Stupid deal: $3000 keyboard

For $2000.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

So what the HELL is the thought process here? "It's not EXACTLY the gear I want but I have a few thousand extra bucks I'd not mind parting with and that last $1000 drop really sold me!"? For $3000 it better damn well be exactly what I want; for $2000 it still better be what I want.

The other day the stupid deal was what, a $400 GS-310 for $125? That I can see. I don't even WANT a GS and I'd be tempted to buy that (I could give it a fret level and dress and sell it on ebay for like $300-$400). I see Valve Jr amps with Special II (ugh why not with a Les Paul 100) for like $250, MF sells 'em for $150 (that's about the cost of the amp).

Anyone want a $2000 keyboard? @_@

Yeah but if you're gonna buy one anyway how much a difference is $1000 gonna make to your purchasing decision (aside from to buy it today from one store instead of next week from Guitar Center or something), was my point. To me it looks like the same basic price range.

Maybe I'm just poor.

I can not recommend buying products through MFI.

With that said, the THOUGHT PROCESS there is that you just linked like 10 people to their site and retail, my friend, is ALL about foot traffic.

Good point. On BOTH counts. MF just doesn't listen to me when I say "Pack with string tension loosened in no less than 5 winds of large-cell bubble wrap" ... do they not understand both UPS *and* FedEx intentionally drop all packages from 8 feet up TWICE during shipping? (It's one of the loading stages, the stuff is stacked and the way you unstack trucks is you tip over the junk on the pallet...)

Here is a little snippet from someone who worked for UPS:

UPS, Fedex, USPS, etc. do not dedicate a person to put your package on their lap and hand carry the package, although this is what some people must think. The reality is they all consolidate as many packages as possible into a big truck. This means packages stacked on packages until there are packages touching the eight foot high ceiling. I've seen some trucks with a sign on the back saying 100" high or 102" high which is a little more than 8 feet.

To unload the truck a conveyor belt is slid into the truck and the packages are pulled down and allowed to drop onto he belt which takes them to the dock. There are variations on this theme but it's part of standard practice to drop the box some distance that varies from a couple of feet to seven feet. This process gets repeated at each consolidation center. Typically there are two centers between the sender and the receiver.

There we go...

I was reading up on some classic synths today (ARP 2600, Oberheim Polyphonic, Minimoog, that kind of thing) and found one, can't remember which, that was going for $8,000 back in the early 70's. When you think that some artists, like Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea, and Herbie Hancock, had a number of electric pianos and synths that they used to record and tour with, none of which were perfect or one-size-fits-all solutions, spending $2,000 on a keyboard like this isn't a big deal.

Obviously, not everyone can or will do that, but serious keyboard players will consider something like that. Just because you have a limited income doesn't mean that everyone does.

For $2000.

So what the HELL is the thought process here?

You can get a hell of a synth (it's got several amazing function generators) with some really sweet-ass digital effects (KSP) with a drawbar (B3) emulator and some pretty great samples for 2000 bucks instead of the 4000 it used to cost.

"It's not EXACTLY the gear I want but I have a few thousand extra bucks I'd not mind parting with and that last $1000 drop really sold me!"? For $3000 it better damn well be exactly what I want; for $2000 it still better be what I want.

You're not getting it.

The largest part of the people who buy what we call "synthesizers" don't buy 'm for the fact that they have filters and envelopes. They don't buy 'm for the knobs. They don't buy 'm for the sampler. They buy those things because they have the best quality keyboard and the best quality of sounds in the lineup, and because all they really need is a good piano and organ, and a load of other usable sounds.

Since this Kurz does that kind of stuff pretty well and it used to cost a lot more, it's a good option if you were looking around anyway.

Anyone want a $2000 keyboard? @_@

Fuck that, anyone want a $8500 keyboard? But that's where synthesizers kind of top - guitars go straight on to the 20K and beyond territory.

Yeah but if you're gonna buy one anyway how much a difference is $1000 gonna make to your purchasing decision

Here you're being stupid.

Maybe I'm just poor.

And here you're being correct.

Truthfully, if I was going to buy something for 2,000 bucks I'd want something that didn't look like it was made in the '80s... That wouldn't be a deal for me even if it was 500 bucks. I admit it sounds nice and is made well, but seriously, if people are gonna spend that kinda moolah, it makes me feel better if the packaging actually looks like there was thought put into it.

...On topic, I'd say if they put a Korg Oasys on there for 2000 bucks I'd buy it in an instant. MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

DX7 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hy Bound is an idiot, and bluefox once again proves he is completely useless. But, in many cases, the price of a synth is directly linked to its quality. Ofcourse, there are a few "Les Pauls" of the synthesizer world (meaning they cost about 300% more than they're actually worth), but for the most part, you get what you pay for.