ASIO strikes back

I use a onboard Realtek ALC 883 chipset and I also downloaded the latest drivers for it.

Which brings up the Reaper tutorial, I've gotten the ASIO4ALL to install but I can't get it to work with it or some other programs as in either it plays with no sound or it doesn't even budge at all!

It seems to me that the Waveout option for Reaper sounds fine I think so I'm guessing I could work with that. I also tried using DS (DirectSound??) on the EnergyXT and the demo song in it sounds scratchy and the ASIO would still yield playing but with no sound.

So I'm stumped : /

I'm even considering on getting an inexpensive soundcard like an EMU 0404 because I'm assuming that the onboard card just doesn't cut it for any music software uses.

Thanks.

As a random side note, I'm starting to wrap my head around this now. I mean, when I first heard about preamps/samplers/insert-various-types-of-keyboards-here I was like 'whuh?'

I still do actually, but anyway, I think I'll give a soundcard purchase a shot, because nothing within my limited knowledge I do seems to work : d

I also primarily play the guitar primarily too so this could help in the long run.