The Black Mages III - Darkness and Starlight

Animae

• 9 months later...
Whow!!!!! Im listening to the first album from the Black Mages and let me tell you that the version of Dancing Mad is pure joy! 12 minutes of pure joy!!!!!!!!

Yes. The exact opposite of what you feel listening to most of The Black Mages III. I think the only track I enjoyed was The Extreme from FFVIII, and that's only because they changed little of the source and didn't use strange instrumentation. Of course we're talking about a hard rock arranged album here, and in that regard it still doesn't deliver entirely.

First of all, there is no such thing as "too much keyboard."

Ever.

Truly. Like listen to Children of Bodom. My brother does, not really me, but their keyboardist is fucking insane. If anything there's too much the rest of the band and not him. For those in the know and ready to bombard me with useful information, I'm already aware that he has solo instrumental projects, I just haven't been able to get ahold of them yet. :P

Holy crap, old post, but anyway, just as long as we're on the subject, I was thinking to myself the other day that now that The Black Mages have gone through the bulk of the boss themes or combat-themed, upbeat tracks, it might be interesting to see what they can do with some of the more regular tracks.

There was some of this on the second album, with Matoya's Cave for example, and I always thought that turned out well, would be interesting if they decided to do a 4th album (got no indication that that was the case by checking their wikipedia page, not that that's the end all be all of information).

Even though most people seem to have hated it, I liked their take on FF6's opera... it wouldn't be The Black Mages without some ripping guitar at some point :lol:

Plenty of bands are perfect on stage. I've seen enough jazz concerts to know that the bands can usually play everything perfectly, and the question of whether it's a good night or not comes from the quality of their solos.

Real musicianship is being able to play pieces through well, giving proper attention to improvisation, tone, dynamics, and such, not recording a song in pieces and mixing separate takes together in the studio. A top-notch band may sound as good as a less skilled band when comparing their albums, but how well they play live makes all the difference.

That said, there are some factors out of the band's control, namely not having enough time for a proper sound check and not having monitors on stage balanced the way they should be for each musician. If you can't hear yourself well or you need to hear the bass well to keep in time but you don't, that can affect your playing.

THEY ARE PLAYING LIVE, MAN!!!! what do you want??? perfection?!?!?!

tell me what band is perfect on stage???

Oh, not like that. More like they're out of sync with the backing track and such. I certainly don't want perfection. One of my favourite live bands are U2 for gods sake!:razz: