OCR Fitness Club/Competition?

Steben

Remember reading this thread a while back...how did you end up doing with your goals, OA?

I've been in a holding pattern for about six months after two years of dedicated training (I'm 6'3 and was 150 pounds, now I'm holding steady at about 190.)

I have hit a hard plateau and can't seem to gain any more muscle. Ideally I'd like to be around 210 (big enough to look good but to where I can still scratch my own back.) I'd be really interested in any thoughts or advice from anyone who can help.

Already getting about 150 grams of protein a day, eating about five meals, working out 3-4 days a week, etc.

My initial goals have all been achieved, and it's time to set up some new goals. Since 2 years ago, i've gone from 175 to 155lb (5'9), while slowly building a lot of strength. For example, when I started, I couldn't do a single pullup, but now have a personal best of 19 continuous ones.

I've been working on strength and endurance gains now, and to help keep me from getting bored, and also for keeping my workout varied.

NEW Goals (for 2012 i guess, but i've started already)

Endurance:

100 continuous pushups

25 continuous pullups

Strength:

Be able to bench press friends at parties (current max is 210, but dumbells are more compact and less wiggly. I could maybe manage smaller friends now)

As for your plateau, it sounds like you need to mix up your workout a bit, though I guess I don't know your genetic max potential. What is your current program?

Damn, I envy you - I want to do 20+ pullups pretty bad, and I'm only up to 12. Had to go from 220the a year ago with 0 pullups.

I want to do 20+ as well; hopefully we can both hit our goals. :-)

How are you specifically training them?

A good way to mix it up is to have different ways of doing them. I have the generic 8x4 sets, 5x4 with weights, 5x10 ( this is awesome to do during MTG online drafts. Make a few picks, do 5 pullups, repeat :-) ), and single set to failure. Another way to approach it is to have a specific number of pullups you'll do in mind, and then do them, taking as many 60 second breaks as you need. your sets might look like 9-7-5-3-3-2-2-1-1-1-1, but getting your body to adapt to doing that many at once is helpful once in awhile, and is good at breaking plateaus. I was stuck at a max of 14 FOREVER, and really had to kick it up to break through.

As for your plateau, it sounds like you need to mix up your workout a bit, though I guess I don't know your genetic max potential. What is your current program?

I follow a modified P90-X that relies on most of the same exercises, though tuned for mass rather than tone. I always stick to the 8-10 rep range and I use free-weights rather than body weight whenever possible (i.e. instead of dips I do tricep extensions.) Admittedly, the workout is getting stale even though I mix it up at least every month.

P90-X2 hits real soon, so hopefully it will bring some new methods. Any thoughts are more than welcome though.

Congrats on your progress; my best ever on pull-ups was 18 :x, so you've got me beat. As for pushups...my wingspan definitely kills me on there.

Try increasing weight and lowering reps for a few workout sessions; going down to 5 reps and increasing weight by 20% will force your body to adapt to more weight than it is used to, and the reduced reps will mean you can still do full sets.

Also, have you considered drop sets or supersets?

and 18 pullups at your weight is incredible to me, so super nice work :D

Thanks, but those 18 were done back when I weighed about 160. Could probably only manage about ten right now, but then that's the tradeoff for bulk. (When you are 6'3 and 140 as a junior in high school, you pray for bulk.)

I do supersets fairly regularly, especially with biceps and triceps. I try to do it with shoulders and chest but that is my absolute worst area in terms of keeping form and sticking through the pain (especially on chest exercises). I enjoy it on bi's and tri's though.

Another problem is my lack of equipment for leg exercises. Any ideas on what I can do with free weights? (besides squats and lunges.)

Start doing squats. Gain 5 pounds. Aww yeah.

Noobie gains are awesome. And squats are awesome. I haven't been able to workout in a week, but Starting Strength is probably the best program I've ever been on. To all the nubs out there, I recommend you try it.

I have hit a hard plateau and can't seem to gain any more muscle. Ideally I'd like to be around 210 (big enough to look good but to where I can still scratch my own back.) I'd be really interested in any thoughts or advice from anyone who can help.

Changing up your workouts is a good idea like OA said, but you may also want to try eating more. An easy way to make sure you're getting enough protein and calories to gain weight while strength training is to try GOMAD. Drinking a gallon of milk a day. I probably wouldn't just start drinking that much on day one though. Start off by adding a glass of whole milk after your workouts if you aren't already, or at breakfast or some other meal if you prefer and already have a post-workout snack you enjoy. See how your body responds and gradually increase it from there. Once you're at your goal weight though you'll definitely want to cut back a bit on the milk though.

Hmmm. I could give GOMAD a try; I love me some milk anyway. I hope it helps. I'm concerned that most of the problem is that I'm a natural ectomorph (tall and skinny). It was an uphill battle to gain the forty pounds that I did, and I'm afraid my body just won't let me have anymore.

Oh well. I'll try anything!

Side effects of GOMAD is lots of acne and liquid stool. Some people won't get acne, but if you're doing the full gallon and you're not eating food with each glass of milk, you're going to have painful bathroom trips.

And, Soul Splint, how many calories do you eat on average a day? I always thought I was an "ectomorph", but then I calculated it and I was only eating like <1000 calories every day. So, keep that in mind. Since I started eating lunch outside I've put on a lot of weight cause most meals come in 1000 calories servings, so, it might just be that you're not eating enough.

Side effects of GOMAD is lots of acne and liquid stool. Some people won't get acne, but if you're doing the full gallon and you're not eating food with each glass of milk, you're going to have painful bathroom trips.

And, Soul Splint, how many calories do you eat on average a day? I always thought I was an "ectomorph", but then I calculated it and I was only eating like <1000 calories every day. So, keep that in mind. Since I started eating lunch outside I've put on a lot of weight cause most meals come in 1000 calories servings, so, it might just be that you're not eating enough.

Back when I was actively trying to gain weight, I was averaging above five thousand a day. In the last six months I would say I've been averaging three thousand. Trust me, I'm a true ectomorph.

So it looks like with all that food I'll be a prime candidate to try GOMAD.

But thanks for the concern for my...evacuation systems.:)

Ah the joys of doing Fran.

As to the talk of bowel movements when doing GOMAD, I never really experienced any problems when I was drinking about 1.5L/day. Oddly enough I wasn't actively trying to gain weight, I just really like whole milk. Funny considering my sister, and my mom to a lesser extent, are lactose intolerant.

Ah the joys of doing Fran.

As to the talk of bowel movements when doing GOMAD, I never really experienced any problems when I was drinking about 1.5L/day. Oddly enough I wasn't actively trying to gain weight, I just really like whole milk. Funny considering my sister, and my mom to a lesser extent, are lactose intolerant.

NOTE: doing gomad can actively develop lactose intolerance so if you like anything with lactose in it (cake, cheese, milk, chocolate, pizza, smoothies, sandwiches, cheeseburgers, almost all american cooking) i would caution you to NOT DO THIS

i mean seriously there are much better and more effective ways to create the same result without being crazy, making your anus turn into a literal mudhole, and making everyone around you uncomfortable.

Start doing squats. Gain 5 pounds. Aww yeah.

Noobie gains are awesome. And squats are awesome. I haven't been able to workout in a week, but Starting Strength is probably the best program I've ever been on. To all the nubs out there, I recommend you try it.

Yeaaaaah, Starting Strength is the shit. I did that for 3 months with a modified Leangains approach to diet (did it Paleo style) and put on friggin' 12 lbs of muscle. Then I fell out of a tree, hurt my back, and haven't been able to work out for 5 months. Great.

Looking to get back into the gym next week.

My thoughts on GOMAD or any faddish diet where you binge on a single type of food is "NO, resubmit".

Once you are out of your teens, super fast gains are very unlikely, but anyone can succeed with the slow and steady approach. You may have reached your genetic max, and if that's the case, not a ton you can do. I'd talk to a doctor with a background in nutrition if you are trying to eke out that last percentage point or two.

My short term goal is to shave down a single % of bodyfat, in prep for the deliciously dangerous holiday season. :-)

I'll just be doing a light carb cycling for a week and a half, which is easy enough in the short term. Thanks to the awesomeness of some online calorie calculators, I have my meals all planned. Thankfully I am quite capable of eating ridiculously boring meals that people have described as both 'plain' and 'gross', though simple Chipotle salads qualify really well for low carb days.

My thoughts on GOMAD or any faddish diet where you binge on a single type of food is "NO, resubmit".

It's not like anyone was telling him to only drink milk. Adding more milk to your diet is just a fairly simple and easy way to make sure you get enough calories and protein to experience better muscle gain. Dairy lobbyists have been telling governments to get people to drink more milk for years anyway. :D It's no more a fad than drinking whey protein shakes if you're looking to gain mass.

Once you are out of your teens, super fast gains are very unlikely, but anyone can succeed with the slow and steady approach.

No, not everyone can. Simply eating the same amount of food as usual and working out isn't enough for some people. The reason people recommend milk is because it's easy to add into the diet without substantially increasing the amount of food you eat throughout the day. Even adding a glass with breakfast and after a workout (or mixing your whey with milk if you drink protein shakes) will probably make a difference for people who have trouble gaining.

I'd talk to a doctor with a background in nutrition if you are trying to eke out that last percentage point or two.

If you can find one of those then good on you. From what I understand a lot of doctors receive little if any nutritional training in med school. And my own experience with them tends to match that. Mind you, the same applies to asking your doctor before starting an exercise program. Unless they happen to specialize in sport medicine they probably don't have a sweet clue what is and isn't safe or effective. :D

If you can find one of those then good on you. From what I understand a lot of doctors receive little if any nutritional training in med school. And my own experience with them tends to match that. Mind you, the same applies to asking your doctor before starting an exercise program. Unless they happen to specialize in sport medicine they probably don't have a sweet clue what is and isn't safe or effective. :D

This, this and THIS.

It's incredibly infuriating to ask a doctor a question like "How can I gain more lean mass when I'm already using large amounts of calories and protein," or "What's the best rep range to optimize muscle mass" and have them stare at you like you just revealed an extra set of nipples.

Given, I know that's not what they expect to deal with, but every doctor should know a little something about how to optimize the human body rather than just fix its problems.

And yes, I plan on soon adding a glass or two of whole milk to my daily routine, and I'll scale it up depending on the success I have, if any. If it works wonders I may try to get up near a gallon a day. I set out for sixty pounds and I've already got forty; if it takes a little bit of temporary acne/bowel changes to reach it, then so be it.

Once you are out of your teens, super fast gains are very unlikely, but anyone can succeed with the slow and steady approach. You may have reached your genetic max, and if that's the case, not a ton you can do. I'd talk to a doctor with a background in nutrition if you are trying to eke out that last percentage point or two.

THIS

Trying to gain strength/muscle mass super quick is a near-guaranteed way to get injured -- which, in addition to majorly sucking in and of itself, will prevent you from training for awhile, and set you way back, accomplishing exactly the opposite of what you want.

Slow and steady is always the way to go. Push your body to its limits, sure, but don't try to push PAST those limits.

Anyway, as for my own status, since I haven't updated in forever:

I'm officially retired as a competitive gymnast, but I'm still doing enough rings training to stay in pretty good shape. Still got my iron cross, my planche, my nakayama (pull from back lever to cross), my maltese on a good day, and my azarian (backward roll to cross) on a great day.

My diet is what really needs work -- it's been inconsistent and unhealthy, and I'm absolutely positive I could be in much better shape if I ate better.

On my end, it's been about 4 years since I've trained consistently or done regular martial arts and gymnastics... but, I've missed it, and as of a few weeks ago I'm getting back into it. I agree with Taucer - push yourself, but don't kill yourself.

As to the diet, a few simple rules to follow will make a HUGE difference:

1. Avoid sugar. Sodas, candies, sweets, etc, just avoid it. Get the sugar-free versions of whatever you can that you still feel you need to eat.

2. Avoid breads and potatoes. Lots of starch and carbs that really don't do a lot nutritionally there... just avoid it, and you won't have to work off that extra fat. Try hot dogs without the bun, for example.

3. Lots of meat, lots of veggies. Period.

Incidentally if any of y'all are in the Syracuse area, I'm thinking of starting up a little informal Capoeira group there for training, come Spring of 2012 - http://www.syracusecapoeira.com. I still have to work a lot of rust out of my own system before I'll personally be ready, but it could be a lot of fun.

- Mazedude