OCR00308 - Final Fantasy "Duque Battle"

Saunders

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This song rocks! Anyone who played Final Fantasy 1 will remember the original battle theme that was the base for all that came later, and this mix does it much justice with great guitars and drums. I thought the original theme was annoying with its crappy NES sound system, but this mix takes the song and really makes it kick ass. It also stays true to the original arrangement of the song, which not only allows you to appreaciate the original more, but really distinguishes it from other battle theme mixes and avoids confusion with battle themes from the other FF games as well as by other remixers.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A good one, has the tempo that really makes it into a battle theme, but I didn´t really like the improvised guitarplay, sounded a little weird. The drums were practically all over the place during the mix, Duque made a good rock-mix for beeing a beginner, I say well done. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I feel a little unfair, considering this mix was made way back in 2001 and here I am in 2009 expecting it to be at the forefront of musical production. So I'm not going to be too negative about it.

I usually find something to enjoy in every remix, and this one is no exception. At the very least, I can enjoy Nobuo's great composition. But the problem with this mix is that there is a lacking of enjoyable features. It sounds considerably washed out for some reason; I had to turn up my volume quite a bit to get it to normal levels. The drums are very MIDIish and the guitar just isn't the winning backbone that it should be. I also don't think the mix is correctly justified, being a complete cover and even moreso, not breathing stylistic or instrumental life into it. Its length is probably the mix's biggest success; one more repeat of the main tune would have really made it a chore to listen to and a mix to dread. As it stands now, its a harmless track that is over before you know it, and it definately will not have any impact on you at all. If you've heard the source material, you've heard this.

Well, not to be cruel or anything, but this is a perfect example of why people shouldn't complain about the standards benig raised so high here. We would consistantly be getting mixes like this, and the other great music that comes it's way here would be drown out.

I don't even know if I need to say anything about this. It's an example of old OC (and why I don't really miss it too much). Even for the time, it's hard for me to sit through.

• 9 months later...

Super rigid drums to start things off. Guitars sounds like they're played capably, if not pretty straightforward. Production-wise, this sounds pretty typical of the remixing era it came out of - most (including this one) just don't stand up well to anything from the recent past. Unfortunately, the arrangement doesn't help things much - basically a straight up cover here. Sorry, good for 2001, but doesn't stand the test of time.

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00308 - Final Fantasy "Duque Battle"