OCR00939 - Socket "Trip the Light Fantastic"

djpretzel

Oh! I love this one! Has a certain...how you say...happy-quality to it. Very nice.

When I first heard it, I was just sorta doing a little passive-listening. Then later on I came back and heard it again. "Hey, sounds cool."

Then I came back again and listened to it without the headphones with the volume most-of-the-way up. WOOO, that just shows that you cannot judge a mix by listening to it one time. It grows on you just like video games themselves do. Neato.

Final verdict... MY SCORE-- 9.0/10

• 4 weeks later...

Goddamn i love this remix. Easily in my top 5 favorites here.

I usually dont post my comments on mixes cause no one cares what i think, but i gotta make an exception here.

This remix is guaranteed to make me do 2 things everytime i hear it:

1. dance

2. smile

I love upbeat trancy/techno stuff. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

• 2 weeks later...

OOOO.....I really do not know what to say except "WOW" the memories brought back to me on this mix was insanely great! Heh..makes we want to bust out the ol'school systems an start playin with this tune on an the TV on mute. Phenominal mix I must say...as a proud lover of electronica & games I just can't get enough must have reapeated for the 50th time already hah. In my opinion, this game definately deserves a remix, and from the looks of it this has got to be the best SOCKET music I have heard yet! Thanks....and a TERRIFIC JOB Dj Pretzel!!!

• 5 months later...

Wow. This is a great remix. Why... I remember back in the good old days, I used to stop by Blockbuster every Friday after school and rent a game for my at the time only console, the almighty Genesis, and this was one of the many Sonic ripoffs that I played through between school days. Awesome Possom being another. :P *shot* I'm not sure what level this is from... Antiquity or whatever it's called. Anywho, excellent remix that brings back painfully distant memories and makes me want to play Socket one more time.

• 1 year later...

First of all, I want to congratulate djprezel for making a suitable trance that did not sound as repetitive as the genre usually includes. The sounds melded nicely together, forming a smooth rhythm, that, while providing excellent backround the the melody, did not over-power it(Which isn't a bad thing, but it just wouldn't have fit in such a song.). Around 00:56' I started hearing some notes that reminded me of the ending theme of Pee-Wee's Playhouse, the nightmarish show I so loved in my childhood. David and I are among the few who acutally played this game in its prime. While I did not own it, I had quite a fun rental session courtesy of my local Blockbuster. This is one of the few songs which actually make me want to buy a brand new computer and pump it full of all sorts of music programs. Again, kudos to you, Mr. Lloyd, for revitalizing my youth in such a happy way that reminds me of summer times at the beach. You have my thanks.

• 4 months later...

I've had this remix for some time now. I listened to it a few times after having initially aquiring the song, but I had forgotten about it until just recently. I was listening to my OCR songs while hittin' the books the other day, and by the power of random, this popped on somewhere along the way, and I just couldn't stop listening to it. It's so mellow, and I like that a lot since a lot of the trance/techno induced remixes (and trance/techno in general) I tend to hear are extremely high energy, can be repetitive, and sound unoriginal. And I like trance, just not bad trance, but this isn't bad by any means of the word. I've had it for a least a year, maybe 2, and I'm just now hooked. I've been listening to it all morning. But I'll tell you the true reason that this remix is so damn good; I had never heard the original sample before until I hunted down the game last night and played it. This is a great song sans the original, but I do like the game's soundtrack (what little of it I actually heard anyway). Thank you for the good music, djpretzel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

My favorite djpizzle mix and I never dropped a comment. This track was smooooth back in the day. Still is. Infectious groove, great sounds, polished production. I still give Dave a little crap every now and then about how he'll never make anything else that I'll like more than this and that he's jumped the shark. But driving to Baltimore with him last year for a meetup, he was nice enough to throw this ReMix on a mix CD he made for the drive down. If I'm remembering it right, I also got to hear his Summoning of Spirits mix "The Koan of Drums" right after he finished it.

In any case, this was also a track that made me go back and check out the original, as well as snag a ROM of the game. Well, to me the game sucked, and I don't recall any other tracks being as good as the one's djp arranged, but I definitely love what he's done with the source material here. Seamless fusion of the two themes, I never would have known there was more than one source if I hadn't checked the soundtrack out. Great stuff, and of the few tracks that lots of people around here have taken a chance on and liked despite not knowing the game. The number of reviews back in the day definitely illustrated that.

• 2 weeks later...

This just came up on the roulette and I couldn't recall having heard it before. It made me very happy. :) I must have somehow missed out on it the first time around, and I think it might be my new favorite song of yours, DJP. I hear a lot of shades of Erasure in it and I kept waiting for Andy Bell to come in. The pieces just gel together sublimely, and even without hearing the original, I loved it.

• 2 years later...

Ah... so dreamy......

I absolutely love this sort of sound: heavy, simple beat pattern with bright, airy instrumentation. I was accordingly whisked away by this mix and immersed in its soundscape. The exits/reentries of the beat interrupted the mood a bit, but I'm not going to complain - some of the most delightful sections were the breaks where the instruments were made to sound as if they're being played underwater. Which fits perfectly with the Antiquity stage. And the frog sounds: heh, they were a nice touch.

As has been said, there's a lot going on here even if the arrangement was relatively straightforward (notwithstanding a seamless blending-in of the first part of Emerald Forest, that is). The soundscape is full, both with layering and with a... breezy... wind sound in the background that fills in any gaps. Of course, it's not just layering, but a host of different sounds/instruments being used with varying effects on each. I can't do much more than smile and nod when folks like Disco Dan laud a track's production, but I can definitely say that end result sounds beautiful.

So, it has that light, ambient feel that you can drift off to, but it also has plenty of depth that can keep you engaged... whichever you're in the mood to do. Plus, most of all, it's feel-good. And that's good in any age.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00939 - Socket "Trip the Light Fantastic"