Is it just me or is this guy really messed up?

BluefoxIcy

I second Kiko Loureiro.

Hell yeah.

Also, James Malone from Arsis. He does the vokills and plays lead.

Most of you will absolutely hate the vocals, I know, but ignore them and focus on the guitar. And yes, the quality does suck, but it's the best I could find.

Most of you will absolutely hate the vocals, I know, but ignore them and focus on the guitar. And yes, the quality does suck, but it's the best I could find.

I don't like statements like this, since to me music is about the total package. A fraction of a good song does not a good song make.

I don't like statements like this, since to me music is about the total package. A fraction of a good song does not a good song make.

Music IS about the total package, but it's about how the various instruments & voices are used to recreate a particular concept. Growling, thrash tones, etc. may not be the most appealing sound to your ears, but sometimes they're used in such a way to further what you take away from the music, especially when it comes to dark imagery (as tends to be in these cases).

Not all musicians think that a fraction of a good song makes a song good.

They should. The final product is nothing but the sum of its parts.

Think of it like a movie. It might have its good parts and its slow parts, but overall it's enjoyable, right?

That's how I feel about music. I love (old) In Flames guitar work but have never cared for "RARRRG" vocals, but the guitar melodies are SO good that I can easily disregard that and find them to be good (if not GREAT) songs.

To clarify my statement, most people have an almost rabid hatred of non-clean vocals and will quickly dismiss a band because of those vocals. This is something I was fulling expecting to happen and my comment was mainly added to (hopefully) circumvent any "omg those vocals are teh gay Arsis sucks" type comments that appear too often when these types of bands are brought into a discussion and aim the focus of these peoples' attention to the guitars (which are the most important aspect of a band like Arsis anyway, as the genre of music that they play puts little emphasis on vocals and places it primarily on musicianship).

Personally, James Malone is one of my favorite vokillists, so taking his voice in with the rest of the song does nothing to weaken it for me.

That's how I feel about music. I love (old) In Flames guitar work but have never cared for "RARRRG" vocals, but the guitar melodies are SO good that I can easily disregard that and find them to be good (if not GREAT) songs.

The guitar work is really the only reason I listen to bands such as (old) In Flames, Bodom, Opeth, and Lamb of God. In the case of LOG I can get into the vocals a bit, cuz Randy is just that good.

Also, Vai is awesome.

To clarify my statement, most people have an almost rabid hatred of non-clean vocals and will quickly dismiss a band because of those vocals. This is something I was fulling expecting to happen and my comment was mainly added to (hopefully) circumvent any "omg those vocals are teh gay Arsis sucks" type comments that appear too often when these types of bands are brought into a discussion and aim the focus of these peoples' attention to the guitars (which are the most important aspect of a band like Arsis anyway, as the genre of music that they play puts little emphasis on vocals and places it primarily on musicianship).

Personally, James Malone is one of my favorite vokillists, so taking his voice in with the rest of the song does nothing to weaken it for me.

Arsis is pretty damn amazing from a technical standpoint. Lately I've been listening to them nonstop.

Also, there's nothing wrong with death growls. They're done like any other vocals, except that you have to train your vocal chords to distort your voice as you sing. Proper death growls require just as much vocal training as any other type of singing to not permanently injure your voice. Something technically difficult to accomplish and something that, when you listen to enough, you learn to appreciate.

I don't listen to the radio either, but I've at least heard of Vai.

He also did the Mjolnir Mix for Halo 2, which is a downloadable song on GH3, so you can't even use that as an excuse...

That I didn't know, however, bluefox not knowing who Vai is, is laughable at best. At worst, it shows just how much he DOESN'T know. So, there you have it.

Also bluefox, that wasn't to flame you...entirely...just to get you to wake up to the bigger picture, and make less crapfest type posts. Also, listen to Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King, Albert King, Muddy Waters (YES, THAT IS THE NAME OF ONE OF THE GREAT BLUES PLAYERS OF ALL TIME), and others. You need to broaden your musical horizons, also, move out of your parents house...

NOW.

Also bluefox, that wasn't to flame you...entirely...just to get you to wake up to the bigger picture, and make less crapfest type posts. Also, listen to Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, BB King, Albert King, Muddy Waters (YES, THAT IS THE NAME OF ONE OF THE GREAT BLUES PLAYERS OF ALL TIME), and others. You need to broaden your musical horizons, also, move out of your parents house...

Working on both. And I <3 blues, the sound of a smooth overdriving 6V6 is awesome. (I'll take a $6 tube over a $1000 pedal any day)