Remixing/composing

My primary goal right now is to compose music for an animation I'm doing, although I wouldn't mind doing remixing either. So I was wondering what kind of programs I could be using. If possible I'd like to know if there were any inexpensive alternatives.

I was going to try Reaper, but I didn't realize that programs like that cannot use outside sound recordings like my guitar. Which is probably fine, because I'm guessing I can work around it and maybe make something feasible for an animation...

Also as far as what equipment I have... all I have is a yamaha psre303 other than stuff like guitars and a usb mic.

You can probably tell by now that I'm extremely new to this : d

EDIT:

Honestly, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go with my gut instinct and try Reaper anyway

I was going to try Reaper, but I didn't realize that programs like that cannot use outside sound recordings like my guitar.

Who said it couldn't use outside sound recordings? So much bullshit information out there from people bsing out their asses.

Try out the program and don't listen to other people's bullshitted advice. (Did bluefox tell you this lol)

My primary goal right now is to compose music for an animation I'm doing, although I wouldn't mind doing remixing either. So I was wondering what kind of programs I could be using.

Sigh.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Nobody ever reads the guides :(

I was going to try Reaper, but I didn't realize that programs like that cannot use outside sound recordings like my guitar.

Of course it can. See those squiggly colored things?

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/feat-ss.php

Those are audio tracks.

If you record it in the program itself or with something else (even Windows sound recorder could do it) - that doesn't even matter that much. Point is that your audio interface should be of decent quality.

Honestly, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm going to go with my gut instinct and try Reaper anyway

Try everything.

I found Reaper rather tough to use, but your mileage may vary.

If you're looking for something else that's cheap, consider EnergyXT, too.

geez, some Music Phd that guy was : /

I'm sorry if this sounded really misinformed because I just went to a SamAsh just recently and this guy who worked there told me Reaper wasn't going to do me any good composing-wise.

However, I was still skeptical because I DID read the guides here before to a certain extent, so here I am to reaffirm what I've learned here. It's also the reason why I found out Reaper in the first place, but I still may have to give other programs a chance when I get more into this. (Fruityloops scared me when I was little, heh)

Thanks guys.

one last off topic thing : if I wanted make or find sound effects would I be able to scratch up something decent with any audio program? if not, where should I look?

EDIT: I hope this M-audio midisport Uno cable is going to work with my Yamaha PSR... as the same guy told me it didn't matter which brand you use...

He probably told you that because he wanted you to buy something. They really pressure you into things if they think you don't know much.

Just try reaper. It is very easy and you can customize the controls to make the piano roll easier. (The first thing you will want to do is change the insert note from the insert button to your left click)

edit:

That midi cable will work assuming it does what it said it can do: convert midi to usb.

However, I was still skeptical because I DID read the guides here before to a certain extent

If you'd have told us this, I wouldn't have to say it ;).

one last off topic thing : if I wanted make or find sound effects would I be able to scratch up something decent with any audio program?

Define "effects". The range of sounds that fall under that umbrella is as huge as the first Xbox.

if not, where should I look?

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/

EDIT: I hope this M-audio midisport Uno cable is going to work with my Yamaha PSR... as the same guy told me it didn't matter which brand you use...

Well, he was right about that.

As for his opinions about Reaper - it could be very well that he had tried it and didn't like it. Each piece of audio software is made according to a certain philosophy, and your own philosophy has to gel with that to get the most out of it.

Well, if you like Cubase and you're a student / teacher, you can get Cubase Essential 4 Educational Edition (the "barebones" version though it's still got plenty of features and it works for me) for $75. Pretty much all of the Cubases are at least half off if you can qualify for the Educational version.