OCR00943 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Her Azure Eyes"

djpretzel

I must be one of the few people who doesnt like this one little bit.

I dont like the way the strings start and stop like that...

The flute, whilst being a good soundfont and no denying, annoys me with the timing it uses...

The synths irritate me...the rubbery one that breaks in near the beginning (Im at college so I cant d/l and give an actual time, here) just...it sounds completley out of place to me.

The whiney violin strings bug me when they go solo...they sound offkey or something (though this is probably just me) and dont really go with anything...when played with everything else theyre okay...probably because theyre pretty much drowned out by everything else.

Overall, I *really* dont like this track...at all...

But other people do...so I guess Im stupid.

I dunno, if you want a 'crazy' sounding happy track then go for it.

• 2 months later...

Personally, this one appealed to me. I thought that the synth backign works surprisingly well with the flute lead. I enjoyed the fluctuations in tempo and the occaisional breaks. Also, it didn't stray from Azure Lake's theme at all. It maintained the theme and remixed it pleasantly.

And, presonally, whenever I hear the Azure Lake theme in the game I whistle along. It's addictive, what can I say? And this song applies to the same rule. I just have to whistle with this one. Defenitely one of my favs.

• 3 months later...

Ok, just started the song [which is nicely done] over:

00:00 - Nice flute intro.

00:06 - Here come the synths.

00:12 - Here's where the trance comes in.

00:19 - You mixed the electronic trance beat perfectly with the flute. Starts going up from there.

00:34 - The flute still blends semalessly. I have to congratulate you on this.

00:59 - I like how you blended some electronic noises in the background there with the flute doing its own thing with the lower-paced melody.

01:04 - Here come the synths again.

01:12 - Perfectly placed break from the happy-go lucky melody...but it'll come back to haunt me...

01:24 - It's coming back from the break very fast, which is a good thing.

01:38 - You took out the flute there for a little bit and put a synth in its place flawlessly.

01:44 - Here comes the flute again.

01:56 - I like the underwater effect you put here.

02:09 - You aded more ambient electronic sounds with a few appearences from the flute.

02:22 - The flute's back as part of the main melody here.

02:48 - An electronic break from the happiness that's been building up. After that, most of the instruments from the song as a whole come back and build up to 03:26. After that, it's like some underwater percussion instrument leading the closing melody.

Overall, this is probably my favorite mix on OCR, even though I never played any games on any Sega system. Very, very happy. The flute is my favorite instrument in this mix.

Again, nicely done. 99%.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One could almost see an orchestra playing by Azure Lake...on Xanax and with a deejay. Ha, ha!

In all seriousness, this is one of my fave remixes: a lovely, happy, bouncing rendition of one of my fave songs from Sonic III. You don't need Prozac -- just listen to this song, and you'll feel happy!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't even care if I'm saying the same things that everybody else already has, this song deserves it. I always liked the Azure Lake BGM, and this remix embodies everything I liked about the original and instills it with much more emotion. I particularly like the filter sweeps on that wet, fat saw that starts at 00:12--fabulous-sounding synthesis. This is wordless, yet it could be a beautiful love song.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This mix is good for maybe twenty seconds, but it gets really old really quickly. The sounds used are pretty cool, but the arrangement just takes about a five second riff and plays it over and over, and the variations are insufficient to make it interesting.

I'm not familiar with the original, so perhaps it's just because the original only has one riff and is really boring and repetetive as well.

I'm sorry to say that this is not one of DarkeSword's better mixes.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The filtered arp synth seemed to get a little hot a few times, but the rest was pretty good. Nice textures, but they get a little blurred in some spots. I do like the sunny and cheerful mood this one conveys though, and the mix of flute and synth is unique and cool. Drum samples are weak though.

Overall I enjoy the track, but DS has definitely done better. ;-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00943 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Her Azure Eyes"