OCR01702 - Mega Man 2 "Nuclear Flash"

djpretzel

Hold Your Colour has been a much loved album for me for quite a while, so I definately dug this. I haven't checked out In Silico yet (I know, I'm idiotically slow at getting around to it). Anyway, it's really awesome to see the really strong Australian music scene having some sort of cultural impact somewhere. We're all just lucky the influence has fallen into the hands of a community of such capable and talented people.

As for the mix, do I really need to gush more? It bottles the raw power of Pendulum without feeling to imitative (even though, let's face it, there's a striking similarity). Partly due to the genre hopping, the mix feels more of a carousel of different moods, contexts and interpretations connected by a running melody, completely avoiding what could have been a "What if Pendulum covered Mega Man 2?" scenario. We have enough of those, and we won't have a short supply of them from future submissions.

Freaky good mix and proof that OCR is still as rich with ideas as it ever was, perhaps even moreso. Peace.

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed the first part of the song... after the surf tune, kinda reminded me of a strange B-52s bit.

I think my favorite part was actually the slowdown at around 2:10. The whistle with the strong ... violin? stabs was fun.

I did think it ran a bit long at the end, maybe by 20 seconds or so, but overall, I enjoyed it.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

zircon is probably the best electronica artist on the site. And Sixto Sounds is probably the best rock guitar artist on the site. Collabs between these two amazing artists were inevitable, but this is by far the best - it's just so many kinds of awesome. I love the variety of styles all crammed into one song, without losing the musical thread and still being a coherent listen.

Very, very good.

I created an account just to post this.

This song is rich, lively, full. The variations are so different yet you make the transitions smooth and amazing. I have to say one night playing some WoW PVP, this song came on in my OCremix playlist. I was so pumped up and demolished that game while this was on.

Favorite part was the throw back to the old television show. "He's the fighting robot, Mega Man!" at 1:59 - 2:05. I watched that show anytime it was on.

Great work, definitely going into my Truck so I can play it while working.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Outside of the VotL tracks, I believe this was the first Zircon mix I listened to. And needless to say, I was blown away!

I always get friends to listen to this as it's something that always manages to get people's head bopping! I can definitely hear the Pendulum influence in this, and was drawn to find more of their music (and yours) through this track!

Your production and arrangement levels are something to aspire to! The transitions feel natural and maintain the interest level throughout the piece. I love the pattern you have going when the drums kicks in and the flow into (what I feel are, quirky) surf riffs you have going is golden!

Sixto's guitar work is...just as was said, brutal! They never take the attention away from what's happening around them, yet they are just as awesome! Great work!!

Thinking about it now, this arrangement does feel like a cohesive whole on one level, and as though I'm gifted with 2/3 pieces all in the space of one. Anyway, too much ranting from me, this was a great introduction into your non-VotL tracks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm blown away here.

Let's see, among the many vibes I get, the surf rock piece , something that sounds like part of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers theme (around 0:50), something Batman-ish (0:17-0:30) and of course, "Super Fighting Robot, MEGA MAN!" The whole piece takes me back, forth, and everywhere in between.

Great job! Keep up the good work.

(Personally, I hope y'all eventually get to Quick Man or Gravity Man's themes. Or for a change of pace, tackle some work from Game Boy's Mega Man 5.)

-- Quintesson.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01702 - Mega Man 2 "Nuclear Flash"
  • 11 months later...