Final Fantasy 8 'Devotion & Deception'

derako

UPDATE

I got word today that it will be quite some time before our piece is even judged so I'm putting a HQ download link here for you to be able to listen to it now. You can comment on it in this forum section but please also comment in the main section when it's formally released. Thank you for all your patience and enjoy Devotion & Deception!

Devotion & Deception 320KBS

Or you can stream it at 128kbs by visiting my webpage:

Oren Productions

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so I'm back in business and my computer is back to the way it was before the big crash. Before this happened I was trying very hard to get the certain sound I was looking for in the first part. It's more intimite and small compared to the last 3 or so minutes of the piece. I'm still very excited about this and I do hope that we'll be finished with it soon as it's been a long time in the making. Thanks for your patience.

-Derek-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How about now? :puppyeyes::puppyeyes::puppyeyes:

Hey Antelucan,

I have sections I could release but I'm just not happy with them yet. I don't want to give you guys a beta of the actual song. When I finish up the first half and master it, then I'll release a clip from it. I know it's taking a while but good things take time I guess. Thanks for understanding :-P

Hey Antelucan,

I have sections I could release but I'm just not happy with them yet. I don't want to give you guys a beta of the actual song. When I finish up the first half and master it, then I'll release a clip from it. I know it's taking a while but good things take time I guess. Thanks for understanding :-P

Actually, I think it's better when we hear the really bad unfinished portions first so when we finally do hear the grand finished product, we can marvel at all of the great changes made.

But what do I know. You do what you feel comfortable with.

This is a very different take on the theme but I'm liking it so far. Being that this is my favorite track from the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack it's great that you two chose to do this. Derek/Jeremy - you said that there will be two halves to this piece. What will the other half sound like? Will there be a demo of that half as well? Thanks and awesome work so far guys!!

Laura

This is a very different take on the theme but I'm liking it so far. Being that this is my favorite track from the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack it's great that you two chose to do this. Derek/Jeremy - you said that there will be two halves to this piece. What will the other half sound like? Will there be a demo of that half as well? Thanks and awesome work so far guys!!

Laura

Yes there will be two halves. The first half we wanted the instruments to be close mic'd and legato. We were going for more of a chamber orchestra type of sound. The second half will be a bigger ensemble. More "movie" like in it's style. I don't doubt that there will be a demo of the second half as well when we get it done. Thank you for your comments.

-Derek-

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to reply to this much sooner, but for some reason I kept putting it off. When I listened to it the first time, I wasn't sure if I was hearing the original or your remake. If things are still the same as what is in your sample, I think it's just too close to the original for it to pass judgement. But what do I know, I'm music illeterate(lol)

And BTW, Zircon just got his Metroid posted without any waiting at all since the get well soon project for blind was just given to him a few days ago. Just because our judging process is slower than our death penealty sentences doesn't mean that you will have to wait for a year to get yours posted, especially due to the fact that it is a well known game without many remixes present.

I wanted to reply to this much sooner, but for some reason I kept putting it off. When I listened to it the first time, I wasn't sure if I was hearing the original or your remake. If things are still the same as what is in your sample, I think it's just too close to the original for it to pass judgement. But what do I know, I'm music illeterate(lol)

And BTW, Zircon just got his Metroid posted without any waiting at all since the get well soon project for blind was just given to him a few days ago. Just because our judging process is slower than our death penealty sentences doesn't mean that you will have to wait for a year to get yours posted, especially due to the fact that it is a well known game without many remixes present.

Thanks for the comment.

The piece that we've done is VERY different than the original and I'm sure that if you want details Jeremy would be happy to tell you why it's different. The part that we released is the first 2 minutes of the first half. The second half is nothing at all like the song itself. It's completely original but stays true to the "feel" of Final Fantasy VIII. Direct post is what we're hoping for so hopefully you guys "the judges" will enjoy it. What I was worried about was exposure. Being that OCR just came out with another project one would say that it would bring traffic to the site which would be good but on the other hand if ours did get DP'd then how long would it be on the front page before being buried by the project releases? It happened to people when the FF7 project came out so thats all I'm saying.

Thanks again for the post.

-Derek-

This is it people!!! We've officially finished the piece and are putting together a submission package as we speak. We're very excited about this and we hope that you all enjoy it! This is definitely the best and most professional piece of music we've ever put together so I'm pumped. Thanks for all your patience and look for "Devotion & Deception" on a OCR frontpage near you!

Your friendly composer,

-Derek-