VGL Louisville Meetup - pics pg 22+

big giant circles

LOL no

j/k :P

No, I'd really wish I can go and meet some of you people, but I lack a car and I'm not thinking of paying for a bus trip to go there at the moment. I know some people that have a car, but you know, this is how I imagine the short conversation to carry out:

"So what are your plans this weekend?"

"Well, I'd probably want to go to out of state to Louisville, gonna meet some people I know online there."

"......."

Tell you what BGC, I can take over handling arrangements for the Louisville meet-up. Since I live in Lexington, thus being one of the closest people to Louisville going to the concert, I think I can handle it. I really want to see this trip happen.

As such, it seems to me that we'll be getting the $48 tickets for the show, but not with group seating packages. This may not be a problem since there are still tickets available. I'm thinking that if it's okay that I handle things, I can make the purchase of tickets at one time to ensure that the seats are as close together as possible.

I can set up a paypal account for this trip if necessary.

I've asked around some and I've heard that the hotels in Louisville have shuttle services available for their guests. Some can even pick-up guests at their desired locations and take them to various locations around town, which would provide for transportation to and after the concert. This could simplify the meet-up location and arrangements by having everyone meet at the hotel, parking there if needed, and then going to the concert together via the shuttle.

I can get a list of the hotels that provide shuttle service and confirm the service by phone call, if requested. I can also get a list of rooms and rates as well.

Let me know if this is O.K. with you guys.

Okay, I've set up a page for purchasing the tickets, which are for Orchestra Seating (Section AA - S). These are the $48.00 tickets, but I've also included the $5.00 ticket fee that the Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts charges per ticket, totaling to $53.00. (I tried to add that information onto the PayPal page, but for some reason it's not showing up.)

PayPal Page for purchasing tickets

I think I'd like to go ahead and set-up the purchase-by date for Monday, June 16, 2008. This will allow everyone at least one working pay-period of opportunity for me to collect money for their tickets. Please also PM me after you purchase your tickets so that I can confirm who has purchased tickets.

I'm currently working on finding hotels that offer shuttle service in the Louisville area, along with rooms and rates. I'll list my top choices once I've narrowed it down. Those of us who want to split the hotel cost can then decide where, how, and any other details. I can also set up another PayPal page for the hotel, if needed.

Everyone should go ahead and tell me if you do or do not have transportation to Louisville, KY.

I'll provide maps and parking instructions for those with transporation as the date approaches. Please let me know also where you are traveling from to help co-ordinate directions. (If requested, I can also let you know of a couple of cheap gas stations in the Bluegrass Region.)

For those that do not have transportation, tell me your pick-up location and I'll give you the name of the closest person to you. You'll have to contact that person yourself and make travel arrangements with him/her, but I'll help in any way I can.

Guys and gals, this is gonna be an awesome meet-up!

Okay, I've searched around for hotels, in-town transportation and movie theaters. I've tried to co-ordinate things to be as simple as possible, but I've left a lot of room for adjustments.

After looking into the idea of using a hotel shuttle for in-town transporation, this is what I've found. The hotels only offer direct shuttle service to the airport and Six Flags from 6am to 11pm. After 11pm, pick-up service is available to these hotels, but drop-off service is not available. This means that while we could get a shuttle to take us back to the hotel after the concert, travel to the concert and afterwards is not available from the hotels. Additionally, the majority of the hotels that offer shuttle service are located near the airport, which is 15 miles away from the downtown area, where the concert is being held.

So, here's the plan. Since shuttle service from the hotel to the concert and movie theater, restaurants, etc. is not available at the times we need it I'm thinking that it be better to look for a hotel in the immediate area of the Kentucky Theater for the Performing Arts. We could meet there, get food from the tons of restaurants in the downtown area and then walk over the concert. After the concert, those who want to return to the hotel can, those who want to go to the movie theater can take the bus, taxi, trolley, or drive to the movie theater and there's no pressure to follow the group. Things can remain informal and relaxed.

Since the closest movie theater is located on Bardstown Rd. as are the majority of other attractions, we can also go there to eat after the concert. Those who are 21 can head to the bars in the area after the movie as well.

I've narrowed my choice of hotels in the immediate area of the concert hall (less than 5 blocks away) to these four:

1) Galt House Hotel

140 North Fourth Street (1.5 blocks away)

$121.50 per night (4 person room, $30.38 per person)

Description: A very traditional, upscale hotel endorsed by Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. This is the closest hotel to the concert hall, though largest in size (1300 rooms), containing shops, restaurants, a gym, a liquor store and exibition hall. Ammenities are at a minimum (though free WiFi access is included), with charges applied for additional services.

Room Type: 2 Double Beds

Parking: On-site ($12 per night); Valet ($18 per night)

Check-in: 3pm

Check-out: 11am

2) 21c Museum Hotel

700 W. Main St. (2 blocks away)

$159 per night (4 person room, $39.75 per person)

Description: A hotel within a museum, with world-wide recognitions. Though older than any of the other hotels, it is no less clean and modern. Posh and ecclectic, this hotel is rife with ammenities, such as complementary iPods (!), free WiFi access, business center with 42 inch LCD television with cable hook-ups (perfect for multi-player gaming), silver mint julep cups, complementary daily newspaper and bathrobes, and high quality bedding and toiletries. Has the shortest check-in/check-out time.

Parking: Valet ($18 per night); Restaurant Parking ($4 Mon - Sat after 5:30pm)

Check-in: 4pm

Check-out: 11am

3) Courtyard Louisville Downtown

100 S. Second St. (3.5 blocks away)

$119.00 per night (4 person room, $29.75 per person)

Description: This bare-bones hotel offers the bare minimum in accomodations. However, its close promiximity to the concert hall and cheap on-site parking. Wired internet access is available, but WiFi is restricted to the lobby and common areas. Rooms do offer pay-per-play videogames. Guest capacity is restricted to 5 people.

Room Type: 2 Double Beds; Single King Bed + Pull-out Sofa Bed ($169.00 per night)

Parking: On-site ($6 per day)

Check-out: 12pm

4) Hyatt Regency Louisville

320 W. Jefferson St. (4 blocks away)

$110.00 per night (4 person room, $27.50 per person)

Dscription: Located four blocks away from the theater, it is the cheapest of the four hotels. Though not as large as the Galt House or Hilton hotels, the Hyatt has larger rooms, containing a work-space area and separate changing room in the bathrooms. Intended for business clientele, this hotel provides more convinient and efficient services, such as electronic self-check-in/check-out and porter/bellhop service. T-Mobile Wifi access is available at a fee.

Parking: Guest Parking ($9 per day*); Daily Parking ($11 per day*); Valet Parking ($18 per night)

Check-out: 12pm

*In-&-Out privileges are available, i.e. pay for the day, no additional fee to re-enter.

My pick is the 21c Museum Hotel, because, overall, it has the best location, accessibility, parking fee ($4 at restaurant), ammenities and guest rating among the four. However, if pricing is a major factor, the Hyatt Regency would be my second pick. Let me know what you guys think.

21c Museum Hotel in Louisville, KY is the first of its kind — a 91-room hotel dedicated to world class luxuries, Southern-style hospitality and contemporary art from living artists, exhibited throughout its galleries and public space. Among the many upscale offerings: iPods with a wide variety of music for guests' listening pleasure, award winning design and décor, poster art, 42" HDTV flat screen televisions, WiFi, 500 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets imported from Italy crowning the exquisite bedding, silver mint julep cups, gourmet coffee makers, mini-bar refrigerators, Malin + Goetz bath amenities, and nightly turn down and Concierge services. The hotel also offers a full exercise facility with a steam room, sauna and spa services. And, of course, penguins.

Of course.

There's only two days left before I purchase tickets for VGL. If you want to sit with the group, then make sure you send in your money via the Paypal page in the first post.

Also, it may be unclear how I determined the hotels costs, as Audix pointed out to me. The costs that I posted above are based on four people sharing the hotel room together, since that is the largest room that you can reserve online. If there are more than 4 people willing to share the room, then individually the cost will be less. If there are fewer than 4 people willing to share a hotel room, then I can provide information about smaller rooms, which may or may not be cheaper. However, considering the number of people who have already expressed an interest in sharing a hotel room, I'm not expecting this to happen. I also highly suggest that as many people carpool that can, which is why I offered to co-ordinate rides for people, especially considering that gas prices are expected to reach $6 per gallon by mid-July.

As such, I'm currently planning on the group using the various Louisville public transits to get around town, considering how cheap and convenient it is in the downtown area. I'll post those transportation options after I've purchased everyone's tickets on Monday.

Alright, guys! I've received payments from everyone except one person, darkman40228. Since he's only posted here once, I'm not really sure he'll still be attending. But to be fair, I'm going to leave the window open until 5pm E.S.T. today (when the banks close). After that I'm going to go ahead and buy the tickets for everyone. I'll hold on to everyone's tickets until the day of the concert/meet-up. However, if you would like me to mail your ticket to you, please let me know.

Current Attendees:

BGC

tweek

Audix + 1

Nekofrog + 1

Sinewav

dPaladin

ifirit

A total of 9 people, so far. Looks like this is going to turn out to be a great meet-up, people.

Also, I still need to know who needs/is willing to share a hotel room in Louisville and which hotel you'd prefer. Additionally, if you need transportation to Louisville, let me know as well.

Attendees: || Transportation: || Hotel: || Hotel Choice: ||

BGC ______ || Yes || Yes || No Preference ||

tweek _____ || Yes || Yes || No Preference ||

Audix + 1 __ || Yes || Yes || No Preference ||

Nekofrog + 1 || Yes (Pending) || Yes || (2) 21c Museum Hotel ||

Sinewav ___ || Yes || Yes || (2) 21c Museum Hotel ||

dPaladin ___ || Yes || No || N/A ||

ifirit _______ || Yes || Yes || (2) 21c Museum Hotel ||

I'll set the deadline for choosing a hotel for Monday, June 23, 2008, one week from now. I'll reserve the hotel under my credit card. At that time, I'll set-up a Paypal page as well for the hotel and set the payment deadline for Wednesday, July 16, 2008, two days before the meet-up, in case we need to cancel the reservation for some reason.

Right, Me, Tweek, Audix, and his friend are planning on a room. I don't really care which hotel. Yes, I'll have transportation. I'm fine with whatever hotel everyone else chooses. I do think our groups should stay at the same hotel at least.

Also, I'm going to try to get in touch with Tommy this week. At the DC show, Tommy was very open to having OCR people help with certain events, like judging various competitions, etc. Would any of you be interested in helping with such? I don't want to tell him we might be available if no one's going to be willing to commit to it if he says "ok". Input please.

Also, are we still feeling the Batman movie thing?

Willing to share a room with anyone, should they also be willing. We are quiet and do not snore. Also do not take well to snoring of others.

Any takers?

As I've mentioned in terms of transportation, but car is broken down right now but it SHOULD be up and running and available to seat 3 others (provided you're not a gimongous fatass). I'm so confident that it will be repaired that I have bought tickets.