OCR00945 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Big Shell West Bristol"

djpretzel

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Terrific. One of the best. When I explain to people that I prefer OC-Remixes to actual music, they look at me as if I'm listening to 8-bit samples - Mr Cousins is the epiphamy of OCR, in that you can listen to videogame music anywhere if it's produced well enough - triumphant. This is not just my favourite OC-Remix, it's my favourite song period.

Congratulations Ben! Keep up the good work!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Did I comment on this one? Apparently not. Excellent song. Amazing genre conversion. Some people may say it repeats ad verbatim, but it doesn't really need much more in my opinion. One thing though, after going back to the original version (I played Substance in 2004), I felt that only using a fraction of the lyrics was holding the remix back from its full potential. I understand that the voice clips were taken from the trailer, though, which only had the first two lines. I think I can forgive you. :wink:

• 4 months later...

This song is so.. so. so damn good.. It almost make me cry. >Well im drunk when i write this but i have heard this song before and its just. damn to good. Sounds like a theme song to an old James bond movie. and man i love James Bond movies (the old ones). keep it up. this is clearly one of the best songs on OCremix.. Love you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The hardest part of the mix was working out the chord sequence to underpin the vocals, I'm not sure its the same as the original track. Took me a couple of evenings looping the vocals and trying to finds the right chords. I'm a drummer first, and a very poor keyboard player so that was hard.

Indeed. That's the part I'm most impressed with. You took a totally acapella solo voice piece and added a chord progression and listenable rhythm. Very impressive considering how little there was to work with in the original. Actually, come to think of it, the original is really dry and boring (though I guess it's part of the atmosphere) and I can actually listen to this one. Just never was a fan of solo vocal music.

As for the choppiness and cutting of the vocals/sounds, that's part of the genre. If you don't like it, you wouldn't like the genre. Good stuff.

D

zircon: is this track really as simple as you insist. One of the toughest judges ever suggested otherwise.

well, i really don't think the complexity is in question (as zircon meant to say overreliance on sampling). As many have pointed out, the backing music that BC did add does follow the chord structure/melody of the original, albeit moving it from a jazz piece to triphop instrumentation. The arrangement of the original is there - which is impressive given that BC was working with a clip of the song and not the actual song.

The issue at hand is the direct sampling of the source. In this case, I feel that the genre adaption/processing on the vocals does help a lot. I mean, it's not like he ripped the track and pasted it over his mix. He built a new song around it - while still keeping to the progression of the original - in a completely different style. In my opinion, this song fits under OCR's guidelines moreso than the other song on OCR to do this - Jared Hudson's FFX remix, which was contested during the last lockdown and ended up being kept on the site. Going back and rereading all the lockdown decisions on that song, I can pretty much apply everything said to this track.

I don't think it's really even being contested. Taking a rip and adding your own stuff under it is just not what this site is about any moreso than the Black Lodge remix is. Basically this was one of our criteria when considering mixes; if you took out all the directly sampled material, what would you be left with? In this case, basically nothing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm bloody upset this is one of the first mixes I ever got from this site years ago because I can't see how anyone can top it. I'm very happy to see bencousins are still checking the reviews because I think this track needs to be put up against some of the WORLD'S BEST video game tracks and not only can it hold it's own, I still truly believe this tops them. I've played it for people who swore it was a commercial song. Hell, *I* still have to remind myself it's not. Take pride in this masterpiece, Bencousins....take pride.

An absolutely SMASHING song

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00945 - Metal Gear Solid 2 "Big Shell West Bristol"