at all out of this one. Admittedly it did sound better the second time I listened to it, but as of now I hear a beat and some effects, looped for a while. If that's what you were going for, then it's great, but otherwise...

I dunno if it's just my headphones but I'm getting a whole ton of muddy bass sounds. I believe it was intentional since it's supposed to be like an eruption...buut it was a little overwhelming on my ears after awhile. Maybe placing the SFX at the beginning and end would have been sufficient. I like the synths right around the 30 second cuz they were kinda quirky and were quite reminixcent of Megaman music alone. A little repetitive, but mainly because I couldn't hear transitions and changes as well as I would like to. A good listen though!

I have no idea how this one got accepted to be honest with you... the whole song is mostly bass with some high highs sometimes. there is no midrange throughout the whole song???? very repetitive and slow for an electronic sub.

i guess this is a good attempt, but ive seen way better songs get rejected, IMO (im sure a lot of you remixers will agree)

ok... enought with the criticisms.

i like the solid bassline and the melody keeps the song going throughout the whole song. i just dont like how the midrange is not existant. sorry bro. you got lucky with this one but it is pretty good.

keep practicing and im sure youll be a great mixer

ima go read the judges decision thread.

Yay, this is my kind of electronic music. Ambient and atmospheric. Great bass, good melodies. Took until near the end until I heard the main melody, but I don't mind. And there is midrange, there's a pad as well as a soft beepy melody most of the time. But they're seriously overshadowed by the bass (not that I mind).

However, this is confusing. The frequency balance, the very repetitive nature, and the lack of re-interpretation of source (imo it's more of an adaptation than a rearrangement), and the ambient nature of the track really put the submission standards in a different light. This probably isn't the place to discuss it, tho.

I like it regardless.

I am a fan of this mix. It has a strong interpretation of the original if you actually listen to the source; there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. It might sound repetitive if you're not listening carefully, but there's a reason the consensus among the judges was that it was strong there. Yeah, it's ambient in the sense that it's never in your face, much like many older OCReMixes, but even considering the lack of heavy midrange freqs, the spectrum is still balanced. The only real question for most of the Js that voted was whether or not the level of energy and the 'structure' worked.

I'm really enjoying this mix. It's very easy listening with a nice mellow beat. I'm not sure what other people are talking about in regards to the bass being too high or muddy. I have just my pair of old computer speakers, nothing fancy, and the music sounds great over them. This is something I can listen to while I'm working because it doesn't demand my attention. Every remix doesn't need to be a cinematic tour de force or dance mix.

/me agrees with palpable on this one!

the first time i heard it it vanished from me and i couldn't remember hearing it at all, because i was doing something else. iow, perfect background music

the second time i payed close attention and now i could definitly hear it .. very nice atmosphere, good beat, and i can't see why there would be any frequencyproblems.. the balance is very nice!

and then again, im born and raised with electronic music, of all kinds..

great first remix, hope to hear more from you :nicework:

Doesn't have a lot of energy to it but it doesn't necessarily need it. This is an excellent remix as far as I'm concerned. It's ambient, soothing, and could easily be listened to over and over again. Definitely a great take on the source (which I can easily hear throughout the whole piece, despite what others say.)

Great stuff.

Very understated and chill, I am not really feeling the sound effects, but the rest of this grooves really well. If I was looking for awesome background music, this would totally be on my playlist. It has the introspective yet melodic quality I really like, and it's unobtrusive so I can do other stuff while I jam.

I do think it takes a little too long to develop, and once you get to the main section, it doesn't last near long enough, but for this genre, I think a 9-10 minute long track would work pretty well, so I feel this is a more truncated version of the song. If you have an extended mix, where the melody section is longer and further delved into, hook me up!

Though there are a few parts I disagree with, it's a really nice track, and I'm enjoying it. :-)

Actually, HeatMan's stage is kinda hard to remix. Not so much because there isn't already an alright groove going on, but because it's hella repetative, and hella SHORT.

There's this long intro that's just basically the same 2 measures repeated 8 times with a twist at the end to cadence, and then the main theme is just 4 measures of the exact same melody repeated 4 times. Entirely too simple.

I think the people that decide to undertake this and remix it are geniuses.

I like the elaboration made in spite of the repetition.

I think this is an alright re-mix.

• 7 months later...

Normally Mega Man tunes are very melody driven, but this mix has everything all nicely smoothed out, not that its a bad thing.

It's hard to not say something that hasn't really been said before, and I agree with what has been said, though.

Peaceful, ambient, good music to listen to while reading/studying.

This mix is almost standing at the top of a volcano that isn't erupting.

One can feel the solitary calm coolness of being on top of a mountain but can also feel the energy, power, and heat underneath it all.

• 6 months later...

Pardon the Heatman pun, but I think this is a great slowburner. It's practically a 4 minute trance build, which some people might turn and retch at, but I like the constant sense of development and the trip getting to the irrelevant destination. It's almost like the Heatman melody is obscured by musical fog and throughout the song it starts to clear and you start to hear more and more familiarity, bit by bit.

It's more ambient and held back than most trance is, and it is by no means an elaborate take on the source or the genre, but I think it is worthy of some attention and definately justified further listens for me. Nice effort.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01699 - Mega Man 2 "Heat Man (Ignition Mix)"