PRC118: Pop Star's Most Brutal Shortcake! (Kirby 64)

Rexy

The People's Remix Competition 118

PRCv5-14

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Last fortnight, we saw the development of a Robowarrior related contest and the calling for a multitude of accordions. While the latter didn't quite suffice, there was still a healthy batch of contributions for the compo, and once again Sir Nuts took the prize with his own electronica take on the source tune.

Your challenge this week still has its origins on a Nintendo home console cartridge, albeit this time we're moving to the Nintendo 64 and its enhanced 3D graphics of the day. We're also returning to first party franchises too, and this time we're looking at something pink, round, cute and can turn itself into an exploding snowman if it wants to.

prc118.PNG

I chose this as a source tune for this PRC because Kirby 64 rocks, and the OST too. It's probably one of the most overlooked games for the Nintendo 64, and for the whole kirby franchise as well, and I think it deserves more attention. This song has that classic catchiness found in most kirby songs and I bet a lot of people like that. Good luck everyone, and thanks Rexy for the help, as always ;)

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - Pop Star

MIDI | MP3 | USF (library)

Who can't resist the might of one of the sweetest additions to Nintendo's library? I hope this'll be worth a lot of attention, otherwise I'll turn into a curling stone and knock you all over.

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, April 19th at 4:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part but their vote will be doubled.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifee, and we'll help you out.

Don't say it like that, Nuts. Cloud Man remains one of the hugest successes of the current PRC season so far, so I am really sure this could just be one of those "quiet weeks" again. It's only going to really bite the dust if we get repeats of earlier this season when it was namely a case of "Chickenwarlord vs the world".

The mixing stage is over. Now it's time to get down with the voting!

Here's the deal. You're going to click on the ThaSauce link and cast your vote at the bottom of the page. Arrange all three mixes from first to third and state a reasoning with them. Contestants are encouraged to vote as they automatically get 3 points added to their ballot if they do so. The winner of PRC117 (Sir Nuts) has a vote that counts twice, so make sure you impress him just as much as everyone else. You have until Tuesday, April 22nd at 4:59AM EST to cast your vote. The winner will get to choose the source tune for PRC119!

Binweasel - Scotch Star Pub

Flexstyle - Rave Star Kirby

Rexy - Just Ribbon and Me

No new votes, eh? I suppose we shall move on to the dire conclusion. Who found their way to Rock Star? Who is slowly trailing through Dedede's castle? And who's stuck just fighting a lame Waddle Dee with the useless Fire+Ice combo?

Total number of voters - 8

Total number of mixes - 3

Highest possible score - 24

Flexstyle happy danced his way to third place with 12 points.

Binweasel got caught for drink-driving and settled for second place with 17 points.

And the winner of PRC118 is Rexy with 21 points!

Great. Just great. I now have to sit in a dark corner and think up something for this Friday. And to think, I wanted to take some time off with some Mario Kart Wii action... bah. (yay sarcasm)

Whichever, I assure you that PRC119 is in safe hands. Even if I wasn't picking the source tune, I echo Sir Nuts's statement in that there were a bunch of awesome works this round. You guys contributed well, and I hope to see you contribute to future contests with your growing work.

That said, I'll meet you on Friday for PRC119. Be there!

Bud ofsisser, Oi whuzn't drivvingk der carrrr... wiv my hands!

Shucks, thought I had an extra day to vote. Not that I had much to say except Flexy's rocked and Rexy's was adorable. Adorable.

As people were inquiring about the drumming noise: just a little random something thrown on last minute to amuse (mostly myself). Wanted something live, all I had was an acoustic guitar that I couldn't learn the chords to the song on fast enough. Sounded nice to tap on. First take, thought: Bah, everyone's s'posed to be drunk in the tavern anyways, no worries! Slap it on, wot! Still, no excuses (apart from that).

Come Friday, come excitement!