Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Urban Xperience

I enjoyed the Koin system from Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon, but the combat just seemed sluggish to me. There was no flow between moves; unlike other fighters where the transition between attacks seemed almost fluid, the latter/3D MK games to me seemed rigid, jerky and choppy.

I really hope, if this is a new game, that it'll turn out alright. Although putting the fighters from Mortal Kombat against DC characters? They'll have to tone down the super-hero's powers, because I don't see anyone beating the hell out of Batman anytime soon.

Superman, on the other hand, has that vulnerability to magic. And I've always considered all the fireball-type attacks in the game to be on the magic side compared to science - except for Kano's eyebeam. That one's valid.

At first I laughed. HARD. Just the idea of liu kang going at superman with a bicycle kick and good ol' super smashing him into oblivion had me in tears. But after the initial impression passed, I'm starting to get excited for this. I'm a fan of DC (not much of a fan of MK but I've played most of the games) and this could be good, in the "It's so bad it's good!" sense.

Mortal Kombat without blood and Fatalities is Street Fighter. That's all it comes down to. If it were MK versus Killer Instinct, now that would be a game worth being excited about...but this is laughable.

Were they honestly trying to come up with a worse concept at an MK game that would beat out MK Mythologies and Special Forces it terms of pure suck?

I'm thinking I'm going to be waiting for a lot of reviews on this. It seems much more "DC Fighters featuring Mortal Kombat", than an actual Mortal Kombat game. I understand DC's reluctance to have Wonder Woman's head torn off (how about her top then?), and maybe they'll come up with a good fighting engine. Who knows. But I can't help but feel that playing it, would be like playing the first arcade game with the fatalities turned off... it would feel incomplete.

As for the series itself, I'm pretty mixed about it. It's been a serious roller coaster ride over the years...

1- Simple, but pretty good overall.

2- Quite good, with more moves, better fighting depth, and better fatalities.

3- A let down with the cheesy looking 'mannequin' fatalities, horrifically cheap AI, and that damned 'Run' button. The 'dial-a-combo' stuff was a so-so addition too.

Ultimate 3- Not much better than 3, plus it reused the endings from 3.

Trilogy- Interesting, thanks to its massive and mixed roster, but it still clung to the same AI and whatnot of the previous two games. It also reused the endings from 3 and U3.

4- It played more like a 3D MK2, but the visuals could have really used some work (especially with the stiff animation), even for its time. The DC 'Gold' version didn't help it too much, especially when it got put next to Soul Calibur (which stomped MK4G's head into the ground in most aspects).

'Deadly Alliance'- Was a return to form. It was pretty good in the gameplay area, had a better story, it looked a lot nicer, and came off as noticeably more playable than the previous three games. The extra modes were a little iffy, but even they still played better than 3, U3 and 4.

'Deception'- Pretty much identical to the previous game in graphics and overall gameplay, but it added a few new twists to gameplay. The story was still pretty good, and the extra modes were certainly a lot better. I'd rate this one as the best 3D one thus far overall, as it felt the most complete (DA takes second).

'Armageddon'- This was a partial let down. All those characters, a great opening, and some cool ideas (undead Liu Kang? Nice...). There was so much potential overall, as they added lots of new stages, made new characters so that basically everyone was available to fight with, and made a new Konquest mode that played better than the previous ones. The work was obviously there. But the lack of graphical updates after 4 years, the 'create a fatality' stuff, the lazy endings, and the lessened extra game modes, all helped to give the game a nasty set of bruises. It's still far more enjoyable than 3-4G, but it's not all it could/should have been.

By the way Midway, I'm still waiting for a good 3D version of Scorpion's exploding flaming skeleton fatality.

LOL. I've known about this going on like 10 months or so now.

Mad rofflz

So?.... =/

Anyways the gameplay dosen't look THAT bad, but i never liked MK going 3D in the first place, it slowed the gameplay down too much IMO. But yeah, horrible, horrible corssover =P

Also, LMAO @ the Fate of the Universe line XD

So?.... =/

Anyways the gameplay dosen't look THAT bad, but i never liked MK going 3D in the first place, it slowed the gameplay down too much IMO. But yeah, horrible, horrible corssover =P

Sooo I'm fucking better than you for hearing aboutt this at the Midway team meeting. That's what.

E*peen + 5

Than you should download M.U.G.E.N. for that lulz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N.

Honestly, I wished I had the skills to create my own characters in that game than just fuckin' use other folks characters. Hell, I wish MUGEN users would create their own characters.

Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Comics, huh? DC Comics have a bad history of comic book games, so I wanna see how this will turn out . . .

Mugen users do create their own characters. I collected my own MUGEN roster a year ago. It was so friggen' epic. Then it killed my lappy! :cry:

I would seriously pay someone 50 bucks to regather all of my characters, stages, music, and themes for me...I'd do it, but I don't wish to spend dozens of more hours treading potentially viral ground like before...

On topic: This looks like Marvel Nemisis all over again...meh.

Batmans got some bad wrinkles...

On the subject, WHY? As one stated, Marvel and Capcom was done, heck, they should just do DC vs. Marvel. This just doesn't do anything for me, especially since I never really liked MK (the characters like Sub Zero and Scorpion, Smoke and others always looked kinda cool) But whatever floats gamers boats these days...

Please, do not mention Marvel Nemesis, I still hate every fiber of that game...

Why did they have to mess up a classic fighting franchise by not including fatalities? And the whole cross-over thing does not seem to suit the MK universe (well I don't think so, considering I have followed it right from the SNES days). When is a truly next-gen MK gonna rival the likes of Street Fighter 4?? Can't wait for the next SF btw... something to look forward to then.

So?.... =/

Aren't ALL MK games about the fate of the universe? =p

And I agree that the 3D MK games may be slower, but if you're saying they're slower BECAUSE they're 3D... well, that just doesn't make sense.

So, the teaser doesn't have me impressed one bit... the physical movement of the characters in free-fall mode looks very unrealistic (in a bad and unpolished way), and I'm afraid that's how it's gonna look when it's done too. But that's just graphics, right? Looking bad doesn't mean it'll play bad, right???

I mean, the teaser really shows NO indication of how it'll play - we have no idea what the players are doing to bring upon those slow-ass moves - they might as well have shown us a cut-scene. All it shows is that at this point, it doesn't look too good. Shoddy trailer production in my opinion. But how will the game itself do??? Who knows!?

The link on page something says there could be different end-of-fight-thingies that may or may not be called "Fatalities" (or something like that)

There's a much higher chance of me buying this game if Clark Kent is a playable character with a fighting style completely unlike Superman's. A clumsy "I've never been in a fight before in my life" fighting style, where he's constantly pretending to be far weaker than he actually is =D

Damn, I just admitted to characters in a game having an influence on my purchasing decisions.... CAN I SINK ANY LOWER??!?!!?

MK vs KI would have made more sense, or maybe even MK vs X-Men.

I just can't imagine Batman or Wonderwoman doing fatalities on people.

That's exactly the problem here. I can't imagine that happening either. I'm pretty sure that the trade-off of this crossover is that there will be NO FATALITIES in the game. I highly doubt that DC will let their characters be ripped apart via fatalities. If so, then I think this will piss MK fans off since the series is all about over-the-top violence.

That's exactly the problem here. I can't imagine that happening either. I'm pretty sure that the trade-off of this crossover is that there will be NO FATALITIES in the game. I highly doubt that DC will let their characters be ripped apart via fatalities. If so, then I think this will piss MK fans off since the series is all about over-the-top violence.

None of their main characters anyway. I mean there's quite a bit of gore and dismemberment in their comics, but that's reserved only for b-level and c-level characters.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mortalkombat/news.html?sid=6189513&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;previews;title;7

The game will not be M-rated according to GameSpot. There are also NO FATALITIES but fatality-like moves. All-new revamped battle system that includes something called "Freefall Kombat" as we've seen in the teaser trailer.

Now, I'm not going to say that this game will suck. But MK fans are in for a shock.