Zelda: Twilight Princess 'Midna's Deperate Hour (No Hope Mix)'

The Vagrance

I'm back from lurking around and not posting. My previous remix attempts have been kinda half-assed and I haven't finished one in the longest so I'm trying to get back on the wagon and make some.

I've mainly been working on oodles of original stuff (going to put out an EP soon) but while I was playing through Twilight Princess (something I've been meaning to do since it came out) I heard this song and instantly fell in love with it. Immediately after hearing it, I searched for the MIDI file, then turned around and began plunking away, attempting to get this finished. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm at least halfway there, but I'm a bit stumped on where to go next. I hope you enjoy what there is so far.

http://media.putfile.com/Midnas-Desperate-Hour-Remix

EDIT: I GOT ACCEPTED! Thank you everyone who helped, specifically Rozovian who constantly busted my balls with each version (an attribute I like) and DrumUltimA who gave me that one final push for more sheen.

This track is bangin. Its like that first breath of cool 7am air. Pretty cold, but you dont mind because you obviously enjoy the cold. At least I do. In any case, i think this is a good track. You do have room to add more to it, but then again i suppose thats why its in this category because its a 'work in progress', haha. Keep it rollin. 8-)

Very reliant on the beat and the looped background pad, which also makes it very repetitive. The first 40 seconds could be cut and it wouldn't make that much a difference to the track.

You're also really low on the middle-middle high frquencies until 2:20. It makes it feel empty. It takes half the track before the bass comes in, that's not good either.

As for source, I do hear and recognize it. The track is pretty minimalistic for mots of it's length. I'd like to hear more personalization in the melody. It currently sounds like you could replace the source with pretty much anything and it wouldn't change the track much.

Repetitive, empty, and with the source not tied to the track properly. It's an interesting approach (with cool beat slicing) but you need to incorporate the source better. It sounds like you tried to stretch a single idea instead or bridging several ideas into a single track. I'd cut everything before 1:30, drop the bass until 1:50, and then work on building the track from there forth, perhaps by adding a similar sounding track from the game.

There's some highlighted problems and suggestions for you. I wouldn't bother with this is I didn't think you'd be able to turn this around and make it so much better. Good luck with the track.

I wouldn't bother with this is I didn't think you'd be able to turn this around and make it so much better. Good luck with the track.

Gee, thanks.

Anyway, I'll take some of your suggestions, like adding something else to the first 12 or 16 bars (I forgot how long it was). As for changing up the melody, that was for sure going to happen after the horribly distorted breakdown. There's no way one could come back from that without going insane with it.

Ok, WIP 2 coming at you. Changes:

- Piano sound now engulfed in a vat of reverb. Also, the "melody" piano has been changed, its a lot more lo-fi sounding now. I kinda like it but I'll see what you guys think.

- Minor drum mix alterations

- Added on an entirely new "break" section. I now need to find someone who would be willing to rap on the track because there's about a 16 bar stretch that it would work well on that I intentionally left open for that purpose.

- The end is leading up to another "I'm insane" breakdown.

I still need to finish the arrangement, do something to the first 16 bars (I'm looking for all of the Midna samples I can find right now), and change up a couple of places in the drums...but aside from that, I'm pretty sure of where I'm going now.

http://media.putfile.com/Midnas-Desperate-Hour-WIP-2

Also big ups to you Radiowar, your Super Mario RPG remix is one of the few here I listen to.

Thanks for working on a mix for this very memorable LOZ:TP track, it's coming along.

I agree with some others that it feels a little stale and has a lot more room to experiment.

I think you have a really great opportunity at 2:28 to really escalate the mix to a new level. Perhaps make it a bit harder and fuller. I like the experimentation you've done with the drums in this track, and it shows you're willing to give the song a bit more of an edge. Now I'd suggest you really take it to the next level and make it slam. The piano is a really strong instrument and you can throw this thing into a full, heavy beat and it'll hold its own. Then, throw some other instruments in to harmonize and I think the composition will feel a lot more complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this thing is still alive. I've been thinking a lot about what people have said about filling the track up more and for the moment I'm going to disagree just to see what the entirety of the tracks turns out like, because I personally really like the empty vibe. But anyway, expect another WIP version within the week with strings, and an ending.

I wouldn't bother with this is I didn't think you'd be able to turn this around and make it so much better.

Hmm... I manage to omit an "if" there. Oops. :D

Anyway, this sounds much better now. It's still very reliant on the beat, and some of the beatslicing feel a bit forced. Make it a part of the sourdscape from earlier on, and consider slicing other instruments as well.

You're also recycling the same bit of source for the whole track. Need something else from source. Or, you can rework it to another key sig, another time sig, another rhythm thing, something.

Whoa, really cool slice fill thing towards the end of it. Then it becomes this same sort'a stale rhythm again. Consider double speed drums for parts of the track, even for short bits.

That's what I've got to say. Cool track, but it gets repetitive and the deviations you do feel a bit inconsistant at times. It's one thing to be unpredictable, but it's best to be unpredictable at the expense of a consistant soundscape. Beatslice a little much earlier, use more source (another source?), drop the beat for a while or double it's speed. Says I, anyway. 'Tis good, tho.

Ok, new version up as promised:

http://media.putfile.com/Midna-Remix-Final-WIP1

Anyway, this sounds much better now. It's still very reliant on the beat, and some of the beatslicing feel a bit forced. Make it a part of the sourdscape from earlier on, and consider slicing other instruments as well.

Not a bad idea at all, I like it a lot actually. My processor's gonna love this...

That's what I've got to say. Cool track, but it gets repetitive and the deviations you do feel a bit inconsistant at times. It's one thing to be unpredictable, but it's best to be unpredictable at the expense of a consistant soundscape. Beatslice a little much earlier, use more source (another source?), drop the beat for a while or double it's speed. Says I, anyway. 'Tis good, tho.

Big ups for you comments this time around, its shone light not only on places that need improvement but also ideas that I'll implement. I do agree with everyone about the beginning though, while I don't think it needs to be cut out I do think it needs something more, same with the last drop because while the strings are nice, they're not exactly cutting it for me.

It's one thing to be unpredictable, but it's best to be unpredictable at the expense of a consistant soundscape.

It's best to NOT be unpredictable at the expense of a consistant soundscape. maybe I should just stay off long sentences in this thread.

11 MB is too much. OCR max size 6MB. Long download. 160Kbit/s is fine.

Pad got bass. Maybe too much. Maybe use other notes. Somewhere. Other octave?

Still repetitive.

Noise behind piano. High piano notes pan, nice.

Slices cool. Maybe use earlier?

Lyrics? Surprised me. Post lyrics. Sounds interesting. Works for me.

Nice return to normal. Really nice.

Ending weird. Not bad. Just weird. Works for me.

Nice remix. Might get YES.

My two cents.

I don't usually do the whole message board thing... not that I don't like to, but I just never feel like its necessary...

But I gotta say--I've been inspired!

Lets start off with a big thanks for remixing this piece--I loved the original, and thought a remix would be nice... the one on here is good, but left me wanting more (and it was too close to the original in some ways).

I kinda kept up with this for a while now... listening to the stages as it went along. I was fairly impressed with the first version, but, like everyone else, thought there was work to be done. Part of it kinda reminded me of "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors... dunno why...

Loved the second version.

Really wasn't sure about the rap thing... it's just not my thing, you know? I liked the break where you were putting it in--it was a nice bit of chill rhythm anyway... Then I heard the version with it in... and see what you mean!! It really fits in well... what are the lyrics btw? Something about Alan Greenspan!?

Overall, really like it... but not the ending... the random breaks during the piece were a little hard for me to endure at times (I'm the sort that gets into a steady beat, and the breaks threw me), but the one at the end... just not a huge fan.

Part of it reminds me of the in-game Snowpeak track (one of their "remixes" of the main theme, with a reversed-sounding piano in parts)... was that intended? Cool if it was, cool if it wasn't.

Awesome job, can't wait to hear the final final!!

I don't usually do the whole message board thing... not that I don't like to, but I just never feel like its necessary...

But I gotta say--I've been inspired!

Lets start off with a big thanks for remixing this piece--I loved the original, and thought a remix would be nice... the one on here is good, but left me wanting more (and it was too close to the original in some ways).

I kinda kept up with this for a while now... listening to the stages as it went along. I was fairly impressed with the first version, but, like everyone else, thought there was work to be done. Part of it kinda reminded me of "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors... dunno why...

Loved the second version.

Really wasn't sure about the rap thing... it's just not my thing, you know? I liked the break where you were putting it in--it was a nice bit of chill rhythm anyway... Then I heard the version with it in... and see what you mean!! It really fits in well... what are the lyrics btw? Something about Alan Greenspan!?

Overall, really like it... but not the ending... the random breaks during the piece were a little hard for me to endure at times (I'm the sort that gets into a steady beat, and the breaks threw me), but the one at the end... just not a huge fan.

Part of it reminds me of the in-game Snowpeak track (one of their "remixes" of the main theme, with a reversed-sounding piano in parts)... was that intended? Cool if it was, cool if it wasn't.

Awesome job, can't wait to hear the final final!!

Thanks.

Yeah, you actually heard "Alan Greenspan" right, which is quite possibly one of the nerdiest things I've ever referencd. The lyrics though:

Get smacked with the invisible hand like Alan Greenspan

Don't try to mess with the new-age iron man

Sorry fellow men, sunshine will now be replaced

So please enjoy this twilight because there is no escape

The system provided has no concerns

So please be prepared to lose life and limb, or at least form

Don't bother the chief, I'm too great to scorn

Don't bother with her, (shes) too late to mourn

As for the breakdowns, I understand what you mean, but are you suggesting they go entirely or are just toned down a bit?

Haha, about Snowpeak...my friend was staying over with me (also a huge music guy, he'll probably work on me with a remix soon and one of my original tracks features him) the week that I was starting this remix so while I was remixing this theme, he started playing through on my Zelda file and beat Snowpeak entirely, so I've never actually experienced any of that part of the game. Immediately after he did this, I copied my file and he went on to complete the game way before me.

What did that have to do with this remix? Absolutely nothing.

No, I don't suggest taking them out... in fact, it's your remix, do what you want... I'd prefer them toned down, but that's me. By all means, don't base your work entirely on what I say!

I wasn't planning on taking them out, but if you thought the transition was too sudden for some of them I was considering re-working it.

Also, to everyone who says the slicing is forced: explain what you mean by that.

You know, I think I'm going to use this crazy wip checklist thing

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[borderline] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Unrealistic sequencing

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[X] Poorly recorded

STRUCTURE

[X] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

I actually think that this is pretty cool, all in all. Love the original track. Lemme explain why I checked off what I did.

I'm borderline with the arrangement on this, because due to the limited melodic material in this mix, I don't actually hear any arrangement of the melody itself--just drum breaks, your rap, and textural changes. Personally I would've liked to hear some more original content, but I think I can let this go based on what you did with everything else.

The first three points I checked under production are with the piano specifically in mind. I think the distortion on the melody is cool, actually--but I heard the left hand of the piano distort too, which I thought threw off the continuity of what was going on. Can you keep the right hand with that distortion and the left hand without it?

Second, I'm not sure if it's the sample or the sequencing (probably a combination of both) but the piano dynamically speaking is pretty static right now. I think you can fix this without changing the sample actually, but I'm really lacking dynamics from the piano right now--both in terms of velocity and level. The left hand could really come to life if you gave it's phrase a more defined shape--perhaps a slight diminuendo as the six note cell ascends? Especially at the beginning of the mix, when it's completely exposed. At least for the first two cells maybe a crescendo-diminuendo as the piano rises and falls. Play around with that. As for the right hand, I don't have as much of a problem with that line being loud and static, because it works with the distortion--however, I would like to hear some dynamic phrasing with the motif that goes "E C G F E"--sort of a crescendo-diminuendo swell on that too. In terms of the samples, I just hear the attack being pretty harsh most of the time, and I like to hear a softer attack often--especially in the left hand. Maybe shave off some higher freqs? You don't want the mix to get too muddy, but perhaps it could help...

I think the idea of that rap break is cool too, and I love the effects you put on your voice! However, it sounds a bit muddy, and I'd like to hear some more of the higher freq range. Is there any way you can boost some of the highs on that? I don't think you'd need to do much--right now it's just hard to understand a lot of your syllables, and I don't think it's as much the performance as it is the mixing.

I checked too repetitive with regard to the beginning of the mix specifically--your drums do some awesome stuff as the mix progresses, but they're quite static in the beginning. From :23-:46, nothing happens but that beat--I think you should either cut this section in half (4 measures of drums instead of eight), or do something with them/the rest of the texture to make it more interesting. Personally, I vote just cut 4 measures out, so you don't have do mess too much with the build you have going on. But the last thing you want to do is lose your listeners before the first minute of the piece.

Anyway I think you have some really cool stuff in here, and I'd like to see this get through! You said you're pretty close to submission and I think it's pretty close too--but don't get antsy! I got antsy with a chrono trigger mix, and the judges handed it right back to me with a nice resubmit on it--and after listening again I realized that it definitely was premature. Good luck!!!

You know what I hate? When Im listening to a song and I click ahead and its pretty much the same thing. Youve got to add more, its too good of a song to have just this.

I've considered this a lot, because as pretty much everyone has said, melody-wise this is a strict interpretation of the source. The deal is though, is that I absolutely love the original version of the song. Any improvising I've done on the original melody has sounded kinda shit to say the least, so I haven't. That said, I tried to make it all progress as each main section occurred, adding a new element each time around. If you don't like it though, thats your thing.

11 MB is too much. OCR max size 6MB. Long download. 160Kbit/s is fine.

Pad got bass. Maybe too much. Maybe use other notes. Somewhere. Other octave?

I missed this the first time around, which I apologize for.

Yeah, I kinda have a weird thing for high bitrates. I'll definitely have to push the bitrate down but for now, let's enjoy another 160Kbits of quality.

This was actually an issue I worked on early in the mix. Right now I think it sounds fine and so far your the only person who's complained about it, but I do agree the mix was a bit bass-heavy.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[borderline] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Unrealistic sequencing

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[X] Poorly recorded

STRUCTURE

[X] Too repetitive

The deal with the piano, is that its actually one Kontakt with multiple Piano instruments open, where the cutoff between the low notes and the lo-fi ones is just done by grouping. The lo-finess (new word) of the highest note of the left hand was due to pure laziness by me, but its fixed now. I also altered the dynamics on both "hands" of the piano.

I also edited the drums for the first half, including adding another break that hints a bit at the slicing to come, which was something discussed earlier.

Also, for my voice I stripped a lot of the unecessary effects, or at the very least toned some of them down. It sounds a lot more natural, which may be a bad thing because I'm kind of a shit rapper.

Anyway, new link: http://www.mediafire.com/?fcyum12wum2

As always, comments are nice.

• 1 month later...