EQuing using Fruity Loops 7

Is there anyone that can give me some insight on how to EQ using Fruity Loops 7 EQUO? For that matter, are there any resources that would allow me to gain more knowledge on EQing period? I know what sounds good when I mix records, but I want to learn how to apply that knowledge when making my tracks.

Thanks,

{OP}

Frankly, I don't see any good reason to use EQUO for common tasks instead of Parametric EQ2. EQ2 is as easy to use as you can get. You click on a band and drag it around to affect the sound, plus there's a visual reference. Is there something specific you're looking to learn about? You should read my production tutorial (fifth in the series) in the Guides & Tutorials forum, for a general overview.

Ok, I've begun reading it and I feel like I'm already learning quite a bit. But, zircon, I'm coming from not knowing anything about EQing. I tried on some songs I've put together, but I wanted to refine and add to my knowledge. Since I've messed with loops 7, noticed the EQUO plugin and it gives me very drastic changes in sound, which lead me to believe it was a more powerful tool to use.

So, while we're on the subject, exactly what is the difference between EQUO and the Parametric? Also, pros and cons? Should I ignore the flashiness of this new toy? lol.

When I was using FL Studio, I only ever needed to use the 3-band parametric EQ on the FX window, and that worked fine, it was very basic but also very effective and efficient. Actually, it's one of the things I miss about FL since switching to Renoise. EQUO from what I remember is kind of a resource hog [unless they improved on it a lot?] so I never used it.

I'm like the only diehard FL user here who actually uses EQUO religiously. How strange.

Anyway, I dunno, it seems to me that Parametric 2 is more CPU intensive than EQUO due to the heavy-duty graphical interface, but that could just be my specs. EQUO definitely has plenty of practical applications, in my opinion. I guess what I usually end up doing is reserving ParaEQ 2 for things that need some extremely accurate and heavy duty equalization, whereas EQUO and ParaEQ 1 are my go-to tools for general tweaking. And yeah, EQUO is definitely capable of some cool modulation (since you can send individual bands to different Send tracks in the mixer and you can pan them individually and so on and so forth). Pretty cool stuff.

In terms of the overall subject of EQing and/or mastering, that's a really really broad topic which would be difficult to cover here without spending more time and energy than I have right now (sorry, I'm really sleep deprived). However, there are no doubt plenty of handy tutorials existing on the web that can give you the basics on equalization. I'd also suggest getting a subscription to something like Remix Magazine, because they tend to have pretty handy guides on performing various tasks from simple (such as basic analog synth programming and mastering techniques) to complex (like sidechaining and such).

I mainly use EQ2, EQUO is mainly for morphing like everyone's said. Most of the time I use the 3 band EQ on each track to get the sound tuned how I want it (as well as cut some freq. so as to reduce muddiness) but after they're sent to the master I tend to run EQ2 then a multiband compressor, I'm not sure if this is the best order to do it in, but I always did it this way so that the limiter from the compressor would be last and prevent clipping, but now that there's the Fruity limiter effect should I still be doing it in this order? Or should I compress first?

That really depends on what you're using the compressor for. Putting it at the start of an FX chain would be useful for leveling sounds that have unusual dynamics at various frequencies or for pumping up a sound before it's sent through the rest of the processors in the chain. Otherwise, you basically have your choice (depending on the sound and what exactly you're trying to achieve) between using Fruity Compressor, Multi-Band Compressor, Soft Clipper, or the new Limiter plugin. Soft Clipper is basically a dumbed down version of the Limiter plugin, but is still very useful. I use it extensively at times when compressing a sound makes it dull. The basic breakdown (to help you grasp their applications) is as such:

Fruity Compressor - Individual band all-encompassing compressor

Fruity Soft Clipper - Soft limiter with threshold control for light to heavy compression

Fruity Multi-Band Compressor - Fruity Compressor x3 with frequency range controls and a few other added features

Fruity Limiter - Fruity Compressor + Fruity Soft Clipper + noise gate

EDIT: And I left out Maximus intentionally, because you have to buy it seperately for $179 (which is a pretty damn high price that I'm having a hard time justifying...)