COLLAB WANTED: Lufia 2

I have a basic, sort of an "outline" of a Lufia II remix that I would need help in finishing. I started it a while back and one of my friends tried to pick it up, but he got slammed with important real-life stuff to work on and had to pull out.

I was just going to take it back and finish it myself, however I also am going to find that almost impossible to do with my schedule, so I'm looking for someone who's interested to help me finish it correctly.

Here's what needs to be done. The basic song structure is already finished, but there is very little instrumentation to complement the melody and structure. The very end of the song needs something to wrap it up with. It needs some more "life" to it if you will. Pretty much anything you could see that you could fix up and make better, I'm willing to accept.

If you're interested, I'll work with you on AIM or across email or whatever however I can. I just can't go back into the song itself right now to fix it.

Here is the song attempt in question: Its a couple ending bits from Lufia I and II.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1492120

What I'm hearing isn't a lack of life, it's more a matter of poor processing. EQ, mixing, that stuff. Everything is a little too dark, and you seem to have trouble deciding what the listener should be listening to.

My suggestion is to mute all but two instruments, then mix them so they sound good together, then unmute another instrument and mix those three, then unmute another one... Wash, rinse, and repeat. There's enough stuff going on in the background, imo, for this to have the life it needs. It just needs to be cleaned up, mixingwise.

If you have time, you don't need a collaborator for that. I don't have the time to collab with you, but this feedback should come in handy regardless of who's gonna work with you on it.

Not familiar with source and too lazy toi dig it up, but if it's a mix of ending themes from two games, you should be in the green, sourcewise. No promises, tho it doesn't sound medley-itic. Dunno how much of it is verbatim and how much is reworked, but it sounds good. Nice job, and good luck with it.

Very well, the mix is done in Fruity Loops. I often take for granted how often that program is used.

Additionally, thank you for the compliments. I really don't think just mixing and processing is going to fly with the judges on this though. The instrumentation is definitely lacking in setting up the emotions the song displays. I don't even really know where to start re-tooling it correctly, so I'd really like a collaborator.

Also, I forgot to mention the low string cut off early in the song was not intentional. Kompakt cut the strings at that point for some reason.

Hi,

I need to listen to your remix a few more times in conjunction with the ending track for Lufia II which I think you based this off of.

On first impressions, the thing that stood out for me was the lack of dynamics. Soft, loud and so forth.

I can't really comment as I do not know how you wanted this to turn out from just listening to it.

The reason why, probably, that this remix seems to lack 'life' as you put it is partly the lack of distinguishable dynamics but probably also the lack of direction. Even with pieces of music that don't tell some sort of story, there is always a sense of direction, change and resolution in and around the main theme.

I'll ask some questions which you can mull over if you are not entirely sure how you wanted this to be:

(1) One, two or more voices taking up the main theme?

(2) Question and answer, expectation and resolution.

(3) What is the theme/message?

I'll post more useful comments later once I've had a chance to really listen to it.

Cheers,

ZehpyrWind

I actually started this demo like almost a year ago before I was playing with dynamics. I didn't really have a story in mind, I just wanted to pay tribute to a few good songs that don't get any attention here and I wanted to do that in a style I wasn't used to doing before, mainly because thats what I had to work with.

But I got stuck on it and haven't been able to get to work on it. I think it has a unique sound to it, and I really like the multiple voices. I was told I needed to "interpret" my remix attempts, so here is me trying to interpret.

You might have already read this. Reading this helped me alot on my compositions.

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/personnel/Belkin/bk/

The main thing missing I think is clear progression in the music, or 'direction'. Maybe if you re-structured the music into clearly defineable sections. At the moment it seems to be too heavily centred around the opening two or three phrases which comes back again in the middle of the piece.

There are so many ideas one after another here that it makes it somewhat uncomfortable. The ideas themselves are nice but you need to mix them in better with 'familiar' patterns so that each idea is more memorable.

OK, what I just said might not make sense and will probably confuse you more than help. The above link explains things better I hope.

Sounds like the ending themes.

Whoever assists with this, please bring a few instruments forward; right now its super mush. :-)

Well, out of the spc's I downloaded, I'm seeing 4 ending themes for lufia 1 and one for lufia 2. I'm not familiar whatsoever with these songs, so for whatever reason, I still can't nail down specific parts remixed. Is this based on Lufia 2's ending?

Ok here, I'm finally starting to hear some on L2's ending. Is this all that's used?

Anyway, yeah, I think I'm going to try starting from scratch here but still base the whole thing off of what you're already done if that's ok. I'll be easier this way then trying to modify your flp.

Sorry for double post, but I put together a real quick sketch today based on the beginning of your wip:

I wanted to show a really early version to see if this is acceptable direction-wise. I went with a much more etherial approach then you had going as I just wasn't feeling the drum beat behind slow chord changes. I'll try to keep your melody lines intact for the most part, though.

Let me know if you want me to keep going.

Wow, I leave for a day.....

I believe I used bits of Lufia II's ending, Lufia II's sad theme and Pufifia and something else I can't find. Of course it sounds super mush, why do you think I'm here?

As for the demo, its a far superior improvement. However, I cannot take any credit for that since I did not do any work on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...