Sonic Unleashed

Sir_NutS

What? Me not understand... I thought it was a known fact since the game first leaked.

I honestly saw the trailer and thought it was nothing more than a glorified Sonic Rush with Secret Rings bits. I still think this could be fun, but don't fucking kid me because it's nothing like "classic Sonic" gameplay, go play the true classics and see the light. I still play them because they are that good. They even had slower bits and actual plataforms! Wow.

Now, the were-whatever thing... I have not seen a single second of gameplay footage, so I reserve judgement. I even find somewhat silly to compare this to Twilight Princess. We had in-game transformations switching abilities long before, and I don't even think it's going to play even remotely similar, neither will his design look alike. People assume it's going to be shit because well... it's Sonic. I still have faith because, believe it or not, Sega can still produce good games.

Well, I'm going to wait and judge the werewolf thing until I see how it actually works before I say the game needs to go to hell.

But if Sonic Unleashed is *mostly* what we see in the video? I'm actually cautiously optimistic. I like that they instituted the Speed Boost from Rush into a 3-D game, effectively giving Sonic a way to plow through lesser foes without having to slow down to Homing Attack or something. That can really stand to do good for the series in 3-D as much as it does in 2-D. How many times have you been playing the 3-D games only to have a weak-ass robot break your stride because you run into them at breakneck speed? Really rather annoying.

Unleashed's core gameplay with regular Sonic looks okay so far. Probably not game-of-the-year material, but it looks like it's headed in the right direction. Let's just hope the "add-on" stuff doesn't screw everything over.

so okay, 2 things. One, they're gonna keep the roster to just sonic, knuckles, tails, and the guys from SA and stuff. Two, did you see the trailer? The 2D action looks awesome. Don't assume yet. Third, http://kotaku.com/photogallery/sonicunleashed/1001001125?viewSize=thumb1280x1280

Ok, do you want me to list the number of times that people, possibly you even have bought into this optimism?

Sonic Advance

"Oh hey cool new 2D Sonic games DO WANT. Chao Garden on the go, hell yes."

Sonic Advance 2

"Woah this game plays differently but it looks fun, maybe this is how Sonic should play."

Sonic Advance 3

"Hopefully the level design will be more dynamic than 2. This 2 character thing reminds me of Knuckles Chaotix."

Sonic Heroes

"Holy crap a new Sonic Game, holy crap Chaotix, holy crap Shadow's back, holy crap it looks like they are going back to the roots with the design and stuff"

Shadow the Hedgehog

"Oh, the concept is retarded but the gameplay sounds like it could be fun. Mixing sonic with guns? It could work."

Sonic Rush

"Oh cool it looks like they are finally fixing the advance games. I mean, the advance games werent THAT bad, right?... The boost thing looks fun."

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006

"Oh it'll be a nice change of franchise look it looks they are going back to SA cept more open-ended cool cool."

Sonic and the Secret Rings

"I dunno, Sonic 2006 sucked but this one looks like it could REALLY turn the franchise around because it plays different."

You could also include all of the recent offtopic spinoff games too, which have all sucked, including Sonic Riders, the sequel, MARIO AND SONIC AT TEH OLYMPIC GAMES, and somehow Nights 2 fits in here as well.

How many times do you let yourself live in denial before you learn to quit putting faith into a dead franchise?

How many times do you let yourself live in denial before you learn to quit putting faith into a dead franchise?

I will admit Sonic probably will never be as good as it once was. Sonic on 360 was awful for me. And the less I say about Sonic and the Secret Rings (is that the Wii version?), the better.

I have to admit, I'm intrigued by this new Sonic game. Maybe SEGA final got the message that he doesn't really work that well in 3D.

Ok, do you want me to list the number of times that people, possibly you even have bought into this optimism?

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

"Woah this game plays differently but it looks fun, maybe this is how Sonic should play."

Sonic Advance 3

"Hopefully the level design will be more dynamic than 2. This 2 character thing reminds me of Knuckles Chaotix."

Sonic Heroes

"Holy crap a new Sonic Game, holy crap Chaotix, holy crap Shadow's back, holy crap it looks like they are going back to the roots with the design and stuff"

Shadow the Hedgehog

"Oh, the concept is retarded but the gameplay sounds like it could be fun. Mixing sonic with guns? It could work."

Sonic Rush

"Oh cool it looks like they are finally fixing the advance games. I mean, the advance games werent THAT bad, right?... The boost thing looks fun."

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006

"Oh it'll be a nice change of franchise look it looks they are going back to SA cept more open-ended cool cool."

"I dunno, Sonic 2006 sucked but this one looks like it could REALLY turn the franchise around because it plays different."

You could also include all of the recent offtopic spinoff games too, which have all sucked, including Sonic Riders, the sequel, MARIO AND SONIC AT TEH OLYMPIC GAMES, and somehow Nights 2 fits in here as well.

I agree with all of that except the bit about Sonic Rush. The Sonic Rush games are very good and probably the only ray of hope for Sonic games these days.

Did some of you guys even watch the teaser trailer?

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/07/rumor-new-sonic-unleashed-teaser/

The game is going to be awesome. Heck, the gameplay even looks good.

Even if it isn't. I'll buy it just because of the cgi graphics.

Personally I've always enjoyed playing both 2D and 3D Sonic games.

No flaws in my book.

(Ok except for the crappy camera in SA1. It always took the joy out of the game.)

Sonic Rush?

Terrible music

Terrible level design

Terrible bosses

Terrible enemies

Aside from that it was fine. Boost system and special stages were pretty neat.

I just replayed Sonic 3 and Knuckles for the hundredth or so time. I don't think I'll ever see Sega top it.

Sonic Advance

Sonic Advance 2

Sonic Advance 3

Sonic Heroes

Shadow the Hedgehog

Sonic Rush

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006

I'm in the minority here, but I liked Sonic and the Secret Rings, the first sonic riders, Sonic Heroes, the advance games I played, both rushes, pretty much every sonic game I played. That includes Shadow the hedgehog. I dunno why, but I can still get into them. That's why I'm not personally worried about Sonic Unleashed. I'll like it even if it's crap.

Did some of you guys even watch the teaser trailer?

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/07/rumor-new-sonic-unleashed-teaser/

The game is going to be awesome. Heck, the gameplay even looks good.

Even if it isn't. I'll buy it just because of the cgi graphics.

Personally I've always enjoyed playing both 2D and 3D Sonic games.

No flaws in my book.

(Ok except for the crappy camera in SA1. It always took the joy out of the game.)

This is why Sonic Team thinks they can keep giving us shit.

I'm 98% sure I'm the only person that liked Sonic Heroes...but I thought it was a lot of fun. And both SA games were fun too, would have been perfect if they had just gotten rid of the stages played with other characters.

I grew up with Sonic and I miss him...it not so much that I buy into optimism as much as I really really hope that they'll make a great one...after all, after all the bad ones the odds arei n their favor, no? :P

Sonic Rush?

Terrible music

Terrible level design

Terrible bosses

Terrible enemies

Aside from that it was fine. Boost system and special stages were pretty neat.

I just replayed Sonic 3 and Knuckles for the hundredth or so time. I don't think I'll ever see Sega top it.

Okay first of all, JSR style music was WAY better than the constant stream of shitty crap rock they give us in the console games.

And what about the level design was terrible? Please don't tell me you're one of those WAH-WAH I FELL DOWN THE BOTTOMLESS PIT whiners. :(

It's a Sonic game. You're supposed to play the level and die a million times while perfecting a SPEED RUN. Once you memorize the level layouts and know where all the death traps are (which is what you're SUPPOSED to do), you can make it through nearly every level in Rush without stopping more than once. That's the POINT of the game. If you're expecting to hold down the RIGHT-button through the whole level with a few jumps here and there, you're playing the wrong game. :(

I liked the sonic advance games a whole dang lot. SA2 was my least favorite because for the most part the levels were HOLD RIGHT, OKAY HOLD RIGHT, JUMP, KEEP HOLDING RIGHT but it was still fun times.

And I liked Sonic Adventure 2, and it's been a while since I played Heroes but I don't remember it being particularly terrible. Apart from the fifty million mascots.

I haven't played Sonic Rush, but I have heard Right There, Ride On thanks to Brawl and I want to hear the rest of the soundtrack now.

I'm 98% sure I'm the only person that liked Sonic Heroes...but I thought it was a lot of fun. And both SA games were fun too, would have been perfect if they had just gotten rid of the stages played with other characters.

I grew up with Sonic and I miss him...it not so much that I buy into optimism as much as I really really hope that they'll make a great one...after all, after all the bad ones the odds arei n their favor, no? :P

Sonic Heroes had a lot of potential going for it, but that's just it: potential. The execution is really what killed the game. Part of the problem was shifting between teammates and how stodgy your Flight and Power characters were. Knuckles needed to be faster when you controlled him, and would it have killed Tails to run on the ground and only fly on command when he jumped? The general control scheme was shoddy too, as we all know.

And why didn't we get more stages focusing on just Team Sonic and perhaps Team Dark, rather than wasting space with two utterly pointless teams?

That said, the game's potential shines through in its earlier levels. If the game had been less "Run/grind on a stupidly narrow track over a bottomless chasm" and more forgiving like the earlier levels, the game would've been far better. I'm normally not the type to complain about bottomless pits in games, but in Sonic games the control settings are often so shoddy and buggy you can fall into them on accident.

Heroes had potential, if it had been published with someone who would've had played the games strengths better and fixed its most glaring flaws. As it is though, it ended up a jerky, stop-and-go buggy affair which was ultimately disappointing.

This is why Sonic Team thinks they can keep giving us shit.

Whatever man. You could call it that. Im not saying that everything Sonic Team produce gets 10/10 rating, but none of it is junk.

If that was the case I wouldn't even be bothered with Sonic in the first place.

Is it just me, or does Sonic need an X-Men vs Street Fighter overhaul? You can all flame my ass for making such a proposal, but there have been a couple of Sonic fighting games (Sonic The Fighters.....such an abomination to the fighting genre) and Sonic Battle, which wasn't so appalling that it recieved the E.T. treatment.

Not great games, but the idea behind it has potential, imo. I've had an idea in my head about it for a while: It starts out like the recent Sonic games. Sonic races to stop the bad guys, and we have a race-to-the-finish level. Halfway in, he meets up with one of his rivals. For sanity's sake, we'll say Knuckles. Knuckles, as everyone knows, is a bonehead. He needs convincing that there's trouble. The usual insulting comes from Sonic, Knuckles gets mad, and we slip into a 2D fight screen. Lots of interesting moves, building up your energy meter for special moves SNK style or whatever. Fight over, they're both on the move, and it moves into split-screen for an optional two-player race to the scene-of-the-disaster, since Sonic and Knuckles have two different speeds. Knuckles of course takes the alternate, rock and mountain terrain to get there, possibly before Sonic's straight-on-through path. Anyway, so on and so forth. Just an idea that'll never get heard.

No, sorry. Sonic Heroes is junk. Sonic '06 is junk. They're poorly-executed glitch-ridden nightmares.

Dude how can you say that Sonic Heroes is junk?

I mean really. Your telling me that you didn't like anything about the game. I'm not saying that its a Zelda Ocarina of Time, but the game was good.

It's not junk bro.

Than again thats my opinion.

No, sorry. Sonic Heroes is junk. Sonic '06 is junk. They're poorly-executed glitch-ridden nightmares.

I'll have to agree as well. I love the Sonic games, I think they're great. I would love to be able to say that last line without adding "with the exception of every Sonic game released in the past 4 years.". Call me a sucker, but I approached them all with an open mind, ready to see some big changes. I didn't, however, foresee them shitting all over me with the product that they actually had the balls to release. I might be going overboard a bit, but to people who appreciate the original game, it's tough to see them butcher it.