OCR00945 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Big Shell West Bristol"

djpretzel

I don't have the knowledge to technically critique a musical piece and saying: "Wow, this is a great mix! Keep up the good work!" feels a little trite, so I'll say something else.

Ben, this mix was stuck in my head all day long today. It's dark, eerie, yet somber atmosphere somehow hit close to home, and it slowly started to make me feel depressed. And even though I was kind of sad, I still couldn't stop thinking about it, nor did I want to stop. You could say, it was kiiling me, but I loved it (cookie to whoever gets the reference :wink: ). It stuck with me while driving to class, during midterms, lunch, study session, and it's in my head now. Most likely, I'll hear it in my sleep. And I can't think of a better compliment than that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go download whatever I can find from this "Portishead", of which you speak. :)

ok this is my first post in this forum so ill use it to honor this GREAT remix i mean its the best thing ive heard so far on this wonderfull site with plenty of intresting music

my only coment is...........WOW im speachless ive played the game and heard the ending credits music but i never knew it could be made this way and ive been curently listening to this remix ever since it got upddated on the site i cant belive it im not tired of listening to it yet

OK, I never write reviews like this, but—

What the hell? Ok people, the songs good, but not THAT good. I mean, there really isn't anything amazing about it. Maybe I'm just being biased because I'd already heard the song and didn't like it, but come on. The singing clips, they don't blend together. I don't know if the remixer did that purposely or not, but it doesn't sound good that way. And as far as the best remix on the site? No way. I'm not even keeping it. But everone to their own I suppose...

EDIT: BUT I do like it more then the original anyway, so good job.

The hardest part of the mix was working out the chord sequence to underpin the vocals, I'm not sure its the same as the original track. Took me a couple of evenings looping the vocals and trying to finds the right chords. I'm a drummer first, and a very poor keyboard player so that was hard.

Indeed. That's the part I'm most impressed with. You took a totally acapella solo voice piece and added a chord progression and listenable rhythm. Very impressive considering how little there was to work with in the original. Actually, come to think of it, the original is really dry and boring (though I guess it's part of the atmosphere) and I can actually listen to this one. Just never was a fan of solo vocal music.

As for the choppiness and cutting of the vocals/sounds, that's part of the genre. If you don't like it, you wouldn't like the genre. Good stuff.

D

Here's the reason it's so "good". He took a great song (by some people) and added some of his own stuff to it. Yes the middle section is all his, but the rest is the Can't Say Goodbye To Yesterday (MGS 2) song. Instead of looking at the Blue Prints of the building and useing it as reference, he just simply built around the building, therefore having this "magnificent" song where like half of it is the exact original. That's how I see it anyway.

And yes I know that's what remixing can be, but I don't like how it's getting so much praise for something it didn't really do.

Instead of looking at the Blue Prints of the building and useing it as reference, he just simply built around the building, therefore having this "magnificent" song where like half of it is the exact original. That's how I see it anyway.

Absolutely, that's exactly what I did. That's why I enjoy remixing. I've written hundreds of songs in my life, but remixing enables you to concentrate on other aspects of music creation (textures and arrangement).

I would just like to say that the lyrics might sound bad to someone who has not experienced the feelings the woman is singing about. I did not play the game this is from, not only that, but I have a hard time seeing how the lyrics have anything to do with the game haha. To me, the woman is singing about the fine line between love and hate. That means a lot to me because I am experiencing that feeling right now. The stars and the sky are a constant dream state that one might experience when trying to seperate their feelings, or perhaps the endless amounts of time and space before their eyes, a reflection of one's own uncomrehendable feelings. One's interpretation of lyrics is nothing more than a reflection of one's feelings. I knew those english classes would come in handy! Ever have to read a poem and analyze it? Ugh!

I enjoy this piece of music, and would like to give my thanks to Ben Cousins for sharing it with us. It is excellent in my humble opinion, and has been on my playlist since it was posted. Sometimes it sits alone on my playlist. Anyway, keep up the great work, I expect even better from you next time around haha :D

This mix is great. Haunting, and trippy. It's amazing what Ben's done with what little he had. It puts every song I've ever made to shame. It's funny that something this great can be found on the same site as something as horrendous as One Winged Techno http://remix.overclocked.org/detailmix.php?mixid=OCR00185

And in response to Solid Snake's statements that "everything but the middle section isn't his" and "half of it is the exact original", everything but the melody is Ben's. Which is a lot more than can be said for the majority of mixes on this site, where some people take everything but the bass line from a song. (but there's nothing wrong with that) So while it's ok to have an opinion like, "I don't like this song", don't be insultin a remixer's skillz. =|

• 1 month later...

kamikaze noodle is right, rika muranaka made the original track and the singer is carla white.

as for the remix itself, i have to agree with the others and praise it. however it's not even on the "arrangement" line anymore since it deviates from the original so much. so basically it's one of thsoe remixes that literally re-invent and compose the track.. but hell! i enjoy those too :)

i don't know if djp was right comparing this track to portishead, but it has a similar vibe and feel in some spots. very nice sounds and ideas thrown in there, and decent production. however, i think that you've gone a bit nuts with most reverb levels, i sometimes wished the mix was "fatter". :) also, some of the cuts and percussion breaks/hits felt odd, i'm a fan of idm, trip-hop and experimental stuff but i thought the sudden breaks/hits didn't work so well in that track.

very nice job as a whole though, nice trip-hop skills :) thumbs up.

• 1 month later...

I'm not listening to his advice any more, I hate this. Please no more lyrics.

edit: wow, it's been a loooong time since I first posted this, and I just went back to my posts, and saw this at the end, so I clicked on it, downloaded the song again, and rembered why I deleted it in the first place. Yes it sounds like it took alot of work, and maybe these techniques would work applied to another song, but it just doesn't sound good. Also, Take away the lyrics, and you have a really repetitive song.

and this really shouldn't have been in the MGS game at all. It needed to be more celtic singing, wich is definetly more MGS like

Ah, the lyrics. On their own, as they were in the MGS2 ECTS 2000 and E3 2001 trailers, they're fairly... I don't know, sad, lonely.

In the game itself, on the other hand, they're part of a fairly jarring jazz end theme which is just the bewildering cherry on a very confusing finale cake.

Alright, first I'm gonna start off by saying thank you for remixing something from MGS2. But in contrast to that, I'd like to say- What the heck have you DONE, man?? Ok, that's a bit harsh I admit. But seriously, "Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday" (the ending theme of mgs2 which was used, and isn't really that hard to get a hold of, djpretzel), which is pretty much jazz/soul, mixed with syth?? :banghead: Honestly, how would that look at the end of MGS2 when all the (silent) scenery of NYC slides by at a nice even pace, TRYING to give an overall feel or relaxation and peace, but with synthesized beats over it? I dunno, maybe I'm just a hopeless Metal Gear fanatic, but I think the original 7:37 Cant' Say Goodbye To Yesterday, with nice relaxing piano and sax music, put over the slow scrolling of the ending images, gives more of a feeling of accomplishment and tranquility. And ok, I KNOW it's a remix and that it's not supposed to neccessarily fit in with the game, but still, I'm anal about things like this. And remember, this is only my opinion, so take that however you want. 8) ...But I say again-- :vomit:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well of course it has lyrics - its a remix of the end credits, i dont know why someone said this song was originally voice only - theres the piano which is also in this remix.

This SHOULD have been the end credits - i mean the original is cool and all but damn this just adds that bit of MGS style that people who finished MGS2 (like myself) deserve.

(Raiden is the bomb)

• 3 weeks later...
This SHOULD have been the end credits - i mean the original is cool and all but damn this just adds that bit of MGS style that people who finished MGS2 (like myself) deserve.

I'd have to agree... this is arguably one of the best songs on here, and the way it sounds just makes me wanna sing with it... and I'm not much of a singer

Brilliance - The track is so different to most others I've heard recently... and I thought Mr_44's Rez Fear Remix was original, but this is just on a whole different level. It's easy to tell this is an end credits remix unless you've never got to the end of the game, or if you havent watched the end credits. What's with the West Bristol thing? I actually live in the Bristol area of the UK, so I found the title quite amusing...

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00945 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Big Shell West Bristol"