OCR01705 - Xenogears "Babel: A Prison of Fate"

djpretzel

Beautiful and expertly-performed. Will showed me this and actually asked if I thought it was worth submitting. C'mon, man! :lol: The themes arranged here are among my favorites from the Xenogears soundtrack, and while there are a number of remixes of them already, this one stands apart as a very unique interpretation.

Now, let's all bug Will and get him to submit more stuff!

Well, I'm a long time listener, first time reviewer, and I think I'll start reviewing now. I've had this account for a while but never really got around to posting anything.

Overall, very talented piano playing here. The beginning was an attention hook, very nice way to start out with a solo peice. The song held my attention despite the repetidive melody and it was ful of emotion and style. With piano music I usually don't like it in a steady beat- this one didn't stick to any specific beat yet it still kept flowing at an artistic level.

There isn't anything that I think I can critique on this one, I think its just about as good as it can get. So, nice work!

I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, I guess I'm just typing out my disembodied thoughts and overall impression. So, I hope you can make sense out of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice music, I was never into the source too much, but when presented like this, it's a completely different story. It's arrangements like this that make me take a second (or in this case, maybe 30th) look at the source, and finding something previously hidden.

This is super moody and mysterious sounding, and it shifts between sections and feelings seamlessly. It's somewhat strange for me to say excellent sustain pedal usage, but your timing on it is excellent, and it really kicks up the mix.

Very well played, sir. I really enjoy this.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I never realized how many piano pieces were on OCR. And all the better for it, I feel.

Slow, contemplative piano arrangements can very easily be cliche, contrite and uniformally dull, and it's just a show of the talent pool here at OCR that that is never the case. Another superfine piano piece here, covering some emotive Xenogears tunage. The concept is almost too obvious, and done time and again because of it, but rest assured it's more a pleasure than a chore to add another one to the pile. Nice work.

• 1 year later...

Somehow I completely missed this one. I heard it for the first time a few minutes ago and I love it. Beautiful, expressive playing. Really fluid, too. It helps that the original is one of my favorite pieces (from one of my favorite soundtracks), but this is an excellent remix, either way.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01705 - Xenogears "Babel: A Prison of Fate"