Kid Icarus

Steben

Hokay, so.

Mostly for nostalgic purposes, one of my roommates bought Kid Icarus for the Virtual Console when it came out months ago. He apparently used to own it for the NES, but never really got far into it. Nowadays, he can't even get past the first level. In fact, until very recently none of us could. We'd play it (much like Soloman's Key) as a joke, until we got bored with seeing the same Sacred Words over and over again, and moved on to whatever Wii game we were into at the time.

However, with the release of Brawl last month, I've had the pleasure of playing as and against Pit (mostly the latter). So with nothing better to do today, I finally sat down with a mind to make some progress in the game.

With a few hours of play, I'm finally at the second "dungeon" of the game. Conclusion: it is pretty tough, and annoyingly unintuitive! I say this in comparison to other NES games; however, perhaps I'm biased because unlike, say, any of the four NES Super Marios, either Zelda, Metroid, etc. etc., I haven't been playing this game on and off for a couple decades of my life.

What do you guys think of Pit's singular console appearance? Personally, I can't see why anyone was particularly enthralled with this game, enough to merit Pit's inclusion 20 years later in Brawl. Then again, it's a much better game than the first 20 seconds of Ice Climber would have me believe (thank you Masterpieces).

Pit got into Brawl largely because of fan demand after seeing his trophy in SSBM more than any quality his game had.

Ice Climbers, meanwhile, were included because they were meant to represent the early NES era of simple, straightforward games. And yes, Ice Climbers is a crummy game. Worst jumping ever.

Yeah, I downloaded Kid Icarus too when it first came out on the Virtual Console, but I never got far. Someday (after I finish Zelda II and Super Metroid) I'll go back to it. It's frustrating, certainly, but the little I've played of it seems to exemplify the straight-forward, unforgiving gameplay that characterized so many early platformers. And I have a soft spot for that type of game.

I borrowed from a friend and beat it when I was a little kid. About 20 years later, I downloaded it on VC and it took me forever just to beat the first level. I started getting the hang of it after a while, and I managed to beat it again.

Right now (not exactly right now, when I have the time) I’m playing Dragon Warrior again. It’s such a well-paced RPG. Another game that I played as a kid, forgot about, then rediscovered and found some good challenge.

This is actually one of the few games (along with probably Panzer Dragoon) that's been abandoned that I would love to see a sequel to.

The original game itself was tough as hell but I remember being a big fan of the light hearted take on mythology and the world they set it in. The whole classic mythology in games thing didn't make a reappearance till God of War many years later, but even then it was so ridiculous and over the top violent that there still would be a niche if Nintendo tries to fill it.

It'd be a gamble though, Nintendo has been much more about either making their classic epic franchises or multiplayer party games lately (which I would consider Brawl and Mariokart as well), that a project like Kid Icarus might seem really out of the norm for them. They might opt to let a 3rd party developer get a stab at it maybe, but considering how Star Fox Assault turned out, I don't know if I'd be too thrilled with that.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, but not expecting much...

I'd love to see a Kid Icarus sequel as well. I had the game as a kid and beat it several times, and the first day it was available, I picked it up on virtual console and played through it twice, once getting the decent ending, and once getting the good one. I think what made it cool back then was it was one of the first games to have both horizontal and vertical scrolling (I am pretty sure it came out the exact same time as metroid and zelda), and a pretty good, but fair, challenge. The music was also pretty awesome :3

If a sequel was made though, my personal preference would be high res 2d, drawn by Niklas Jansson.

http://itchstudios.com/psg/miscgame/kid_icarus.htm

I guess though i'd just like any high res, 2d game created by him. -_-

They might opt to let a 3rd party developer get a stab at it maybe, but considering how Star Fox Assault turned out, I don't know if I'd be too thrilled with that.

Or alternately...

They might opt to let a 3rd party developer get a stab at it maybe, and considering how the Metroid Prime series turned out, I'd be too thrilled with that.

Of course, it now occurs to me that Retro was 2nd party. Ah well.

Also, am I the only person who enjoyed Assault? It'll never replace SF64 as the premier Star Fox experience, but it's not a bad game. Also, Assault's Star Wolf theme is pretty kickass. (As heard in Brawl.)

I was rooting for Pit's inclusion in SSB since the first one. Kid Icarus wasn't the greatest of games, but like all nintendo games of that era, it had a certain charm to it. Also it was unforgiving, which is something I love about it. I still play it sometimes.

A sequel could work, if they make it in a god of war-ish scale but with a lighthearted touch. Which with all the mario sequel-itis we're getting from nintendo lately, I doubt it could happen.

One can still dream tho, I wished the same for bionic commando, and I got a next-gen sequel and also a remake in glorious 2.5d, can't ask for more.

Kid Icarus, Starfox (in the vein of 64 but grander), Punch Out, and StarTropics (see endless ocean for graphic inspiration).

STAT Nintendo. NO EXCUSES. Remember the people who put you where you are. Now get to it.

Oh yeah, we want a Wii collection of Earthbound 1, 2, and 3. STAT.