*NO* Bubble Bobble 'Bubble Bandle'

djpretzel

Heya!

Browsing around remix.overclocked today got me to thinking... there hasn't

been any remixes of the Bubble Bobble theme in way too long! So here is the

arrangement of Bubble Bobble/New Zealand Story that I wrote up and force

fed to my high school band to play in concert exactly 2 years ago!

If you want to see more information about it (you know you do) scroll

towards the bottom of this page:

Have fun!

Tatsumakisenpukyaku III

When I was in high school, I composed and conducted a couple pieces for the symphonic band and the chamber choir... so I know that arranging for high school bands is not simple or at least it takes more effort than sequencing for a synthesizer. And this guy's arrangement is fairly nice given that.

However, I also know that I much prefer the 'souless' sound of a synthesizer to the horrid sound of a high school band. And this high school band is no exception, they sound just awful.

eh, I'll get back to this one.

well, I've given this some thoughts.... I can't get past the performance. I of course encourage the use of live instruments, but not if it sounds bad or if you can't record it properly. And this sounds bad. And was recorded poorly. The alto solo is very good though.

anyways, I can't reward the effort of the arranger with a yes when the end product is inferior. It's not really his fault either. But, the only way I could see this being posted on OCR is if it was done on June 15th or whatever day most public high schools start summer. If it was posted on an apt day I wouldn't mind so much, but otherwise...

no

ok, I know this is locked, but I really don't think this should go up. I'm in agreement 100% with analoq on this one, and if we let this through I think it sets a bad precedent for other mixes and then people are like "it's good, but it's played bad, and I wonder why this got through if there are other better mixes that didn't" and we start that whole damn debate over again. Rob, your vote is hardly thought out though I can understand you wanting to see it move on, I don't see that as a reason to forsake reasoning in the case, or at least explaining yourself.

This reminds me a lot of "La Samba De Agua." Live performance. Great arranging, but poor execution. It'd be good to get this music on paper. Hell I might be able to get the band here to play it. Anyway, it looks good on paper, and could SOUND good with the right players, but it really does have a very half-assed (read: high school) sound to it. I wish I had gotten back to this thread before it was locked so I could put a big fat NO on it, but alas. I just hope djp catches this and exerts his veto power again. We'll see..

D

This reminds me a lot of "La Samba De Agua." Live performance. Great arranging, but poor execution. It'd be good to get this music on paper. Hell I might be able to get the band here to play it. Anyway, it looks good on paper, and could SOUND good with the right players, but it really does have a very half-assed (read: high school) sound to it. I wish I had gotten back to this thread before it was locked so I could put a big fat NO on it, but alas. I just hope djp catches this and exerts his veto power again. We'll see..

D

Well, honestly, I'm glad you said something, because I was thinking about it.

I like De Agua better. Here's my take on this - the recording's pretty bad and the playing is ehhhh. If we post it, we are essentially saying "if you're able to get a high school band to play videogame music, we'll post it" - the arrangement is basically taking the original and assigning parts to cover elements of it, then recording the result.

Granted, not everyone can do that, nor does everyone have a band at their disposal. If we posted it, we might need to say "just this once - from here on out, it'd have to be ten times better" - or we can not post it at all. Can anyone help me out? I hate to make vetoing a regular thing.

EDIT: I turned my edit into a reply, see below -prot

I regret not having voiced my opinion earlier, but better now than never:

NO

This does not deserve posting. I had talked to Daniel about this at length, and he and I agreed that many people would wonder if we value live recordings to such a degree that we'd look past mediocre execution, yet not show similar tolerance to synthesized productions. Can you imagine the repercussions this would have being passed amongst the multitudes of rejections? Like djp said, the arrangement is simply a transferal of the original's elements into live instrumentation, with no real original improv. The site has gotten to the point where a single mix can no longer be an exception, for every decision we make further rounds out the unofficial paradigm of protocol that the listeners and prospective mixers look up to.

But constant vetoing will erode the credibility of the panel. How about this: let's hear from those who haven't said anything; if they agree with this camp and vote no, then there'll be no need for a veto. If they vote yes, then it's djp's call.

(As a reply to what Prot just said, sub-par performance is equivalent to off-key instruments and bad notes in the sequenced submissions we'd usually reject)

ERRRRRRR ok, I totally didnt realize we could post on locked forums. I guess that should have been obvious WHO CARES ...

my thoughts are: I thought this remix was FAR more than a simple replaying of a song on a band. It expanded on such a simple short song and turned it into a long detailed performance. Judging by that sole fact alone, I gave it a yes. Secondly, I dont think it was perticularly played bad. If it was, then I suppose I haven't heard many 'good bands' but I must say, my U's band is one of the top in the country and though these guys aren't quite as good, I'd say they were plainly good enough.

I saw more negative reviews regarding recording quality and performance rather than arrangement and 'remix' quality. So I'm guessing that these NOs are more akin to rejecting a great remix because of bad samples/encoding. I personally shouldnt like to see songs on this site limited to instrument quality alone.

-Prot

I regret not having voiced my opinion earlier, but better now than never:

NO

Like djp said, the arrangement is simply a transferal of the original's elements into live instrumentation, with no real original improv.

Ok, I need to go check this. Maybe I was wrong, but I totally thought there was like a HUGE amount of improv and original stuffs.

Hmmm... I think I actually agree 100% with all the reasons given for the previous NO's. The recording is god awful. It completely sounds like someone recorded this on a camcorder and then inputted the audio into their computer and recorded it as an MP3. Very not good. Plus, the musicians, as said before, are sub-par. They make lotsa goof-up's, and just don't sound very well organized.

When these powers combine, THEY ARE CAPTAIN SUCKO!

Okay, but seriously, the musicians and recording quality totally kill this one. I can't comment on the arrangement, but I really don't think I need to.

NO

• 4 weeks later...