OCR00939 - Socket "Trip the Light Fantastic"

djpretzel

Listening to it...

Whoa, sounds like your Phantasy Star II mix a little. Probably just that one sample.

Call me crazy, but the main melody sounds partly like that one song in that one episode of Spongebob Squarepants that I've seen like 5 times the only 5 times I ever watched the stupid show where he's singing about being the loser on the beach.

This is good web surfing music, not something I say much with djp songs, since there's a lot more emphasis on the effects and the controlled reverb and not much on the melodies.

I've never heard of this game EVER! But I'm going to check it out now. Can't really say much right now for some reason.

EDIT: Upon further listening and analysis, this is probably the only mix djp has made without some solo or drastic arrangement of the original melody.

Well, title stolen from BT aside, this remix kicks ass just like all the rest.

I do think it's a bit too timbre-rich in contrast to, say, djp's Cyan remix on Squaredance, but I'm glad it didn't turn out as cheese trance. Quality is very, very high, but I'm reluctant to say that this probably won't get that many listens from me, since it's a bit too happy for my liking. However, don't let that fool you. This remix is easily one of the very best non-anthem trance remixes on the website.

A very good remix, and a great joy to listen to.

No lipservice to the owner here, I promise, I don't do ReMixes myself. I'm a big fan of having complexity, and depth to a piece, the subtle sounds you put in there just because you can. Gives it a higher quality, and you have all that. A very good adaptation of a song I've really never heard. Heh.

BT made a song with this same name on Ima Disc 1 FYI :]

Anywho, the remix aint too shabby. Tis worth the download for sure. Good piece of techno to jes kick back n hang out too. Not really any parts in it where it kicks up. It feels like a backdrop to the mind..or something like that. Am I getting too metaphysical? ^_^;;

Wow... showin' your (young) age! BT, for reference, did not pioneer the phrase "trip the light fantastic." It's been around for years and years, and you'll probably find multiple artists have used the title throughout pop music history.

Anyway, as for this mix, it's quite well done. As per usual, Monsignor Pretzel, has a knack for combining all the right sounds in all the right places. Though I wouldn't call it trance, I would call it high quality. I really dig the flanger used on the syncopated synth there. Can't say I'm a big fan of the ending, but it ends as any standard DJ mix would end, with enough beat for him to mix into something else, but no real sense of ending.

If you listened to this song through speakers, listen to it again with headphones. You miss the subtle panning and stereo nuances without a close-up approach. Check out the addition of the panned synth at :43 for a good example.

Plus the mastering is just godly. I put this in the playlist, and then put my Chronotrigger mix after it. It just didn't stack up. I need to really work on EQ'ing. While djp and I don't always agree musically, I have to give him credit for having some of the consistently highest quality mixes on the site.

Anyway, well worth the download, and probably makes good fast driving music for late at night through empty city streets lined with sky scrapers...

D

This remix kicks ass just like all the rest.

I do think it's a bit too timbre-rich in contrast to, say, djp's Cyan remix on Squaredance, but I'm glad it didn't turn out as cheese trance. Quality is very, very high, but I'm reluctant to say that this probably won't get that many listens from me, since it's a bit too happy for my liking. However, don't let that fool you. This remix is easily one of the very best non-anthem trance remixes on the website.

WOW! SOMEONE ELSE HAS PLAYED S[]CKET!

Yeah, cool spelling huh? Get it, cause of the socket? Well anyways enough about the name. The game and it's soundtrack are REALLY great and I still play it sometimes. I'm seeing a lot of uncommon Genesis remixes lately, there's this and NoppZ's Zombies ate my Neighbors remix. Both are outstanding. What's next? Zool? Bubsy? ...hey that'd be cool :D

First of all, after I settled down from the excitement of knowing more than 5 people actually bought this game, I started to listen to the remix, and seeing as how I'm really familiar with this soundtrack, I decided to review. Love the intro, it feels like I'm getting pumped for one of the racing levels, but now that the melody comes in, I see you did the weird water level :roll: Oh well, but I would have liked to have seen another song remixed, like the Futura song. Nice variation on the song, too. I like the instrument choice and the style. Not one of your best, however, but I still highly recommend this 1) cause it's from Socket and 2) it's a pretty good take on the song.

I just finished 4 areas with an emulator, meaning beaten 4 of the bosses. This plays in the first area and the 5th area. So, it's not just the water music. Maybe there's even more of the stages that I don't know about it.

Oh well, now I can name the Socket originals for the original name database that's in hiding right now.

Socket - 'Area 1'

Socket 'TripTheLightFantastic' by djpretzel

Socket - 'Area 5'

Socket 'TripTheLightFantastic' by djpretzel

Please don't comment on any of this. Carry on with the reviews.

I just finished 4 areas with an emulator, meaning beaten 4 of the bosses. This plays in the first area and the 5th area. So, it's not just the water music. Maybe there's even more of the stages that I don't know about it.

I thought it was from two different stages :D As a note of potential interest to others, and sort of ironic at that, I composed this ReMix after not hearing either original song for well over a year, and it's one of my closer adaptations. I had a feeling it was two separate songs, but wasn't sure - they do blend pretty seamlessly, if you ask me.

I have to agree with the words "kick ass" when used in a description of this mix, but somehow, it's kickass in a subtle way (notwithstanding the inherrent contradiction therein).

Case in point: I've been listening to this for about an hour straight now (immersion is how I like my music - I've been known to submerge into my headphones for the better part of a day when a new Jamiroquai album comes out) and I'm still hearing new nuances and harmonies and syncopations that blow me away in their subtlety and detail. The style is drastically different, but the listening experience itself is decidedly similar to hearing "DubNoFantasyAloneMan" - layer upon layer of delicately and deliciously constructed complexity that leaves me with just a single thought in my mind:

Wow*.

As ever, thank you DJP.

*actually "wow" is probably an understatement (and coincidentally, a palindrome) compared to how this song makes me feel when i listen to it, but that's probably as close as i can come with the cumbersome alphabetical amalgamations of written language.

...probably makes good fast driving music for late at night through empty city streets lined with sky scrapers...

So very, very true.

Very well done. While this mix doesn't have the super high energy of the original game music, it is still upbeat and very enjoyable to listen to. There are a few interruptions now and again in the beat which I felt brought the mix down a tiny bit... it just happened too often. DJP is very impressive musically, though I think he prefers to impress technically more than musically. But like always this is a great mix and gives Socket some much-deserved recognotion. I recorded the sound test onto MiniDisc years ago when I rented it and still listen to it often. Great stuff!

Edit:

Here is a link to the original Genesis version of this tune (in MP3 form) for those of you who can't find it. Be warned... this was recorded from a real Genesis and not some emulator! So the sound quality is 100% genuinely authentic.

http://joe.film-tech.net/oc/socket.mp3

Listen to DJP's tune first. Then this. Then listen to DJP's remix again. You'll raise your opinions like I did. Great mix DJP!

I really love the ping ponging synth that was mentioned earlier at :43 also that percussion sample that sounds liek someone going "shhhaa!" is great. This like someone said, doesnt really pick up, it builds back into itself well, and has tons and tons of wonderfully delicious sounds. But overall i thought this wasnt really worth keeping on my hard drive.

The main reason im not keeping this is because of 1:52, it sounds like its going to go all anthem on us (if im using the word right) but then as its picking up it trips out and brings you down from the high you almost get.

This mix pulls me in too many different directions without really exactly going anywhere. I would have liked this more if it were harder and had something that stood out a lot. I like the synth strings and i like a lot of the processing.

Ok, this mix wreaks of awesomeness, but its just not that good in my tastes. I expected something more maybe.

Also, its waaaaaaaaaaay repetitive in my opinion.

this seems liek one of those mixes you hear thats constantly building to some super fat awesome part of the song... but doesnt really go anywhere, and i dont like the ending.

Great work djp, just not my preference of musical style.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00939 - Socket "Trip the Light Fantastic"