Wii Points and Relative Currency Values

Shael Riley

500 Wii points is worth exactly $5 US and €5 Euro. As the relative value of each currency changes, the amount of wii points each can buy is unaffected. Why is this? Is there a point at which a discrepancy in the relative values of the two currencies would create a discrepancy in each's value in Wii points? If so, at what point is this discrepancy reached?

I think Nintendo just likes to make them even numbers. Exchange rates probably won't affect the value of Wii Points, though it's possible that they may make the points more expensive in America if, say, the US Dollar totally tanks.

Just be glad you don't live in Chile. It's costs twice as much as in America or Japan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Points)

What I'm confused about is this 100 points = $1...why not just 1 point - $1?

Is it some kind of crazy propaganda technique that makes us think we are getting more than what we pay for? Then why not 1,000,000 wii points = $1?

The average person deals with three-figure numbers on a daily basis. Seven-digit numbers, not as much. Phone numbers are broken up differently so don't give me that...

I agree that 1 Wii point ought to just equal $1, but whatev.

Is it some kind of crazy propaganda technique that makes us think we are getting more than what we pay for? Then why not 1,000,000 wii points = $1?

I figure that you feel like you're getting more for your money if a dollar gets you 100 points, rather than just 1.

Because people would burn Nintendo to the ground if they had to pay $500 for a VC game at $1 per Wii point ;-):lol:

Anyway it makes sense, by US currency standards anyway...

1 Wii point = 1 penny

1 dollar = 100 pennies

100 VC points = 100 pennies/1 dollar.

Fits together pretty well. And be glad that currency exchange rates don't factor into it. If it did, US kids would be paying $2 for 100 points, or $20 for 1,000. The VC would probably die off here if that happened.

So, when paying in euro's, you actually get less Wii points, because if you were to pay the same amount in dollars, you'd get the same amount of wii points, only cheaper since the euro is worth much more then the dollar.

On a slightly related note: America's price for Rockband ($179). Europe's price (€240).