Secret of Mana, Angels fear SID Style C64 Chip Tune

SonGoku-X

Now, why should anything not be worth completing... that is, of course, you've got an idea that's 10x better right behind the one in question. Listening to it right now... repetitive, yes, but it's pretty darn cool. Now something about melodies that repeat. Considering the "techno/upbeat/however you describe this" style that it's in, it's not the same as trance (this piece, that is). What you're doing when you're repeating the same melody over and over in this case is changing or adding one thing in the background/beat every time it repeats. In the case of a trance, I've noticed that's what's done a lot. But because this isn't quite trance and moreso leaning towards the actual melody with support from the beat rather than the beat being the main lead, this repetition of the melody sticks out A LOT. So rather than changing one thing with every repetition, try a different approach with a little more originality, maybe some extensions on the melody itself (via originality), having a quiet section, etc. (the list can go on to what you can do to any music technically speaking). It's cool, but work a bit on making it your own.

Any piece is worth completing - no questions asked. If anything, you should be asking about if you're going in the right direction. Currently, in terms of style, yes. Some other things (repetition top of the list), not so much. I'd comment on other things, but work on this problem before bothering yourself so much on other things that you seem to already have a grasp of. Keep up the good work!

Wow, what a hilarious take on this typically majestic tune. It's fun to listen to this enigmatic song take a turn for the dumpy, waddling, fat penguin feel that the chiptune has given it. No offense, it struck me comedically on an emotional level, and that's better than nothing. :)

I agree with the other critiques in that you need to do something to make the theme feel a little less repetitive. Instrument / harmony changes, maybe have the theme take a break every now and then.

I think ultimately, the awkward instrumentation and repetition can work for you, but you'll have some work ahead of you.

Two (of my personal favorite) tracks come to mind:

http://djpretzel.web.aplus.net/songs/A_Boy_and_his_Blob_Cyborg_Blobby_OC_ReMix.mp3

This track has a much less appreciated and much less dramatic main theme than the Secret of Mana song, but the composer has done ... FANTASTIC things making it never feel repetitive.

http://djpretzel.web.aplus.net/songs/Doom_2_Oldskool_Demon_OC_ReMix.mp3

This track has dumpy, waddling instrumentation as well as a repetitive theme, but makes it work in a way I never expected.

I think in both cases, the composers have made sure that the melodies aren't repeating too often, something that may be solved in your track by slowing it down a bit... as I'm not a musician I can't exactly tell you how to fix your attempt, but I hope these references to similar, but more successful, tracks will help your remix grow.

Personally, I'd love to see your very original take on this classic game track come through full development.