DNB Compilation Recommendations

zircon

Recently, I was commissioned to do a drum and bass album. I'm interested in picking up some reference material, preferably showcasing a number of DNB styles. LTJ Bukem, Photek, Omni Trio, Luke Vibert/Plug were some example artists I was given, but basically I'm looking for lots of styles (but no hardcore/noisecore.) I see "Best of Trance", "Best of House" and various other compilations all over the place, but nothing similar for DNB. Any recommendations for CDs or collections like this?

One truly excellent CD I have in my collection is "Skool of Hard Knocks", mixed by Bad Company UK. It's a few years old now (2k4) but it's 100% pure Drum and Bass and 100% pure awesome, from around 16 DnB artists. I have friends who are right into Drum and Bass, but the only groups I've really followed myself are Pendulum and Concord Dawn. Oh, and Matrix & Futurebound; their album Universal Truth is well worth checking out.

Also, you're probably well aware of the site, but Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music might have some leads worth following for you.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Just mentioned this to one of my above mentioned friends, and he suggested a 3CD compilation - Drum & Bass Essentials, Mixed by DJ Hype - that might fit what you're looking for.

Go for Andy C's Nightlife. The 4th volume is slated to come out in a couple of days, but also check his previous mixes for reference. His mixing style crams in a lot of tracks in a short period of time and they range from funky, jazzy sounds to some heavy (but not too dark) jump-up that brings up the energy.

The artists there were recommended for you are good starts already. Photek has a way with making moody music out of broken beats, and have amazing production values.

I second rAnDOm_rOguE's suggestion on Bad Company UK. They're a prolific bunch, though when they split up, their individual music never got up to the same quality as before.

Something to check out might be the Hospital Records' Weapons of Mass Creation series. There's three of em, all of which house pretty good, not too over the top drum and bass. I think it'd help for getting a feel of different things that can be done with the genre.

Also, there was a thread that I started asking for specific track suggestions; while I'm sure some of what's there will mirror here, here's the link to it. Hope it helps.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14905

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for recommendations of specific artists, but the compilation recommendations are awesome so far. Thank you.

AndyC's Nightlife is the kind of thing I'm talking about, but they tend to be a little homogenuous in style - you won't find someone like photek on there. That said, I already have several of his collections, so more things LIKE it would be cool :)

I haven't heard of Weapons of Mass Creation. When I looked at Amazon (vol 1) I saw this review, though:

"I'm a huge fan of ambient electronic, and this compilation is my new favorite."

Is this accurate? Or is the album really DNB?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for recommendations of specific artists, but the compilation recommendations are awesome so far. Thank you.

AndyC's Nightlife is the kind of thing I'm talking about, but they tend to be a little homogenuous in style - you won't find someone like photek on there. That said, I already have several of his collections, so more things LIKE it would be cool :)

I haven't heard of Weapons of Mass Creation. When I looked at Amazon (vol 1) I saw this review, though:

"I'm a huge fan of ambient electronic, and this compilation is my new favorite."

Is this accurate? Or is the album really DNB?

I am 100% positive the album is D&B. If you need reassurance check itunes store, they've got it there and they have the quick samples so you can see if its what you're looking for.

EDIT: also, if you want to look for compilation action without buying stuff, there are lots of good podcasts, Hospital Records podcast, D'n'B Arena are two good ones. Plenty of back episodes, lots of music, all free.

Dieselboy's the 6ixth session is a pretty good album, it was mixed pretty well. Its a bit more like photek's stuff, in fact i think photek is on it.

Kinda out of left field, but Oakenfold's Live in Oslo is actually pretty DNB-centric if i remember correctly; a bit more ambient DNB, but still more in the DNB vein. I can't stand oakenfold now, but that wasn't too bad of an album.

I found a disc at Goodwill called "America's Finest Drum and Bass Vol. 1." I can give you that if you want

Also, here's a free mix from Aural Carnage

http://www.sub-carnage.com/08-07-06-Fuckin%27HotSummaCarnage-MixedByBazooka.mp3

This one's a bit on the heavy side, and opens with Prokofiev for some reason :D but it mixes well I think.

Breakbeat Exercise volumes 1-5 as well. Each one is mixed by a different DJ so as a collection, the sounds and styles are so varied. I find Volumes 2 and 4 the best. 2 is very energetic and 4 gets melancholy most of the time.

They're fairly common- I was able to find several copies of Volume 4 at a Best Buy. And to top it off they were all under $9 new.

yeah... if u like Oakenfold , there is a compilation series you should check out called "Euro Club Hits" --

it's pretty clear that dance music is coming back around the world -- just check the recent big American hip-hop and R&B hits which are clear rip-offs of the european dance style.....

here's the direct iTunes link to the "Euro Club Hits" series.....

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?albumTerm=Euro+Club+Hits+Vol+