That weird drum effect...

Kruai

That would be a low pass filter with the cutoff being decreased over time.

Filter = A tool that "filters" (removes) frequencies from the sound. You can download free filters, but your sampler/drum plugin/synth probably has a filter to begin with.

Low pass = The filter only lets the low frequencies pass through. Hence, low pass. In other words, you will cut out a lot of the high frequencies.

Cutoff = The point at which the filter starts removing frequencies. So, a cutoff set to 1khz on a low pass filter means all frequencies above 1khz will be either severely reduced in volume or eliminated.

Doing it over time = "Automation". Different sequencers do this in different ways.

Also, what about the noise thing? I don't know if this requires a separate thread or not, but how do you make the weird noises behind the drums to make it sound kinda fuzzy (maybe a replacement for the hi-hat)?

Either a bitcrusher or light distortion will do this, though both options sound a bit different. You might try both at once, like me! :3

I haven't heard anyone do it here yet, but you can hear it in the light drums in Bomber Barbara

http://www.sonicstyle.org/music/DS/SonicRush/music/sonic0037.mp3

and also a little in Pendulum's stuff (on iTunes).

Mostly what I'm looking for is the smooth noise that makes the beat flow more smoothly.

Sorry, am I being specific enough or would you like something more?

Either a bitcrusher or light distortion will do this, though both options sound a bit different. You might try both at once, like me! :3

Cool, thanks! Can you show me one of your songs where you do that? Also does that mean I keep the regular rythm and set (with hi-hat and all) and then add the distortion (or bitcrusher)?

Also does that mean I keep the regular rythm and set (with hi-hat and all) and then add the distortion (or bitcrusher)?

There are no rules for this and you can't know without trying.

Music's the path of a million mistakes - but you have to take the first step. Do. Don't ask. Don't ask if it's appropriate, don't ask if it's the right way; people'll tell you after you put up a song, and then you ask for specifics. If they'll tell you, try them out - but, believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense as the Buddha says.

Some of those mistakes you're going to make are happy ones; unexpected, but you'll like the effect. Sometimes it's 2 weeks of balls against the wall and then you finally figured out how you had to do it. Sometimes it's 3 days of trying to figure it out and then going "oh, that's it?"

In the meantime, you'll learn.