Okami - Thank Goodness for Kokari ReMix

Robotaki

Hey everyone!

The recent pass of an Okami remix by McVaffe has inspired me to work on an Okami remix. (This game good btw? I wondering if I should buy it lol) Although it's rather rough arrangement-wise right now with only a middle section, I've been having a bit of trouble trying to fuse a western orchestra with a japanese influence. If it's a hit or a miss then please tell me. I got pretty lazy and layered a reverb effect on the Master channel because I haven't put any individual FX on instruments yet (only percussion) so it might be a bit muddied up in heavier sections. Lastly, I've tried to imitate the sound of a shamisen using a banjo. I'll get to recording something live when I get my mic back.

Enjoy!

p.s. does anyone know what that sleighbell/tambourine percussion instrument is called? it's typically used in traditional japanese tunes (thinking sorta kabuki theatre). Thanks.

LINK:

Okami - Thank Goodness for Kokari ReMix

I think you're thinking of Zils. I'm no instrument guru though, so i definitely could be wrong.

The remix is reallllllly good though so far. The bass seems a tad too harsh in the lower regions (which is saying something if i think its too harsh). It tends to rumble a tad more than usual in my shit headphones. Overall mood, mixing, sounds and arrangement are extremely high quality as far as i can tell on the crappy headphones. The percussion is awesome! The little break up in the minute section are a little distracting, but im guessing thats just a break. The one thing I have to say, on the 8th listen, I found that all of the sounds run together; I would suggest some really obvious instrument (like an erhu or shakuhachi, possibly) making a cameo to carry the main melody to really crank the mix up to 11.

On the whole though, I friggin' love this so far. This needs to be your priority, even possibly above breathing. Get it done, son!

Sweet, thnx for the comments. The percussion instrument I was looking for was not a Zils, but it was something I was looking for earlier so that's really great. With regards to the middle section, I'm not too sure how to more smoothly bridge the two sections. It was a little forced and it definitely shows in the arrangement. I'll try a few things out after I study for my goddamn math test. -_-" I wish I could just turn seventeen and graduate already lol. Anyways, cheers!

amarriedmegaphone: I believe the source tune may be named something differently? The actual title of it is "Thank Goodness for Kokari." Regardless, I'm glad you took it as a separate arrangement. =)

Btw, is a live guitar needed or is the sample used right now passable?

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yeah, I'm starting to notice those balancing issues. I'll tweak with the velocities tonight and fix those up. I need to find some good soundfonts for nice generic japanese instruments and percussion. I've got a few instruments going on right now but they aren't anything worth devoting a single line of melody to. All the samples used are soundfonts so yea. *sigh* Guess I keep looking on hammersound lol. Thanks for the comments guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the arrangement of this piece. There's something about some of the sounds though that sounds a bit... flat? I don't know if its the panning, mixing, or quality of the samples. I'm not good at picking those things out. Definately seems though like something that could be easily fixed, and then you'd have a really great mix on your hands.

• 2 weeks later...

hey thanks man. lol unfortunately I haven't got the time to play it right now because of june exams and whatnot, but Okami's sitting on my kitchen table ready to be played in two weeks.

I was just wondering in general, is there a way to find out which effect or sample is totally eating up your computer's CPU? I can barely do a playback of what I have in FL Studio 5 without it getting insanely choppy. It sorta sucks because mastering is really difficult when you can only hear jagged bits of your piece. Any ideas? Or do I just simply have to upgrade my computer lol?

thanks again!

PRODUCTION

[X] Too loud

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

I have my volume sliders almost all the way down and this is STILL too loud for me for some odd reason, maybe my sound is just messed up right now.

I am also hearing what was mentioned before about the low registers; my Sennheiser hd280's are even rumbling a bit too much, which has only happened when I put the bass too loud in some of my mixes before.

Other than that I'd say awesome stuff.

• 9 months later...

This is the first I've seen this thread (thanks, Sephire) and I must say this is a beautiful mix. I love the dynamics and changes (around 1:05 is great). You've really captured the essence of the Okami world, Robotaki. I thought the trumpets would be weird but... they work! And well! I love the oriental flute (shakuhachi?).

We need more Okami mixes. I hope you have the time to finish this one.

Think about it: when we'll be around 2021, and Capcom re-release a Okami XHDremix for the "Wii 3" virtual console,

you'll be happy to know that you're already on the right website to be called for the making of the official remixed soundtrack.

So I don't mean to pull your leg or anything, but can you please get it finished by then?

Does 11 years seems a fair trade to you? :mrgreen:

Joke put apart, you really captured the essence of the game... game I hope you've played by now, because if not you're missing on a masterpiece.

I never really thought someone could come so early at Masami Ueda's work on Okami... but man.

Clearly i'm so amazed at what you did with soundfonts only, that I seriously consider throwing my VST to the bin... :shock:

Only thing that pinch my ears a little, are those drums right at the start & near the end (when the begining part kind of repeat). It seem they saturate a little bit.

Oh, and at 0:58... tribute to Final Fantasy, no? Just kidding.

Great work. Awaiting the final release with anticipation.

Alright, since this thread is already lifted from the grave, I want to heap some praise on this mix with the rest of you. It's gorgeous, full-bodied, imaginative, measured, playful, and intimidatingly good. This kid has no excuse no to be working in the music industry. Sincerely hope he finished it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...