OCR00206 - Final Fantasy VI "Terra in Black"

m68030

:D:D THIS SONG ROX!!! I found it on a site one day, and it's what brought me to love OC. If you dont like it, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?

Sure, sure, not all of us have played FFVI, but that shouldn't matter!!! It's still this site's best remix.

There I was. Slowly looking through the ReMix Reviews, minding my own business. I saw 'Terra In Black', with 2 pages of replies. I thought 'this might be good, I'll go check it out.' Boy was I wrong. This is not good. It's infinitely better. Better than good. Better than great. Better than any friggin' word in the english language.

I was going to make some wise crack about DJP's choice of words in his description, but after hearing the song, I think those words are well justified.

Awesome. Another one to add to my OCR classics list :D

I love it. As an avid guitarist, I couldn't help but get goosebumps when your guitar pierced right through. You have a beautiful sound - perfect tone, just the right amount of distortion, and beautiful intonation and phrasing. Again, I love it. Keep it up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best on the site? I don't think I'd go that far, but this song and Death on the Snowfield were probably the 2 best at the time. I would have to say that this song definitely raised the bar of what's to be expected on this site. It is probably one of the 3 best Terra themes that I have heard to date. The other 2 being the Death on the Snowfield remix and the version on Final Fantasy Pray. Speaking of which, I highly recommend getting Final Fantasy Pray if you can find it. You will probably need to resort to ordering it online since I haven't been able to find ANY music stores that sell. But as for the Terra in Black, it's definitly worth the download. There is no excuse for not at least giving it a chance. Oh, BTW, the trumpet thingy in the intro sounds too fake, but other than that, this is a great piece.

I'm finally breaking my silence after watching remixes come and go from this site over the past 2 years. "Terra in Black" is definitely one of the best remixes on the site ever- top 5, easy. The guitar drives the theme so beautifully and powerfully; superstar musician quality. I didn't notice the fakey horns until the second time through, after I heard the guitars- the real guitar and fake horn just don't mix well. Still, Ailsean can't be beat in the remix arena.

I'm finally breaking my silence after watching remixes come and go from this site over the past 2 years.

Not to criticize, but how often do remixes "go"?

Just poking a bit of fun though. And I agree, this is among my favorites. ever since I heard it long ago. I too have been silent, its only been recently that I've decided to partake in the forums.

Well who knows? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there were some remixes that were "voted off the island". If so I want them, if anyone has them, if they exist. I must complete my collection, for better or for worse. :?

P.S. Before anyone rags on me, let me put this in bold AMONG my favorites.

• 2 weeks later...

well I think that this is one of the best remixes on this site, and one of the best I have ever heard. The fact that im a fanatic of final fantasy does hinder my response a bit, but hell, whoever has heard ff6 and then lisetned to this will definitly have the exact same response as me, in the words of DJ pretzel, "this fucking kicks ass."

I'm finally breaking my silence after watching remixes come and go from this site over the past 2 years.

Not to criticize, but how often do remixes "go"?

Just poking a bit of fun though. And I agree, this is among my favorites. ever since I heard it long ago. I too have been silent, its only been recently that I've decided to partake in the forums.

Well who knows? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there were some remixes that were "voted off the island". If so I want them, if anyone has them, if they exist. I must complete my collection, for better or for worse. :?

Remixes can go either by a decision by DJ Pretzel if it sounds too much like the original song (ie Ripping the song, etc), or by a personal request from the remixers themselves.

Edit: Funny, I though my thoughts on this song were already on this threat. Oh well - very good song. Infact, my exgirlfriend said it was romantic. I agreed and disagreed. Definitely worth the download though.

I really like this mix, tho not nearly as much as a lot of people apparently.

bad first:

1 i think there's some good harmony going on, but i cant tell because all i can hear is the guitars.

2 the trumpet...i cant believe the judges thought my trumpet patch sounds unnatural but said nothing about this trumpet.

3 i dont like the distortion that is used ont he guitars. the compression IMO makes them sound unnatural, and theres nto enough reverb.

On to the good

1 guitars are great, the interplay between them is great.

2 like i said, there's great harmony going on, i just cant hear it.

3 the end of one of the solo choruses, at around 2:55 sounds VERY abbey road to me. check it out and see if you kind of hear what i'm hearing.

nice stuff, but not flawless.

All I can say is Ailsean outdid himself here with this remix. This remix is so good, that it could very well be used in the opening of a movie about Final Fantasy 6. Ailsean really knows how to kick butt with his guitar. Keep up the good work, Ailsean!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you ever make such a good remix to raise the standards just sky high? Personally i believe this song just may pwn my soul. This remix is just so awesome tears fall from my eyes when i talk about it. Please do something else wailing on an Axe. i couldnt even think of suggestions right now this song is so awesome just make something hard...WAIL ON UR FREAKIN AXE AND OWN PEOPLE

• 2 weeks later...

Not to offend anyone else, this is just my opinion, but like DjPretzel said...

"At this moment in time, on this site, I think this is the best ReMix. This fucking kicks ass. I can't speak intelligently about it, it's too damn good. It's EXACTLY what the original should have sounded like. If you don't download this, you have committed a grave sin. REAL electric guitar, driving drums. Oh to hell with it, I can't BEGIN to do it justice in words. This could be a 300meg download and it'd be worth it. Get it. "

and I hate to repeat that, but its the damn truth, thanks Ailsean!

• 4 weeks later...

This is definitly a very good remix, but I agree with some of the others here that it is a bit overrated. The intro is not very good, nor are the trumpets. It's predictable, except for the solo, which is slightly irritating. When you have this much talent and potential, do something with it! You know, change tempos, change the drumline, spice up the background, anything. Besides the intro, everything /sounds/ fine, but considering the length, it doesn't hold my attention. Again, I'm not saying the melody was anything less than excellent, I'm saying that more could have been done.

This is definitly a very good remix, but I agree with some of the others here that it is a bit overrated. The intro is not very good, nor are the trumpets. It's predictable, except for the solo, which is slightly irritating. When you have this much talent and potential, do something with it! You know, change tempos, change the drumline, spice up the background, anything. Besides the intro, everything /sounds/ fine, but considering the length, it doesn't hold my attention. Again, I'm not saying the melody was anything less than excellent, I'm saying that more could have been done.

Yah haveta figure, though... It is a remix of a song from a game which featured...what?...MIDI format music? One can't expect much variety from a tune of that sort. I think there is something to be said for, and enjoyed about, simple tracks like this remix. After all, consider the RPG music we've all come to love. Much of it is quite simplistic, and I bet most gamers can attest to the presence of an RPG soundtrack CD in their players at least occasionally. =D It's good stuff, regardless of the lack of variety. That's the nature of videogame music.

Personally, I get the feelings from the "Terra in Black" remix which I'm sure the artist intended. It causes emotion to well up in me the same way it does when I listen to the original version of Terra's theme. Truly a beautiful song whatever its form.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I registered here just so I could say "this song rocks".

I'm a bit biased of course. I used to have a tape with 45 minutes of the original, recorded amateurishly from the TV, with which I sent myself to sleep every damn night for about half a year, until the tape broke.

I couldn't say if this remix is better. I suck at judging things like that. But along with the original, and other variations, it's in a field far above any other music. It's nice with some variation, too.

Although the trumpets do sound somewhat fake and a lot of potential of the artist was most likely not evoked in this song, as others have shown, I still think that this is a great song. I think it still holds up to many of the other mixes on the site and so it retains a spot on my playlist for never becoming boring or dull.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00206 - Final Fantasy VI "Terra in Black"