OCR01706 - Mario Kart 64 "Day's End"

djpretzel

Epic is definitely the word that describes this remix best. This is going to sound cheesy as hell, but the song really has a feeling of an end which, at the same time, is a new beginning, with the whole world, full of opportunities and new adventures, opening up in front of the listener.

This song is amazing and epic? Know what enhances that even more? AudioSurf.

Man, it's one of my favorite tunes to play on there. It just feels like (as stated above) I saved the universe and I got this track as a reward - and it was completely worth it, cause the women hear it, and now they want to hop in my Kart.

Er, yeah, awesome mix budd(ies/y). :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This mix is...inspiring. Powerful. Lovely. Not only that, but hearing it reminds me of the N64 days when my sisters and I would play this for hours on end. I always liked the end credits music and the awesome scenes that accompanied it, and this piece takes the track above and beyond its origin. Great job.

I remember listening to this when it was just a WIP from Audix. I loved it, played it almost daily for a month, and then kind of forgot about it. When it showed up on the main page I noticed Tweek had added some melodies to it and liked this new version even more. Then it sort of fell into the fog of forgetfulness again until I was cleaning my desktop and noticed it sitting there. This is such a beautiful tune - I particularly love the piano, which moves my heart and pushes me to tears.

Great work, definitely in my top-OCR list.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The funny thing is, this song, and those who worked on it, were the reason I registered at this fine website. The reason for my somewhat impulsive joining is mostly due to the fact that I want to humbly thank those involved in the creation of this track, and to tell them as personally as possible that it touched me so deeply and so genuinely, that this song is actually on my playlist for my wedding ceremony. As I wait for my bride to appear at the end of the walk, the wonderful and magical melodies of this track will turn the gorgeous site we have chosen for the ceremony to shame, and the blush on my brides face will glow only brighter from the influence of this wonderful song.

Thank you. Thank you so very, very much.

• 1 month later...

Brilliant - 5/5

- - -

This is one of those tracks that is so inventive fun to listen to. The source material is great, and this remix not only captures it and improves upon it. It may stand just over five minutes in length, but you'll soon forget that it's been playing for that amount of time. The ideas introduced early re appear with a little different flavor each time and keeps it sounding fresh. Wonderful track!

• 3 weeks later...
The funny thing is, this song, and those who worked on it, were the reason I registered at this fine website. The reason for my somewhat impulsive joining is mostly due to the fact that I want to humbly thank those involved in the creation of this track, and to tell them as personally as possible that it touched me so deeply and so genuinely, that this song is actually on my playlist for my wedding ceremony. As I wait for my bride to appear at the end of the walk, the wonderful and magical melodies of this track will turn the gorgeous site we have chosen for the ceremony to shame, and the blush on my brides face will glow only brighter from the influence of this wonderful song.

This is awesome.

But hardly surprising. This really is one of OCR's all-time greats.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome. How did it go? Glad to have been a small part of it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I know some forums might consider this a necropost, but I just joined today, and I felt like I needed to post a review for this one.

I remember when I first heard the source track. We got our copy of the game used, so everything was unlocked. We had finished a Grand Prix, and the screen stayed black for longer than usual. Then the credits popped up, and the song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day. It was probably one of the best game tracks I had ever heard.

Flash forward a couple of years (it took us a while to stumble onto the credits). I'm just browsing through the site, looking for remixes from games I know. I clicked the preview for this one and . . . 8O:puppyeyes::)!!. I think that sums up the process of my reaction.

This remix captured everything that made the original track good, and then made it better. The emotion and feeling of accomplishment is still there. In fact, I think it's been intensified. When I re-read the review and found out that the guitar part wasn't even part of the original plan, it became even more amazing. Something about the guitar/piano combo here just works for me, and the other instruments/ambient sounds give it that full sound.

2 thumbs up, 5 stars, and a couple of awards for this one!

• 3 months later...

Definitely one of the best remixes on this site. I've been listening to this song for a while now and it really does not get old. It does the source justice but I also believe it's better than the source. It's also just good to listen to for anything, not just reminiscing over the game it's from. Awesome work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is my hands down my favorite remix on the site. I could ramble on about the technical aspects of this tune that I liked, but my love of this piece really boils down to one specific thing--it perfectly conveys the satisfaction I felt as a child when I dominated Mario Kart. This mix takes me back to the good ole days when everything was simple. Fantastic job! Keep up the good work guys! :D

• 1 year later...

I didn't really remember Mario Kart's music before I listened to this mix. It never stood out to me.. but this mix in particular does a good job in taking the source above and beyond. There's a lot of emotion put into this mix, and the main melody hits me hard every time I hear it. I kind of feel like this would work well as a credits theme to a main series Mario game.

The section at 2:50 is really beautiful in particular. Great arranging here. The textures really brought this song to life.

Great job!

Thanks a lot for making this remix. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Oh god. This needs an infinite extension. It's so delightful. The instrumentation is so neat - orchestra, piano, acoustic guiatrs and soft percussion. I love how varied this mix is - from powerful orchestra sections it changes to more laid-back ones - with guitars, piano and soft percussion, and vise versa. This is definitely staff roll theme - relaxing, soaring, uplifting, with strong sense of joy. It's perfect to listen to during sunset. Great work!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01706 - Mario Kart 64 "Day's End"
  • 4 years later...

Grand, epic and triumphant, this is a victory song done right. But the best part to me is that it doesn’t overdo it or blast in your face. More like a musical version of having that feeling of accomplishment when you succeed. Great ReMix, no doubt.