OCR00940 - Castlevania II "Simon's Symphony"

djpretzel

I don't wanna sound like a n00b flamer, but I can't say I enjoyed the mix here, although it wasn't musical sacrilege like some other people were screaming. However, like some others said, the music was a good take here, but I wasn't feelin' DJ Crono's rapping at all.

No offense, but it was just too white, and I'd be hard pressed to even say that the Icy Hot Stuntaz or Krill Be Ballaz sound that...well...white. Sorry for that type of criticism, but I really couldn't get beyond that aspect of it.

Again, the mixing before the singing was pretty damn good, but I wasn't with the direction the mix took afterward.

Kudos to DJ Crono!

I've been a crono fanboy since his first remix, and each one just sounds so unique and individual, its awesome. They retain the overall feel of the song, but kind of intensify the emotion the song conatins. This is a VERY polished remix and you can tell Crono put a ton of time in on it. I think that his work ethic really shows in the deep way that the synth and the vocals kind of mix together to create a sickeningly cool beat. All in all, DJ Crono continues to amaze and rock out, I await your next remix!

PS> feel like dropping a little bit of a hint about it? cause I can think of like 30 songs or so that would benefit from the Crono treatment, but just keep doing your thing man, YOU ROCK!

sean

Although I will always hold Kono Sekai De close to my heart, this is a great song, and so easy to listen to (even though rap is easily my least favorite genre of music). I love the style, and Crono succeeds in pleasing my ears yet again. 2 huge thumbs up to you, my friend.

If you've been reading the comments, Crono, any chances of a Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3 remix on the remixing front? Both have great beats and could be done over in rap very well. Love the lyrics, your japanese rapping is top notch to me (comparing it to the english rap, i like the japanese more.)

sometimes i feel sorry for people with such closed off minds, open it up man, let music be music.

Just because someone doesn't like something means that they are closed minded?? THAT is close-minded...

Personally, rap is not my kind of music. In fact, this remix wasn't at all my boat floater. I do agree that Cyryl could've been a little more tactful but some of you sure do go off the deep end.

And just curious, what's up with all of the self-love sigs out there?

I find the rapping in the remix is a bit like Limp Bizkits :P and I seen these Limp Bizkits haters dissing them proll cuzs they dont like dont like rap with rock.

Anyways the remix.

The Intro is too long man, I was waiting for 1 min just to the main rapping to come in! when is it going to end!?

Bass would be nice maybe...

Rapping is really more like Limp Bizkits than Eminem (Eminem really takes the piss remember) But the "one life" bit I like, it's sounds it just goes with the part.

Overall, this one is not as fat as Eres Des Points, but I rate you for getting closer to emu the pro's rapper go there.

Keep up the nice work! :nicework:

The Intro is too long man, I was waiting for 1 min just to the main rapping to come in! when is it going to end!?

This is a issue in which I'd like to discuss. When I make my songs, I follow a sort of, "guide", that I use more times than not. I have a long intro to get the listener involved with what's actually being remixed, see? Then, after he/she's dived into the game-music, I add the "DJ Crono" touch: Vocals, extras, and other stuff. Vocals always come late in most my songs. I don't always follow this guide, but I have with most of my songs on OCR so far =P. I thought I'd shed some light on this issue, since many people have been asking me about it. Thanks~

~DJ Crono "Jovette Rivera"~

I dont know, i love this song DJC, i think its awesome, especially since i sat down and translated the lyrics ;) or 95% of them anyway, i still cant really understand once sentence, but oh well =)) hehe i wouldnt change anything about this remix, i think its the bomb. It broke me back to the old days, man i love it so much hehe. Thanks for mixing for AniMiX, and hope to talk to you soon. 8O haha well anyway great job, and don't listen to the haters =p do your own thing d00d!

-LiCH

"SOMEBODY HELP!" <--Expected a "Suddup whore," there but i guess that would be a little too harsh ;)

Oh and i dont know what your policy is on lyrics, but umm it would be great if you could correct mine ;) or if you dont want them out thats cool too, i basically know whats going on there hehe. Hope to work with ya soon, i can lay down something nice for ocr or animix. =))))

http://remix.evillich.com

sometimes i feel sorry for people with such closed off minds, open it up man, let music be music.

Just because someone doesn't like something means that they are closed minded?? THAT is close-minded...

Personally, rap is not my kind of music. In fact, this remix wasn't at all my boat floater. I do agree that Cyryl could've been a little more tactful but some of you sure do go off the deep end.

And just curious, what's up with all of the self-love sigs out there?

stereo typing a song because of one element is called a closed mind. If one bad thing stops you from seeing the good, your mind is not open enough to take in all that it can.

People dont liek the rapping... so they hated the intro too? this makes no sence. If someone doesnt like the song, they state what they dont like, or they casually claim that it wasnt there cup of tea, but congradulate the person on pulling the style well, which crono did. If you dont like rap, that does not make this a bad song. Some people dont like trance, so would they be right in saying ffmusic djs music is bad? well they dont like it, it must be bad.

And yeah, i will go overboard on someone when they go overboard for no reason. The guy crossed the line, and then stayed on the other side for a few more minutes while he pissed and moaned. Theres a limit to criticism, and theres a limit to stereo typing music, what this guy did was offensive in my opinion.

Its in the past now, many more will do the same thing. But if nobody says anything, people like this will continue to bash music without just cause.

People like this need to listen to the topman mix on the site if its still here. You want to complain, check out that mix.

• 2 weeks later...

I listen to this song every day.

Crono, i now think this is your best work. I held your wild arms remix above this for a long time, but after listening to the two everyday enough, i really prefer this one.

EVERYONE DOWNLOAD THIS SONG NOW! (unless you hate rap)

Crono, do you have anything new planned? I cant help but wonder man, i crave your music almost as much as i crave shael rileys. (and most everyone knows im a shael freak)

First, let me say I haven't read all 5 pages of comments, so it's likely that what I'm about to say has already been said.

Everything up to 0:53 is nice. If fact, it's the best part... and I'd hate to say, but it's downhill from there. But I really do like the first 53 seconds. But right at 53, the trumpet kicks in, and it's too loud and doesn't seem like the best sound to be using in a beat like this.

1:15 to 1:36 is good. Hooray for no trumpet. 1:36's vocals are subtle enough so they don't interfere with the remix, so that's okay. But at 1:46 I think everything falls apart. Don't get me wrong, I like rap, I make rap, I've got nothing against rap (except mainstream crap), but the rap here just seems terribly out of place.

I briefly read that no one could understand the lyrics... if they were recorded/mixed properly, there'd be no need to post the lyrics. While the lyrics sound as if they have some potential, it's still very amateurly performed and mixed. No offence... you want sincere criticism, come to me, I'm an ass, but I tell it to you straight.

All in all, be happy you got me to comment about it, most remixes won't motivate me enough to comment. But anyway, I do like most of the instrumental, and Castlevania II is one of my favorite vintage NES games.

DJ Jake

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that this is my favorite remix of all time. Maybe one of my favorite songs of all time too. I've listened to Crono's Konos song, and again it is one of my favorite songs, but I 've always liked this song more

I love the rapping, esp the part at 2:15, very well planned out

I think the song could have bit a cleaner though, just the sound quality (maybe it's just that 128 kbps)

Great song cronos, keep up the good work. it's great how you're working on really different songs that come out great

• 2 months later...

Im pretty new to OCR and i just heard this song like 2 days ago and omg this is probably the best hip hop song ive heard in a LONG TIME!!! Its really amazing what some of the people can do on this site, really a true work of art! But this song is probably the best on the site (I havent listened to them all but i currently have all downloaded from # -E)

I havent stopped listening to this song yet! Right now I have it pumped really loud, love the base, love the rhythm, love the rapping. There is NOTHING i dont like about this song :D!!!

Its really amazing, Im gonna listen to some more of your work Crono!! You are really one amazing artist! Honestly your work is album material, you could make some serious bucks out of this stuff (if ur not doin that already)!!!

Well prob everything I have to say has already been said, so theres my scoop! CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOUR NEXT MIX!!!!

Peace out

Vlad

P.s. I cant open the lyrics via that link. It gives me ERROR FOUND ON THIS PAGE or somethin like that in the Status Bar :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been browsing through OC's songs for a while now, but after hearing this one, I just HAD to register and tell everyone how I felt about it.

First off, I hate hip-hop. There are only a very select few hip-hop songs that I can listen to all the way through. With that being said, I must say I LOVE THIS SONG. Castlevania is one of my favorite series, in my opinion, has some of the best remixes on this site.

The effects in this song blended very well with the lyrical content, and the whole thing was very smooth. It's definately an odd song to turn into a hip-hop cover, but my GOD, it came out excellent. Can't wait to hear some of your future remixes.

To avoid repeating myself, please scroll up a few lines, or simply click THIS to read my previous comments concerning this remix.

I was putting together another compilation CD of game theme remixes, and came across DJ Crono's "Simon's Symphony" once again. And I thought to myself... wouldn't that be a great song to include on the CD? ...if only that damned amateur rapping wasn't messing the song up tremendously! So I've solved that problem, and abridged the remix. In this shortened (but much improved) remix, the lyrics shall no longer disturb the quite decent instrumental. Enjoy the download below.

Castlevania II - (Simon's Symphony by DJ Crono [abridged by DJ Jake]).mp3

Is it my PC, or is the link to the original lyrics not working? This is an unbelievable remix, awesome quality, I just want to know what the heck Crono's sayin. :?:

This happens to me to. This is an awesome hip hop mix, and the link to the lyrics doesnt seem to be working. Would someone mind just posting them here, shouldnt be that hard =P

His style of music is not one of my favorites, in fact, usually I abhor the genre mixing of rap/hiphop/etc that he manages to bring about. I enjoy his mixes, but at the same time I always feel a little... weird listening to them. I'm not really sure why.

I just quoted that 'cause I'm happy that there's someone else like me out there.

DJ Chrono, I've been a fan since I heard Kono Sekai De for the first time and got addicted to your other songs. I thought that your transition into my least favorite rap language (English) would turn me off to you forever.

Fear not: for you have done the impossible and gotten me to like rap I didn't have to translate. For the sake of making this short, I can refine everything I was about to say about this mix into two words.

BRILLIANTLY EXECUTED

To avoid repeating myself, please scroll up a few lines, or simply click THIS to read my previous comments concerning this remix.

I was putting together another compilation CD of game theme remixes, and came across DJ Crono's "Simon's Symphony" once again. And I thought to myself... wouldn't that be a great song to include on the CD? ...if only that damned amateur rapping wasn't messing the song up tremendously! So I've solved that problem, and abridged the remix. In this shortened (but much improved) remix, the lyrics shall no longer disturb the quite decent instrumental. Enjoy the download below.

Castlevania II - (Simon's Symphony by DJ Crono [abridged by DJ Jake]).mp3

Ok, you knew I'd have to respond to this. Nice work on the transitions, it's as if I never sang in it at all, while still keeping the integrity of the song. Oh wait a minute, you could've just asked me for the instrumental, I have it right here. In fact, Moggie asked me for, it and has it too. I'm sorry you went through all that, I hope it wasn't too much trouble. I'm actually honored though, really.

• 1 month later...

I must say I usually don't enjoy rap. Eminem and Linkin park are shifting me a bit... but I digress.

This song really spoke to me. I'm just not sure quite what it said. I was moved by the emotion behind the lyrics, but I'm apparently not the only one having difficulty understanding them and getting DJ Pretzel's lyrics popup to work.

Anyway, overall, this mix rocked (or hip-hopped or whatever). I enjoy it thoroughly every time I hear it. It's alway on my playlist and sometimes I go out of my way to hear it.

Just wish I could understand that one line... One life... something something... all on a bet / one chance, don't you fear and not forget..." Aargh! What is that lyric?

I figure if enough of us ask for it, we'll eventually get the lyrics. ;)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00940 - Castlevania II "Simon's Symphony"