DOD - Dwelling of Duels

bjkmenu

http://dod.vgmix.com

um, I participate there alot. It has produced amazing music. Is it ok to post about this here? I guess the admin of this board will let me know soon.

I'd like to say that this competition has improved me as a musician over the last couple of years. I enjoy the relaxed 'atmosphere' of the competition. I would recommend to any amateur vgmixer: check this site out and enter something, even if it's only a short alternate entry. There is decent-sized community there that will help you with reviews or short texts.

I sometimes wish that something like this existed here at OCR. Maybe it does, and I'm overlooking it, but I have to say that I am still a bit intimidated by the judging process here. Maybe I'll submit something soon and get over it.

The point is, without DoD, I don't think I would have ever come this far musically.

If you disagree or agree with anything I've written, please post!

Ben

Hey! Cool, cool. I guess the point of this topic is to encourage the people of this community to enter and participate in DoD. I realize it can be kind of a pain in the ass to register on the shizz and read all the rules and stuff. I know that there are some great musicians here that have never entered, including Liontamer himself. (?)

I heard that Snappleman 'recruited' a few people from OCR to participate recently. Some names that come to mind are SuprMelO, JigginJonT, and Prince of Darkness. Some of my favorite OCR people are AmIEvil, Estradasphere....I think it would be cool to see them participate too. Really, this post is to get more Genesis remixes!:-PJ/K.

It's time for OCR to represent, and also, I'm getting into keyboard more and more each day...hah. see ya.

I LOVE DoD. Been a huge fan for a few years now. Most entries (even the alternate ones) put a really good effort in making the tracks sound awesome. Some months mix it up a notch with the content (like Fire vs. Ice month) and it's really cool to see under-appreciated games/series represented here.

I am intimidated by DoD, though. Entered once back in Donkey Kong month and got made fun of and dissed to death. Didn't get any detailed constructive criticism other than the fact my entry was pure crap. I don't mind all that, however, since I know it comes with the territory. I'm thinking of entering again as an alternate to be on the safe side this time.

swordbreaker, i listened to your DK month song. I have to say that it takes balls to enter a voice-only track. the lyrics were pretty interesting, though. next time get some sort of backing track at least. i think more vgmixes need vocals. i currently have been playing lots of zyko. know what i'm saying? speaking of zyko, what up?

sixto sounds: you know you need to enter. think of the gold cyber-trophy accolades. you could easily win one. wait, if remember correctly, i think you have entered before.

anyways....go forth and start learning sega genesis sountracks for SNES vs.GENESIS month! :<

yeah. i wish.

I love DoD. You can count me in the group of Snapple's recruits.

Making a song every month has really pushed me to streamline my setup so I can get good results fast. Also not spending so much time on a song means there is less I can do to ruin it. -_-

I've heard a lot of great musicians through DoD that I wouldn't have heard otherwise.

DoD is great!

YES!! Dwelling Of Duels is the number 1 way to improve as a musician in this scene.The quality of work has improved so much since it started,and the comfortable, friend atmosphere is exactly what people need to look at themselves and their music critically without getting upset or discouraged.

I love DoD, because of it I made some real, longterm friends, improved my music a great deal, and it's so insanely fun!

yes, you always enter and you are consistently great. swimming monkey, ultimate weapon, and of course red burst (fire v. ice month) are my favorites.

ultimate weapon, that shoulda won. i thought that was house the first time i heard it, for real.

speaking of house, where is he lurking? you know he's cookin up something. musically speaking, of course.

Tell that to Kareshi. :)

You have a point, though it did make me think of something. His strength didn't necessarily lie on his arrangements as they tend to play really safe, like most of the personnel on the site. What I did find out though was that he often got the nostalgia factor right with most of the voting regulars, often picking source tunes with close attachments to them.

swordbreaker, i listened to your DK month song. I have to say that it takes balls to enter a voice-only track. the lyrics were pretty interesting, though. next time get some sort of backing track at least. i think more vgmixes need vocals.

Well...I won't hide the fact that my entry was sub-par. I'm looking to improve my singing from time to time.

Thanks for the encouragement, man. As for the backing track, I'm currently not skilled at anything to do so. lol. :P

You have a point, though it did make me think of something. His strength didn't necessarily lie on his arrangements as they tend to play really safe, like most of the personnel on the site. What I did find out though was that he often got the nostalgia factor right with most of the voting regulars, often picking source tunes with close attachments to them.

Yeah, that's how DoD works, and you just have to adapt accordingly if you care about your ranking. If you don't...well, more power to you. :)

Pizza Sauce. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Marie.

ShinerCCC is a pianist who makes metal. I heard that there are cool metal guitar patches for keyboard/synth nowadays. I like the way it sounds, I just don't think it should be overdone. What's up with this Pro53 malarchy? Keyboard solos kick more ass than guitar solos most of the time.

Shnabubula once made a song with a metal guitar patch that sounded really great until my ears and ass fell out of their respective socket sausages.

ansgaros rules.