White Penguin - Rose of may (Loss of me) remix

Hello folks

this is my first post here, but have been visiting this page for ages now..

a little about myself. I'm a progressive trance producer with record deals under the guises Sinfour and Issues. I have always been fan of orchestral, game music and movie scores since i was very young. I have done some orchestral things by my own, and have never posted anything yet, except orchestra remixes of classic trance tracks.

but enough of that, i'm working on a remix atm, as the titke of this thread says. I've used a score from Final Fantasy IX, Rose of May (Loss of me). I have called my little remix "White Penguin - Hidden Love Moments", and i hope you guys like what i've done so far. Criticism, tips and "booo's" are very welcome, since i'm stepping into a new area :<

here is ze link http://www.sendspace.com/file/or4yn0

enjoy! (hopefully) :P

//White Penguin

Drums feel really out of place in the build-up. Around 1:00, they start feeling more at home, the sliced drums don't mesh so well with the rest of the soundscape imo. It's interesting, sure, but not as enjoyable as it could be.

Around 2:00, I've gotten tired of the sliced drums. I suggest letting them run free sometime between 1:00 and 2:00, as well as when they return closer to 3:00. The track feels a bit inconsistant. It's not really a beat, either, doesn't rpovide that much rhythm, it's just... drums.

Enough about how the drums bother me. The rest of the track is beautiful, albeit repetitive. As long as it is, you could cut out a minute or two of repetition, and you wouldn't really lose much. You could add little details to it, subtle things, but I'd still advise you to drop some length.

4:20, just harp and whatever, it's pretty. Based on that, this has a good chance of getting on ocr, it just needs to be less repetitive. I can hear the trance-influence in the arrangement. Try to break free from the repetitive nature of it.

I'm too lazy to comment on source usage, but I have a feeling it's relatively verbatim. You should know how close to source it is. If it's too close, change it. This really deserves a place on ocr. Great job, and good luck refining it.

Thank you for comments

I know over 4 min is long, but have made 7-8 min trance tunes for 8 years now, so a bit of struggling getting the track within the 3:30 mark :-P

I will probably change the whole track, and get less repedetive as you said. Maybe i add more melodies of the "Rose of may" theme, so it get more smooth and not boring. The drums is only a loop chopped up using "fruity slicer", so got to work more on that and make it more smooth and not as tight and hard. As it is atm, i have no bass, and i think i can work more on getting a bassline going (not trance bassline, but aucustic bass sample).

i think i will finish this within a week or so, hopefully :)

thanks again for comments

//White Penguin