Super Mario Galaxy: Battlerock remix - Majestic Shenanigans

Theory of N

HOLY SHIT! Ok, so I finally started my first new remix in months and I'm really excited at how awesome it's sounding (in my opinion). I haven't had an idea that just flowed out like this since my first two mixes. But when that happens, you get in a hurry and miss little things and become biased to certain sounds that probably don't sound good...so I could use some feedback :)

http://ton.escariot.net/songs/remixes/MajesticShenanigans.mp3

Very nice piece! As I'm not a composer myself, I can't give any advice when it comes to any of the technical stuff, but as a fan of the Galaxy soundtrack, I really like this. To me it's a very relaxed variant on the official piece, which is often what I like to hear from remixes. Nice job! :-)

A very different feel than the source, but I recognize the source in the wip, so it's all good.

The pad might be a bit too heavy on the low range, it makes the whole piece a little muddy. It doesn't bother the melody, being loud and clear, and far up in the frequency range, but it makes the lower range a little muddy imo. The higher range, on the other hand, feels a bit empty, but I think that's more of a matter of personal taste.

Overall, I think it's a little too repetitive, but then again, it's relaxing enough for that not to matter. To me anyway. Soundscape is good, bass interesting, and progression nice. I don't like the hihats you've used, one of the samples is too ticky, another too long. A solo on the gliding high-range background instrument would be cool, even if it was a short one. The instrument plays in the end of the break near the end.

I like it.

Some of those note slices... rolls things, sound accidental, not deliberate. Hard to say which ones, but have a listen to that, and get rid of those that don't sound deliberate.

Chord/key changes after 3 mins - good. Makes it less repetitive. Consider varying the soundscape a bit prior to that, it gets a little repetitive. Actually, you could drop the levels on the soundscaping a little, this feels more like a soundscape than a remix at times.

Aside from that, I don't think I have anything else to say that'd be useful. Good luck with the track, man.

• 1 month later...