OCR00206 - Final Fantasy VI "Terra in Black"

m68030

Whoa. It's a bit much to say it's better than any other music. Maybe in your opinion, perhaps.

Obviously. How else could you judge any work of art?

You didn't say "in my opinion", however. This remix is a good song, but I believe if you asked a random sampling of one hundred musicians, you would find that a very small percentage (or a zero percentage) would say this it is the best song ever.

to tell the truth, i have never liked this song, from the moment i first downloaded it. the real proof of its greatness, though, comes from the fact that no matter how much i can't stand it, i can still clearly see why so many other people love it. ailsean definitely did the original justice.

-rob

• 2 weeks later...
You didn't say "in my opinion", however. This remix is a good song, but I believe if you asked a random sampling of one hundred musicians, you would find that a very small percentage (or a zero percentage) would say this it is the best song ever.

But I did explain my extreme bias at the beginning. (This is getting a bit obsessive-complulsive, isn't it? :oops: )

But I did explain my extreme bias at the beginning. (This is getting a bit obsessive-complulsive, isn't it? :oops: )

Still, not a great excuse.

All right. I've listened to this remix a lot and I think I've finally got a solid opinion.

The guitar rocks, hands down no questions asked. Ailsean has proven over and over again he's an incredible guitar artist, and the touch of a REAL guitar perhaps makes this song as highly acclaimed as it is.

However, I think that's the problem. The real guitar sounds great, but it's backed up with a lot of very obviously synthesized sounds. This is what really turns me off in the remix, the way the great sounding guitar grates right up against the bleeps and clicks and the synth trumpet. The drums sound real 80's to me as well, which isn't my bag, though someone else might like it.

Overall, the guitar work was great and refreshing, and adds a powerful tone to the remix. However, the synth and the almost overdone quality with the strings and drums and trumpets really detracts from it and leaves the rest of the mix, outside of the guitar, feeling kind of impotent. A good remix, but not my favorite on the site.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I absolutely loved this remix. When I first heard it I wasn't so sure, but that's partly because I didn't really like Terra's Theme in FF6 that much on its own anyway. I was actually sent this remix ages ago by a friend and I decided to listen to it a couple of times, and it really did grow on me. The guitar playing is amazing, I don't think anyone can doubt that. I thought the intro was great too, as was the improvised section at about 2:40... the whole thing was just amazing. :D

You're saying you DON"T like the trumpet? I think it adds character to the intro, and while it's not exactly smoothly integrated, works well to build up into the main melody.

Anyway, this is 100% Kick ass and then some.

Just one more thing: Does this remind anyone of the Law & Order opening theme at all? I thought it did slightly, and I'm not saying anything specific here, but it brings the latest episode into my mind every time I hear it...but i'm a big law & order freak, so that might have something to do with it too...

Does not this piece evoke powerful emotions? I know it can for me, I just need to open my heart and give myself up to the music.

This is not just the best remix on the site, its an example of music at its finest, evoking emotion...

I could die a happy death if everyone in the world could hear this song as I do...

I like this one. I loved the guitars. If I were playing it I would have done a few things slightly differently, like hammer on and pull off a couple spots differently, and trilled a few notes differently, but that's just my style, the way this guy did it was beautiful either way.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first post here, and I decided to make it on one of my personal favorites. I've read a lot about the debate 'Which is better: Terra in Black or Death on the Snowfield' and I listened to both of them... but I think this is better.

Death on the Snowfield is a great track... but when I listen to it, it just doesn't seem as remixed as this one, if that makes any sense. It just seems too like the original, IMO. That and I love the guitar :)

This is a very powerful piece and ranks among my top favorites.

Ah, one of my favorite Final Fantasy remixes. I didn't like the music in 6 as much as in the later games, but this remix takes the original tune's "awesome" factor and raises it exponentially. I just love the electric guitar in this mix, especially around 2:50.

This mix is a perfect example of how to remix. Ailsean took a mediocre VG song and turned it into one of the top five mixes on the site.

The background synth and bass lines provide a wonderful atmosphere for this mix, but what REALLY takes this mix to the next level is the second guitar. Without it, this mix would still be good--the mix's first climax is when the first guitar kicks in--but using it fill in the pauses in the original theme with noodling worked so incredibly well (see: ~2:15). I hope to be able to write harmonies and complimentary melodies half as well some day.

The only thing I would change is the pinch harmonic in the main guitar at about 2:30.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00206 - Final Fantasy VI "Terra in Black"