LoZ-OoT-SoS

Rom Tom

Legend of Zelda-Ocarina of Time-Song of Storms

"Windmill Gone Berserk" :mrgreen:

This is a tranc-y remix of the song of storms. The bass is not a guitar... Accually, I don't know what to classify it as.:< I just found it, lurking in my vst library. So I used it.

qmtw

Comments/Critique/Suggestions/Yeah apprectiated.

-RomTom

It sounds a bit newby, cheap conversion from 3/4 to 4 on the floor. You could make it much more interesting.

The chords and the bass are also a bit newby sounding. The pad could use some filter, a tremolo or something to make it more interesting, the bass could use a rhythm that's fits better with the rhythm of the lead which is pretty boring - so start with making the lead more interesting, then make the bass fit.

The switch to rock drums towards the end... Good idea if you have good rock drums or have processed whatever you got in a good way. Whatever your case is, the execution feels... lame, in lack of a better word.

While on the topic of drums, bass drum is okay, snare feels out of place, crash was weak, and some of the time you haven't got any hihats or anything to level out the soundscape here.

Then there's the lack of interpretation. You need more interpretation besides fitting the melody into what's otherwise a pretty original track. More source incorporated into it, and more variation.

Don't get all the criticisms wrong, some filter techniques and the overall content makes it sound like you've got the skills to make this great. Good luck with it.

It sounds a bit newby

Because it IS newby!:< I truly wasnt 'trying;' (I prolly shouldve mentioned that in my first post.) I just simply wanted to make a song. But, I agree with the criticism entirely.. and it inspires me to make this song better.

Thanks!:razz: I hope I can make something good out of this song.

Alright..

-RomTom

• 3 weeks later...

Best interpretation of this game track that I've heard so far. I really like it, it's mellow and your original bits really help keep the theme from being repetitive.

One thing I've noticed, is that I've not yet seen somebody try to keep the original rhythm from the game. The original is a waltz... I wonder if you could successfully to an electronica mix in waltz time. Up for the challenge?

Maybe it's just me, but doing a waltz mix is a pretty original thing, it might get you more attention. ;-)

Whatever you do, keep up the good work.

i agree with the other posts, you should put it back in 3/4. well, actually, you could do some amazing things in a 6/8 time. you have flexability there to use a 3/4 and a 2/2 (4/4 sounding) meter. switching it up and bringing it together with some more concise sounds would do it great. that and the title doesn't fit. windmill gone berzerk makes me think of something going just totally out of control. this doesn't do that yet. it needs to do that slow speed up thing at the end, crescendo into some total cacophany of musical genius and sound great. i think you can do it. good luck!

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

PRODUCTION

[ ] Too loud

[ ] Too quiet

[ ] Low-quality samples

[ ] Unrealistic sequencing

[X] Generic/cliche sound choices

[ ] Drums have no energy

[ ] Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics)

[ ] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[ ] Timing not tight enough

[ ] Wrong notes, general sloppiness

[ ] Poorly recorded

[ ] Bad intonation

STRUCTURE

[ ] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[ ] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[ ] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

[ ] Too short

[ ] Abrupt ending

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Not at all my genre of music, both as a critic and a listener, but I'll give it a go. Great source tune to try and work with, unfortunately the length of it leaves a lot to be desired in remixing it. I feel that it just goes on too long for what it is; the main melody is revisted far too often and only actually reinterpreted once (1:33).

Piano sample is nice.

The constant dun-dundundun-dundundun-dundundun of the backing synth gets grating after a while.

Pizzacato strings (that's what I'm hearing, right? Or is it just a random synth?) sound good.

For three minutes and fourty seconds I would expect a LOT more interpretation than what was given by this.

Drums staying at main volume as everything else fades is also quite jarring; perhaps the whole entire thing should just fade out?

It's too simple. Even in old school trance/dance music there's more going on in the background than just the same beat repeat the whole time and Strings doing the same chords over and over.

As for the rythm of the melody, it's too simple as well. like at 0:33 you got a whole bunch of 8ths in a row. Maybe make that 8th punctuated, 16th and then a the bunch of 8ths. I hope I'm making any sense to you. But that way I think the melody will come to live more.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Job man, I like it alot. The style seems to fit the song you are remixing and the change of time signature is a nice touch as well. I agree that it is a little 'Newby' sounding though.

I think it is a little under developed (there could be harmonisation or a counter melody with the final run through of the main theme - I like the build up before it and im left a little dissappointed with the conclusion)

Overall though, i like the idea, it needs work, most of which has been covered by other members, but i think this could be even better.

Nice work.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[ ] Too liberal - not enough connections to the source (too much original writing)

[ ] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

[ ] Borrows heavily from non-source material (eg. a theme from a movie)

Sorry bub I know Im critiquing your critique but how could you call this conservative? The melody is the SoS melody only about half the time and the chord progression is totally different from the source.

Aside from that, Im annoyed that the SoS is 3/4 because it makes for bad techno, always having to add these corny extra notes. Putting aside my own purism, this song was pretty dern good, though theres room for improvement.