OCR00942 - Tales of Phantasia "Merriment in Morlia"

djpretzel

This is my second attempt at this song; I at first started this about a year before I started again from scratch, and I'm *quite* happy I did.. the original remix, in hindsight, is actually quite awful. ;) I didn't use any midis, I figured the notes by trial and error via spc in Super Jukebox. Also, as I (think I) state in the ID3 Tag, this is completely made in Buzz; all the synths are native buzz Generators (the drums and piano are samples and soundfonts, however). I actually had most of the elements for this mix down in a weekend, if I recall correctly, and then spent about a week tweaking with it.

Despite the fact that this is my first posted remix, I had multiple mixes in the works before I finished and submitted this one, along with a truck load of (mostly unfinished) originals.

Well, it turned out pretty good in my opinion.. Slow at first, but then it progresses naturally as most techno does, then it becomes very catchy and upbeat. I dig. I'm having a hard time remembering the original version of this song though, hm. Anywho, the remixes have been slow lately, as far as video games that I've actually played. Come on people, make more remixes.. I'm bored. :)

Ahh, this is AWSOME. I never herd the original...From what I hear I should play ToP RIGHT NOW!!

Now..more on the mix, Starts of with some nice bass sound that I liked alot. When I herd it I knew this was gonna be good...but not this good! :P I just looove your transitions they are very nicelly done...specially the first one. I dont really have nothing BAD to say about this mix...I would say it was repetitive..but you have enought percution changes and breaks and stuff to keep the listener interested. Also, its very happy and upbeat, and I like the piano sound with all the rest...nice touch. The clap sound you used is VERY original and different..it doesn't get on your nerves like many I have herd.

The Appigio is Very nice also, fills it up nicely..Its the Icing on your cake..And its a REALLY YUMMY CAKE! I WANT ANOTHER PEICE! so keep up the good work. Congrats on getting on OC and GL in the futur. Looking forward for MORE MORE MORE!!!

-Gman.

I haven't been reviewing songs much, but Tales of Phantasia was imo the best rpg of all time (my personal favorite at least), and needs a lot more recognition on this site.

I remember the Moria tune quite vividly (after going around for hours trying to get to the 20th or so floor at the bottom :P) Here's my opinion:

I read Disco Dan's review on the judging forum, and I disagree with him very much. This is both close enough to the original in terms of chords and melody, I would recognize the remix without being told told where it was from. The arrangement, while encompassing many elements of the original, adds quite a distinct and original flavor to the tune.

The song starts off with an extremely catchy bassline (couldn't have picked a better bass for it). It transitions with a filtered trancey synth into some thicker chords, introducing the melody with a piano.

At 1:41 is a dead stop which is short enough and pulled off well enough (very nice transition, imo) to work extremely effectively in the song, bringing in the trance lead much stronger as a melody to compliment the piano. At around 3:00 another transition introduces a new submelody with filtered trance arpeggios, preparing another transition at about 3:20 to bring back the melody played very strongly with some very nice synths (along with the original piano). Around 4:40 is a nice transition to some latin percussion preparing for a quite a unique ending for trance.

well, I'd like to say I think this was an outstanding remix I really enjoyed for the most part. From the moment I heard the bassline I knew it was going to be great song. I was really impressed with the transitions and structure. Even though it was a bit repetitive (not necessarily bad, especially for the genre), the transitions kept it moving to new ideas smoothly and effectively. The artist did an outstanding job of making the original fit the new theme. The synths were used really well and kept the song exciting. A lot of creative drum work also.

On the other hand, I thought a better kick could have been used. Samples were pretty nice sounding for the most part. The song also sounded a bit too happy for my tastes (not neccesarily a bad thing; it fit the song title). I always thought a Moria remix would be really dark (at least, that's how I would have done it). Also, that piano lead sounded pretty out of tune (at least to me). You probably could have picked a better lead, or a better sounding piano. It didn't effect the song too negatively, but it was noticeable. Also, I think you may have mis-spelled the title. I thought it was supposed to be "Moria", but that might depend on which translation of the game you played (if you did play it).

I think that's cool you did it all with Buzzmachines too. I could never really figure out that program. Fruity Loops is so much easier for me. Overall good job. A recommended listen for fans of Trance and/or Tales of Phantasia.

8.5/10

I thought I'd reply to some points brought up by Ghetto Lee Lewis.

I remember the Moria tune quite vividly (after going around for hours trying to get to the 20th or so floor at the bottom :P)
Yeah! Ugh, I hated the place, but loved the music. :)
I always thought a Moria remix would be really dark (at least, that's how I would have done it).
I thought so too! But this is what I ended up with.. in fact I originally intended for the song to be quite minor-chord heavy and generally quite dark, but I just couldn't get the chords to sound right. After fiddling with them for a while, I just realised that if I went for a more happy sounding chord structure I could get it to sound much better.
Also, that piano lead sounded pretty out of tune (at least to me). You probably could have picked a better lead, or a better sounding piano.
Well, as the trance lead I used is your average detuned-saws affair (except that I used two Voidsynth II's, eg. 4 oscillators instead of the, I suppose, usual 2), so the lead itself is detuned, in order to get that big trance lead sound. But the piano being out of tune, well, it might be, I dunno. :P I didn't notice it myself.
Also, I think you may have mis- spelled the title. I thought it was supposed to be "Moria", but that might depend on which translation of the game you played (if you did play it).
I did indeed play it (AWESOME game).. when I Googled for "Tales of Phantasia Morlia Gallery", it brought up 7 pages of results, with "Tales of Phantasia Moria Gallery", 2 pages of results. Also, isn't "Moria" the Middle Earth locale?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hm....Good Remix, Not Too Bad...At First I Thought It Was A Techno Remix But As It Went On It Becomes Better...Ah Well Can't Really Say Much Except Its A Really Cheery Song :o Apart From That The Only Complaint I Have Is The Stage...I Hated That Stage!!!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The first 30 seconds...kinda blah.

The rest of the song however, I like it. Very upbeat and somewhat with a sci-fi feel to it.

After listening to so many mediocre remixes, I'm very grateful to hear this refreshinh creation.

You've got talent, you really do. My only question is, why is this your only remix?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm rather fond of this fun little 'mix, I didn't really have that much of of a problem with the chord progression not meshing perfectly with the melody (maybe because I can't actually remember the original chord progression anyway). Solid job.

• 4 years later...

10 years on, this one is starting to show its age. The samples are dated to a degree that it does infringe on the arrangement itself, but thankfully not too much.

This is very straightforward stuff, and it's barely worth nitpicking. It represents a genre and a time-period of amateur music production as well as any other trance mix does, and people that like that kind of thing would love this to bits.

I like a few of the ideas here, like the transitions and the slower segments, and its never truly grating on the ears, but as far as defying its own generic pedigree, its unsurprising and uninspired.

Not at all bad for what it is, though.

• 2 years later...

Didn't really get it until the arp came in and the piano brought the picture to mind. The climax is nice, but lacks a lot of real drive beyond the kick. Also, maybe it's because I'm familiar with the source, but the piano feature afterwards was boring for being too conservative; it sounded like MIDI replacement. Some variation in the second "drop" would be nice. The samples are definitely not hiding their age one bit. Promising, but basic and clearly old.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00942 - Tales of Phantasia "Merriment in Morlia"